Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

First post here but not my first Mazda. Have a 05 Mazda3 Hatch in the garage, been on mazda3forums for quite some time.

I have had a Thule roof rack setup on my 3 for a couple of years, take a bike or snowboards somewhere, been awesome to have.

Got the new mazda6 two weeks ago and decided to see if the setup I have fits... good news it DOES!

Thule 400xtr Rapid Footpack (this is the older model, replaced by 460R)
Thule Fit Kit 3069 (this should be listed as what fits a mazda5)
Thule RB47 bars (47" bars, the new AeroBlade is ARB47)

I got all my stuff from orsracksdirect.com

On the roof under the two black "gutter" strips, there are fixed mounting points on each side. I had checked Thule's site and the 2014 mazda 6 was not yet listed on there so I decided to figure it out myself.

To remove the trim, use a flat head screwdriver with a rag underneath as to not damage your new paint and pry it off. There are 3 clips, one one each end, and one in the middle. it should EASILY pop off. if you are torquing it hard, you're doing it wrong. *not liable if you break, bend, or scratch something*

You'll see the fix point mounting spots, small black brackets with a threaded hole in them. This is what the base will screw into.

I'd say the roof rack part is pretty self explanatory.

Onto the next piece of this puzzle... the black gutter trim pieces. I know that many members who wanted a clean factory appearance ordered new trim pieces from Canada or the UK, where they have cut outs with removeable covers that give you access to the fixed point. on my mazda3 i just measured twice, and drilled the holes with a drill. its not the cleanest but cheapest option by far. for the mazda3, those gutters were like $80-90 plus shipping. You'll see in my pics that i left the gutter trim/rails off, as this was merely a test fit.

good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for posting your findings. I recently got my 2014 Mazda 6 and was curious about this as well but hadn't gotten this far yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule Fit Kit 2135 (this should be listed as what fits a mazda5)
I looked up the above mentioned roof rack, but it doesn't appear to be the rain gutter model. Is this the one that attaches to the lip of the doors? I just got a 2014 Mazda 6 and would like to utilize the rain gutter attachments, as did the original poster.

thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone had any luck tracking down trim pieces with cutouts for the new 6? I just bought a Blue Reflex/Almond GT a few weeks ago (pics in the newbie section to follow!) and am now working on figuring out roof racks for it. I contacted Mazda USA and two local dealers but have not gotten any answers so far.

Thanks,
-John

BTW, huge thanks to biking4jesus for sharing this info and pics!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey All,

First post here but not my first Mazda. Have a 05 Mazda3 Hatch in the garage, been on mazda3forums for quite some time.

I have had a Thule roof rack setup on my 3 for a couple of years, take a bike or snowboards somewhere, been awesome to have.

Got the new mazda6 two weeks ago and decided to see if the setup I have fits... good news it DOES!

Thule Fit Kit 2135 (this should be listed as what fits a mazda5)
Thanks for this! Question - the Thule site says for the 2005 Mazda3 hatchback to use Fit Kit 3069. Did you originally have 3069 on your Mazda3 or did you use the 2135 on your Mazda3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anybody still following this thread, I recently transplanted our rack setup from our old car to our new 2014 6 GT. Parts:
Thule 460R feet
Thule 3069 fit kit
Thule Aeroblade 53" bars (ARB53)
And maybe most importantly, the roof trim pieces with removable covers for the rack mount points. These are mazda part numbers GHY1509H0 (right) and GHY1509L0 (left). They're available from USA mazda dealers for about $25 each. No idea why they aren't listed as an available accessory on the website, but they are definitely available and there's no need to locate one from Canada.

The install went fine. The fit kit comes with four sleeves to put over the bolts that are screwed into the roof mounting points, and there seemed to be some question about whether these should actually be installed or not. After checking out the underside of the Thule feet, it looked like the sleeves would make the mount a little more secure, so I put them in. It didn't seem to damage anything and the rack hasn't fallen off yet.

The rubber feet on the fit kit aren't a perfect match for the width of the rain gutter, but they span the gutter fine and you'd never notice it's anything but a perfect fit unless you were up close and looking specifically for it. Maybe the 2135 kit would fit better, but the 3069 still worked great. We love the way the rack looks (as far as these things go), and it's nice not to have to worry about rubbing the paint with the clamp-style feet that you'd otherwise have to use. I still need to cut off the ends of the ski rack's mounting screws to keep them out of the way of the sunroof, but that's just because the Yakima rack is a horrible engineering hack job. Wish we'd gone Thule all the way.

In other news, if anybody wants a set of Thule 480R feet and fit kit 1221 (used on our 04 elantra), let me know. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
These are mazda part numbers GHY1509H0 (right) and GHY1509L0 (left).
I love you for posting that. I could never get an answer on part numbers from my local dealer. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
rlahiri, thanks to your early contribution and welcome to the forums!

