Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to the dealer once on this issue(jan 2014), and about to go again...

When doing low speed (5-7mph) manuevers in parking lots/in ou of driveways, I hear a noise on both front suspention towers. It's a clicking/popping noise, not so much a clunk that I hear as I turn the wheels to go from forward to reverse( as in out of a parking lot spot).

On my 10k mile visit, the service tech couldn't reproduce, and I was in the car and didnt hear it either. He mentioned there's a TSB about some suspension boot/strut top issue that can be fixed. There were no loose bolts, no rips or tears in rubber or boots.

Anyone else with this or similar issue?

·
Registered
190 Posts

When doing low speed (5-7mph) manuevers in parking lots/in ou of driveways, I hear a noise on both front suspention towers. It's a clicking/popping noise, not so much a clunk that I hear as I turn the wheels to go from forward to reverse( as in out of a parking lot spot).

On my 10k mile visit, the service tech couldn't reproduce, and I was in the car and didnt hear it either. He mentioned there's a TSB about some suspension boot/strut top issue that can be fixed. There were no loose bolts, no rips or tears in rubber or boots.

I have this same issue. It seems to occur more when its cold. I was going to bring this up to the service department soon when I bring my car in for a post-Winter alignment.

I'm not impressed by the cheap macpherson suspension on these vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Yup! I have this issue as well. It seems to only clunk/click/whatever once then doesn't happen again until the car has sat for hours.

I had my dealer check my suspension, I thought something may be loose. No problems found.

Please update this thread if you have any progress getting it fixed :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe I have this issue as well. I have noticed it more recently since it has been so cold (last few months). It does only seem to happen once until the car sits for a while, 5700 miles on car so far. I have not mentioned it to the dealer yet.

Please update if you find anything.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Yeeeaaaah, I'm starting to notice this as well. I'm going to make sure everything is tightend down before I start making a fuss, but I don't like the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 Front suspension popping/clicking noise

I have the same exact issue as you do. I took my 2014 Mazda 6 to the dealer for this issue 2 weeks ago. The technician was able to duplicate the noise and they replaced the Upper strut bearings as per TSB 02 005/13. Unfortunately the bearings did not completely correct the problem. Like many others have said, the noise is mostly at very slow speeds especially while turning. I notice on inclines as well for example steep driveways and speed bumps. I will be taking my car back to the dealer and will update soon.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@big awesome for posting the TSB #. i was told there was a TSB for an issue w/ the top of the struts, but my tech told me he didnt think that this was the problem, hence they didnt do it.

so you're saying the TSB fix made improvements and alleviated the noise but not completely?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overall I notice less noise from the struts going over bumps, but the popping/clicking (however people describe the noise) is there still. I thought I had very bad OCD until I read posts from this site. I do agree with others in that it happens more when you first get in the vehicle and it is cold. I have an appointment Monday. I will update with the next TSB...hopefully!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
so i am not alone it seems like. I also have a clunk noise happen to me. It seems in line with what OP is saying. for me it happens after car has been sitting for a period of time. It happens when reversing out of a space, steering on full lock, as i shift to drive and start steering the other way and start inching forward it makes a clunk, like if the suspension got kinked up somehow.

I used to have the popping/clicking too on the front towers when i go over a drain dip on my block right after a cold morning start/ extended stop, then it settles and goes away.

·
Registered
458 Posts
so i am not alone it seems like. I also have a clunk noise happen to me. It seems in line with what OP is saying. for me it happens after car has been sitting for a period of time. It happens when reversing out of a space, steering on full lock, as i shift to drive and start steering the other way and start inching forward it makes a clunk, like if the suspension got kinked up somehow.

I used to have the popping/clicking too on the front towers when i go over a drain dip on my block right after a cold morning start/ extended stop, then it settles and goes away.
Funny I had this same exact issue on a 2010 Maxima... The culprit was that the ball joint within the control arm. Replacing the control arm solved the issue.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts