Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my experience with you all ...

Background:
- Car bought new in Sept. 2013 (dealer is 45 miles from home)
- Car serviced at another deal who is few miles from home.
- All oil changes and recalls are done on time including Recall#: 14V173000 for charging system

About a month ago, I started to get "Battery management system inspection required", see photo. Driving while the message on, the i-Eloop gets disabled (doesn't charge) - this is normal. Driving the car for few miles and turning the engine off/on, the message disappears and the i-ELOOP will start charging again. I took it to the dealer near me and was told the battery is bad and needs to be changed. I was quoted $375 (prorated 25% covered by Mazda, and 75% me). I didn't feel OK with the amount as I overheard one of the service ladies telling her supervisor that it will cost him $200 just before talking to me. I decided to take my car to where I bought my car. The dealer asked to leave the car to check the whole system (alternator, DC/DC convector, and the capacitor). I was offered a 2015 Mazda3 loaner car. By end of the day, I was told it's a bad battery and it will cost me $101.95 :surprise: I picked my car today (took 2 days + weekend as the battery wasn't available). I was pleasantly surprised that the service manager asked the tech to change the cabinet air filter free of charge.

Please do yourself a favor and shop around when you feel a dealer is over-pricing a service/repair.

Best of luck

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hmm, sounds like they might have just charged the battery or something instead of getting a new one because the first dealership's price is on point for the i-ELOOP's special battery. But your post is good advice, always get multiple quotes, even if you're friends with the person.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just wanted to share my experience with you all ...

Background:
- Car bought new in Sept. 2013 (dealer is 45 miles from home)
- Car serviced at another deal who is few miles from home.
- All oil changes and recalls are done on time including Recall#: 14V173000 for charging system

About a month ago, I started to get "Battery management system inspection required", see photo. Driving while the message on, the i-Eloop gets disabled (doesn't charge) - this is normal. Driving the car for few miles and turning the engine off/on, the message disappears and the i-ELOOP will start charging again. I took it to the dealer near me and was told the battery is bad and needs to be changed. I was quoted $375 (prorated 25% covered by Mazda, and 75% me). I didn't feel OK with the amount as I overheard one of the service ladies telling her supervisor that it will cost him $200 just before talking to me. I decided to take my car to where I bought my car. The dealer asked to leave the car to check the whole system (alternator, DC/DC convector, and the capacitor). I was offered a 2015 Mazda3 loaner car. By end of the day, I was told it's a bad battery and it will cost me $101.95 :surprise: I picked my car today (took 2 days + weekend as the battery wasn't available). I was pleasantly surprised that the service manager asked the tech to change the cabinet air filter free of charge.

Please do yourself a favor and shop around when you feel a dealer is over-pricing a service/repair.

Best of luck
BATTERY.. Fits: 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5L Automatic | My Mazda Part

the one with i-eloop is expensier than the normal one.

Battery; w/o intelligent E-LOOP, w/o intelligent E-LOOP. PARTS: Order by application.; w/o intelligent E-LOOP.
0000806535WB
From $129.95
To $97.44

Battery; w/intelligent E-LOOP, w/intelligent E-LOOP. PARTS: Order by application.; w/intelligent E-LOOP.
PE1T185209U
From $490.00
To $376.05

Should I need the one with E-LOOP or not?

·
Registered
462 Posts
i-Eloop cars need the E-Loop battery,,,, period. It is very expensive.

Oh, and wondering why it cost you anything also. You have a 3/36 warranty right??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still have the warranty, got 31,000 miles, 2 years and 5 months.
Plus I bought the extended warranty.

Do you think they will replace it for free?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The original battery has 3 years warranty, that is correct. However, replacement price will be prorated based on date of purchase. I doubt that any extended warranty covers battery, break pads .. etc.
My assumption is the first dealer gave me a prorated estimate based on list price. That is how they make money. The second dealer (where I bought the car in 2013), probably prorated the dealer price.

BTW... the battery was replaced (not charged). I know the original battery. It was replaced with Mazda high performance battery and comes with 3 years warranty. Again, shop around before you buy.

Best of luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, my battery died last Saturday and my dealer was asking $480 for the replacement. My car is 20 months old (April 2014) and obviously, I was infuriated with the amount of money they were asking for a battery which price was been prorated 50/50. I rapidly searched the internet for prices and show the service manager that the battery's price (oem) was $490 M.S.R.P everywhere and I refused to pay that absurd amount. After a few minutes discussing the situation with them the manager made a few calls to Mazda and they decided to cover the new battery cost under warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, my battery died last Saturday and my dealer was asking $480 for the replacement. My car is 20 months old (April 2014) and obviously, I was infuriated with the amount of money they were asking for a battery which price was been prorated 50/50. I rapidly searched the internet for prices and show the service manager that the battery's price (oem) was $490 M.S.R.P everywhere and I refused to pay that absurd amount. After a few minutes discussing the situation with them the manager made a few calls to Mazda and they decided to cover the new battery cost under warranty.
I believe I am on the same situation right now, I took my car yesterday, the battery was "good", but they reset something. After I got out of work, i got the warning message again, called mazda and they told me to take the car back to the same dealer. They gave me a rental car, I paid for the taxes :mad:. I called today when I was out of work, and they said that they couldn't figure out the problem yet.