Btw, I like the shot with the rims. The rims seems not to be stock, yes? They do look very nice. I like them. They look like...turbines. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love you for posting that. I could never get an answer on part numbers from my local dealer. Thank you.
Agreed, thank you. I'm considering a Mazda 6, but a rack is a necessity. Nothing on the website, the dealer and the parts department both said they knew nothing about it, and a Mazda rep at the DC auto show said he "thought" there's a rack that fits, but he wasn't too sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the new mazda6 two weeks ago and decided to see if the setup I have fits... good news it DOES! Thule 400xtr Rapid Footpack (this is the older model, replaced by 460R), Thule Fit Kit 2135 (this should be listed as what fits a mazda5), Thule RB47 bars (47" bars, the new AeroBlade is ARB47)
I know this is an old post... calling for BIKING4JESUS!

The 2135's are clamp style. Based on Thule FitGuide for the MAZDA5, guessing you have 3080's for Podium feet? Can you post a close-up pic similar to RLAHIRI'S post? Just trying to determine a better fit between 3069 vs 3080. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am going to try and do this come spring and nice weather. I am over trying to use a crappy trunk mount bike rack. This is it and should be able to do kayaks too with the right stuff. Super excited.
THANKS for the info and research you did.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thule does not have a fixed point fit using their 460/460R, and Edge systems for that vehicle. The fixed points didn’t pass their testing standards because of their placement and the low weight limit. They feel the 480 Traverse system is the safest way to go.
That comes directly from orsracksdirect.com support team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And maybe most importantly, the roof trim pieces with removable covers for the rack mount points. These are mazda part numbers GHY1509H0 (right) and GHY1509L0 (left). They're available from USA mazda dealers for about $25 each. No idea why they aren't listed as an available accessory on the website, but they are definitely available and there's no need to locate one from Canada.
I know this is a Mazda6 forum, but I don't suppose rlahiri could find out the part numbers for the removable covers for the rack mount points for the 2014 Mazda3 Hatchback?

Thanks in advance!!
- jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a Mazda6 forum, but I don't suppose rlahiri could find out the Mazda part numbers for the roof trim pieces with the removable covers for the 2014 Mazda3 Hatchback?

Thanks in advance!!
- jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did several highway MPG tests with the rack on my 14 6GT (460R, 3069). Driving 35 miles to work early in the morning, I reset my estimated MPG gauge every morning once I hit 60mph and set the cruise at 70mph. While the fairing slightly reduced wind noise, it lowered gas mileage a bit further. My only guess is there must be some wind turbulence pulling behind the fairing.

• Without rack = avg 38mpg
  • 47" Rapid Aero bars, 2 Echelon bike carriers = avg 36mpg
  • 47" Rapid Aero bars, 2 Echelon bike carriers, 43" fairing = avg 35mpg
I picked up an Inno Ridge Box for road trips - it is perfect size for the roof. Unfortunately the front of the box dips down beyond the bars, hitting the fairing mounts. I sold the bars and fairing to pick up the new Aerobalde bars. Surprisingly, I regained my original mpg back!
  • 47" Aeroblade bars, 2 Echelon bike carriers = avg 38mpg
The 47" Rapid Aero bars work on 2014 6 if you break off the locking tab on the end caps, then secure end caps with 2 sided tape. The 47" Aeroblade bars must be a little longer because they fit without any modification; the back bar will be a little long (I cut 2" off mine).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've never done a roof rack.. but I'm doing a lot of home renovation work that would require a truck for transporting things, and since my grandfather in-law is my closest truck and its a diesel 3500HD 60 miles away.. or I get a $60 delivery fee on materials it'll add up FAST. I'm a bit curious if these could be used to haul light loads of lumber/ladders things like that. The cost of the rack would pay for itself rather quickly combined with the MPG of this car vs a truck LOL. Aside from that, it would sure be nice for family vacations LOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question for you guys who did the 460R/3069 setup: Are your load bars level from front to back when mounted this way?

I just installed a set of AeroBlades on my '14 6GT using the "official" 480R/1715 setup. (I bought my gear before I saw that rlahiri had posted part numbers for the gutter trim!) It doesn't look quite as clean as your gutter-mounted method, since the feet don't sit flush against the roof, but it's not as out-of-place as I was worried it might be.

Anyway, due to the curvature of the roof, the front set of feet are tilted slightly forward and the rear set are tilted slightly backwards. (see attached pics) I double-checked, and I used the correct fit kit pads in each corner, and the positioning measurements are right. I'm not sure if this tilt is correct, or if it even matters, so I thought I'd check what results you had with the alternate method *before* I try to put a pair of kayaks up there...

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts