Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The odds of BOTH front bearings being bad at this mileage without some sort of "event" are astronomical.

Add to that a bad carrier bearing (or both!) in the gearbox without some sort of "event" and you're into the realm of Martians kidnapping me this evening at 0400.

Occasionally you do get bad parts that get past inspection. It happens. It happens LESS with German and Japanese assembly and parts, but it does happen.

To happen in THREE OR FOUR RELATED PLACES by random chance is, well.... buy Powerball tickets.

Just saying.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed everyone knew my thoughts and experiences. It is indeed an automatic.
Okay. Must have been the way a “clutch” was referred to. Anyway, an A/T from my preferred dealer is basically the same price as what you’ve been quoted. I’m with the others: This is really weird.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm surprised the A/T rebuild (including re & re) is that cheap. Certainly it is serious $, don't get me wrong - and we don't know if the original valve body is replaced or if the torque converter is replaced or if the ATF (non-conventional water-to-atf) cooler is replaced - but predictions here up to this point had it at $5k... and questioned even whether the expertise existed out there to perform a rebuild. I guess the cost is a somewhat pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Something major happened to the car if all of those are failing by 80k miles. If you were planning on keeping the car and rebuilding the transmission, I would just drive it until it goes out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm surprised the A/T rebuild (including re & re) is that cheap. Certainly it is serious $, don't get me wrong - and we don't know if the original valve body is replaced or if the torque converter is replaced or if the ATF (non-conventional water-to-atf) cooler is replaced - but predictions here up to this point had it at $5k... and questioned even whether the expertise existed out there to perform a rebuild.
Maybe those are reasons to give the ~$2,200 to Mazda for a tranny that’s been through their corporate rebuilder? It wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s what the shop in question is doing (sourcing from Mazda’s rebuilder). One hears both good things and bad of the large rebuilders of engines and trannys.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How much would the total cost be if using a Mazda supplied rebuild? Would it be the full $5k generally surmised to this point? A person needs to know what they're paying for.

On a related note - if you rig up a bypass filter and achieve 2 micron ATF filtration levels it seems to me that you are minimizing valve body and antifriction (rolling element) bearing wear. Now this is beneficial if your transmission rebuilder wants to / can reuse some or all of these components as-is... not rebuilding them. I realize though that 1) most transmissions are rebuilt remotely... not in the shop that re & re's them; and 2) when a transmission fails contaminants can circulate and then do damage to these components before the bypass filter can catch the "bad-actors". I guess ultra-filtration guards against early valve body and bearing demise... in any case and therefore can delay overall transmission failure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, I’m not sure. For me and and people in my area, cost to replace the A/T would be the same as OP was quoted because the cost of the tranny at the dealer I patronize is the same as what OP was quoted if he just brought the tranny in on a pallet for rebuild. Labor is on top of that.

It’s a good point about fine filtration. It would be nice to be able to simply and cost-effectively add fine filtration and auxiliary cooling (at least for me) to these cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
WHOA, now update! I called a local Mazda dealer and spoke to their service department. Had a good, long talk with someone who I think is a bit higher up in the department. He said Mazda will sometimes make a concession with transmission replacements. It's worth filing a request and seeing what they will do.

Took the car in, paid them $89 for an assessment. Came back as a failing trans axle (no surprise as I could hear it and I'm not a Mazda mechanic). Said the fix is a replacement transmission. So they filed the paperwork to the "Mother Ship", it came back and they were willing to help on the cost but the local service manager worked them over and got a KILLER deal. If we pay labor (Approx. $800) they will cover the unit cost. So in the end we will have a new transmission (oem) for $800. Well, I don't know if it is a rebuild vs. new but either way, this is incredible. That's being incredibly generous of Mazda to do this. They have no, 0, NADA legal reason to do this; it's purely to keep customers happy and improved their reputation....and I'm sure hope we will by a new care soon/someday from them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congratulations!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts