Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to the dealer once on this issue(jan 2014), and about to go again...

When doing low speed (5-7mph) manuevers in parking lots/in ou of driveways, I hear a noise on both front suspention towers. It's a clicking/popping noise, not so much a clunk that I hear as I turn the wheels to go from forward to reverse( as in out of a parking lot spot).

On my 10k mile visit, the service tech couldn't reproduce, and I was in the car and didnt hear it either. He mentioned there's a TSB about some suspension boot/strut top issue that can be fixed. There were no loose bolts, no rips or tears in rubber or boots.

Anyone else with this or similar issue?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@big awesome for posting the TSB #. i was told there was a TSB for an issue w/ the top of the struts, but my tech told me he didnt think that this was the problem, hence they didnt do it.

so you're saying the TSB fix made improvements and alleviated the noise but not completely?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
update on my last dealer service for the gas tank filler recall - about 3 weeks ago asked them to look at it again and check for TSB. nothing was found. have 14k miles on the odometer, still hearing this noise. temps have been in the 90-100 degrees, so im ruling out the cold weather being related.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got more work done on this today at 24k miles. my most recent work order has TSB 02-003/15 whereas this TSB wasnt mentioned before.

there is a revision to the TSB

KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT STRUT BEARING - 2013-2016 Mazda CX-5 & 2014-2016 Mazda6

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE****** 615844 (produced before Jan. 1, 2015)

2014-2016 Mazda6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GJ****** 404929 (produced before Jan. 6, 2015)

TSB: 02-003/15

MULTI-MODEL - KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT STRUT BEARING

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 02-005/13, issued on 08/24/13 and 11/11/13. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS, DESCRIPTION, REPAIR PROCEDURE, PART(S) and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

Some vehicles may exhibit a knocking / squeaking noise from the front strut bearing (A) when driving on rough roads and/or when turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stopped.

The noise may be due to upper front strut bearing damage or it may be due to stick/slip between the front strut bearing and coil spring.

To eliminate the noise, the following mass-production changes have been made:

1. The material and production method of the front strut bearing has been changed.

2. A protector has been installed onto the coil spring.

NOTE: The piston rod nut (B) requires replacement when the front strut bearing is replaced.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
the first time i went in for the issue we werent aware of a TSB. i have to say now that the revsised parts have been used, after my last trip the issue is 99.7% resolved. every now and then i hear a few noises, but no problems. now at 27k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.