Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Mine just did it for the first time yesterday.. backing up out of a parking spot, low speed nearly full lock. =/ Also I know some say it's only when cold.. it was 70* here yesterday.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wonder if it's something about it being "loaded" when parked. I haven't heard it once today and I've been TRYING to replicated it. I know yesterday when I parked the car it stumbled quite a bit more than the norm once in park, and where I park at work is downhill. Normally I just back in, and I've not heard that noise backing into the space, just the one time backing out. I've done a similar maneuver 3x today and haven't gotten anything out of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine does the same thing as manaulforlife, after it has sat for more than an hour if I back out of a drive way or if there is a significant bump I get noises from the front suspension. Almost like it tightens up then after a few minutes or so it goes away. I thought it was the cold temps as well but was in the 60's/70's here all last week and the same noises.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
update on my last dealer service for the gas tank filler recall - about 3 weeks ago asked them to look at it again and check for TSB. nothing was found. have 14k miles on the odometer, still hearing this noise. temps have been in the 90-100 degrees, so im ruling out the cold weather being related.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got more work done on this today at 24k miles. my most recent work order has TSB 02-003/15 whereas this TSB wasnt mentioned before.

there is a revision to the TSB

KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT STRUT BEARING - 2013-2016 Mazda CX-5 & 2014-2016 Mazda6

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE****** 615844 (produced before Jan. 1, 2015)

2014-2016 Mazda6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GJ****** 404929 (produced before Jan. 6, 2015)

TSB: 02-003/15

MULTI-MODEL - KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT STRUT BEARING

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 02-005/13, issued on 08/24/13 and 11/11/13. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, DESCRIPTION, REPAIR PROCEDURE, PART(S) and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

Some vehicles may exhibit a knocking / squeaking noise from the front strut bearing (A) when driving on rough roads and/or when turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stopped.

The noise may be due to upper front strut bearing damage or it may be due to stick/slip between the front strut bearing and coil spring.

To eliminate the noise, the following mass-production changes have been made:

1. The material and production method of the front strut bearing has been changed.

2. A protector has been installed onto the coil spring.

NOTE: The piston rod nut (B) requires replacement when the front strut bearing is replaced.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Anyone got a lowered 6 that the dealers will recognize this recall and not try to blame it on the springs?
Yeah, What he said^
I thought I had a loose sway bar link, but everything is tight. The roads in Chicago area are crap, a lot of bumps, so occasionally get a thump on bumps. But I have Tanabe springs and not sure if the dealer will bitch about them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got more work done on this today at 24k miles. my most recent work order has TSB 02-003/15 whereas this TSB wasnt mentioned before.

KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT STRUT BEARING - 2013-2016 Mazda CX-5 & 2014-2016 Mazda6

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE****** 615844 (produced before Jan. 1, 2015)

2014-2016 Mazda6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GJ****** 404929 (produced before Jan. 6, 2015)

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 02-005/13, issued on 08/24/13 and 11/11/13. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, DESCRIPTION, REPAIR PROCEDURE, PART(S) and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

Some vehicles may exhibit a knocking / squeaking noise from the front strut bearing (A) when driving on rough roads and/or when turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stopped.

The noise may be due to upper front strut bearing damage or it may be due to stick/slip between the front strut bearing and coil spring.

1. The material and production method of the front strut bearing has been changed.

NOTE: The piston rod nut (B) requires replacement when the front strut bearing is replaced.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
So I'm finally biting the bullet and having them look at this issue. I'm at 35k so I'd rather deal with this under warranty than sometime down the road. I'm really hoping I'm not opening a can of worms. Definitely going to show them this TSB, thanks for this!!

·
Registered
233 Posts

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

BULLETIN NOTE

So did you have the noise even after they replaced your struts, then they did the work mentioned in this TSB?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
the first time i went in for the issue we werent aware of a TSB. i have to say now that the revsised parts have been used, after my last trip the issue is 99.7% resolved. every now and then i hear a few noises, but no problems. now at 27k

·
Registered
233 Posts
the first time i went in for the issue we werent aware of a TSB. i have to say now that the revsised parts have been used, after my last trip the issue is 99.7% resolved. every now and then i hear a few noises, but no problems. now at 27k
That's good news. Did you also have an issue of a noise in the front suspension when it rained going over speed bumps? Very specific I know... Lol. I found a link in another thread to a video that someone made of the issue. https://youtu.be/crd7dHO-Bvw

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi, i just bought mine 2 month ago and immediately noticed a clunking noise from the right front wheel area when driving over dips and speedbumps at around 6mph.

took it back to the dealership twice and because it happens kinda randomly, they weren't able to reproduce the clunking noise. they are incompetent in my opinion btw. anyhow, because they were'nt able to reproduce the noise therefore, the problem doesn't exist. friggin annoying to no end! I even recorded it in a video and put it on youtube for them dumb arses to view and they watched it, heard it, and told me it doesn't mean anything. very disapointed with mazda. i thought they'd be different from hondas or nissans.

Anyhow, i lodged an official complaint with mazda usa and after several agonizing conversations and being passed to different folks in their chain of command, finally they agreed to send out a factory master tech to try to resolve it. so they've got my mazda 6 for 6 days now and i've not heard a thing abt the fix for it. i did hear that the master tech was able to reproduce the noise, whoop-ti-dooo!!! so at least they now acknowledge there's an issue. So whether there's gonna be a good fix for this issue is unknown.

What's more troubling is, the 2014 mazda 3 5dr hatch they loaned to me has the same clunking noise issue!!! i think there's a major design/build flaw with these suspension systems beyond the mazda 6.

Thx for sharing fellaz!

~Thomas

·
Registered
233 Posts
hi, i just bought mine 2 month ago and immediately noticed a clunking noise from the right front wheel area when driving over dips and speedbumps at around 6mph.

took it back to the dealership twice and because it happens kinda randomly, they weren't able to reproduce the clunking noise. they are incompetent in my opinion btw. anyhow, because they were'nt able to reproduce the noise therefore, the problem doesn't exist. friggin annoying to no end! I even recorded it in a video and put it on youtube for them dumb arses to view and they watched it, heard it, and told me it doesn't mean anything. very disapointed with mazda. i thought they'd be different from hondas or nissans.

Anyhow, i lodged an official complaint with mazda usa and after several agonizing conversations and being passed to different folks in their chain of command, finally they agreed to send out a factory master tech to try to resolve it. so they've got my mazda 6 for 6 days now and i've not heard a thing abt the fix for it. i did hear that the master tech was able to reproduce the noise, whoop-ti-dooo!!! so at least they now acknowledge there's an issue. So whether there's gonna be a good fix for this issue is unknown.

What's more troubling is, the 2014 mazda 3 5dr hatch they loaned to me has the same clunking noise issue!!! i think there's a major design/build flaw with these suspension systems beyond the mazda 6.

Thx for sharing fellaz!

~Thomas
It seems that there was an issue with a certain material that they used for some bushings or something for cars 2015 and older according to the TSB. I'm really hoping that does the trick.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.