I guess I will need a new battery, I am 2 years an 5 months with my car. I dont want to pay full price of the battery :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been getting the "Battery management system inspection required" off and on since I purchased my 2015 GT about 16 months ago. I had the dealer check the battery at my last service and they said everything was fine. A month later I came out to a dead car (locks, clock, everything - 100% dead).

I jumped the 6 and took it into the dealer, they checked it out, and told me (ready for this?) that apparently at the factory they ran out of the special i-eloop batteries and subbed a regular battery, thinking it would be replaced presumably before the car was purchased. Well obviously that didn't happen, and the car was delivered with the wrong battery under the hood!

Now I've been stuck for 1.5 weeks waiting for a special i-eloop battery to arrive. What a mess. At least I don't have to pay for this screwup!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been getting the "Battery management system inspection required" off and on since I purchased my 2015 GT about 16 months ago. I had the dealer check the battery at my last service and they said everything was fine. A month later I came out to a dead car (locks, clock, everything - 100% dead).

I jumped the 6 and took it into the dealer, they checked it out, and told me (ready for this?) that apparently at the factory they ran out of the special i-eloop batteries and subbed a regular battery, thinking it would be replaced presumably before the car was purchased. Well obviously that didn't happen, and the car was delivered with the wrong battery under the hood!

Now I've been stuck for 1.5 weeks waiting for a special i-eloop battery to arrive. What a mess. At least I don't have to pay for this screwup!!
Fuuuuuu.... i got that warning since December, last time i left my car for a week at the dealarship, i need to go back and check if they have the right battery installed...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good info, didn't realize the i-eloop battery was different. Wouldn't it be a riot if the added expense of replacing this battery more often then a regular battery, actually made the i-eloop cars more costly to operate and erasing any long term fuel savings. Jeez

·
Registered
227 Posts
So my 2014 Mazda6 Touring is having a harder and harder time starting. I'm figuring a new battery is in my future relatively soon. But I've only had the car 2.5 years; it was manufactured 9/2013. Shouldn't batteries last longer than 3 years?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Depends. When I lived in the rust belt I changed them every 3 years because they'd start to slow down a bit and insufficient cranking in the cold really sucks. It was not worth the risk of a no-start on a 20 below zero morning.

In warmer climates (e.g. where I am now, in NW Florida) I get about 5 years, consistently, and have on vehicles of all makes and models. But I have twice had "no warning, dead" failures doing this where you get out of the car, come back the next morning and.... "CLICK!"

So pretty much that last year and a half was on borrowed time, and if I had traveled somewhere cold.......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yea 5 years I think would be reasonable. I'm down in South Florida so it gets cold here for maybe a week before being blazing hot outside again. Just surprised that I'm replacing the battery so soon. Debating whether I should see what the warranty covers or just replace it and be done with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, thank you for this comments they were very helpful. I went for vacation and when i came back 2 weeks later my Mazda 6 2015 did not start. We took the car and they are also telling me about the cost of this battery...no wonder why they give you a loaner as they know this is very frustrating to know the cost of replacement....i just wonder how the dealer is now selling one new battery with 5 years warranty when the original only lasted 2? i believe this is a scam by Mazda...i am starting hating this car and I am seriously considering trading the car immediately. I will post my final conversation with dealership....they should have explained this when i was purchasing the car, it was never disclosed....is not like the tires that you know, you replaced if they go bad....but usually a regular battery last 4 years...they never explained me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waiting 2+ weeks for new battery

Battery System light came on my 2014 Mazda 6 Grant Touring with i-eloop. Daytona (FL) Mazda says battery need to be replaced. They ordered a new one on 8/21/2016. Could not tell me when battery will arrive because they say no one stocks this battery as it is a special order. Today is 9/7/2016 still no battery and no way to track if battery has even shipped (according to Daytona Mazda parts dept) That is 18 days in a rental car at my expense and still no word on when/if battery will arrive. Do not buy a Mazda w/i-eloop!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do I tell if my 2015 Mazda 6 has i-eloop or not? I need a battery and was unaware of this requirement.

Right now I have a temp battery that is a Wal-mart battery in there and it's working just fine.

What is different about an i-eloop battery?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
How do I tell if my 2015 Mazda 6 has i-eloop or not? I need a battery and was unaware of this requirement.

Right now I have a temp battery that is a Wal-mart battery in there and it's working just fine.

i-Eloop is only available in the GT models and you should have an information screen if you toggle through your screen options.

·
Registered
748 Posts

You have a Touring which means no i-eloop. Only GT models have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pleasantly surprised

I'll try to revive this aged thread.

I have experienced the same dreaded "battery management system requires services" engine status notification. So, I was not looking forward to my 45,000 mile service because I was well past the factory 3/36,000 mile warranty and assumed that my aftermarket third party warranty would not cover anything consumable like the battery. Assuming this, I notified the service desk my car's issue and I prepared myself emotionally for the $490 battery expense.

Following the 45,000 service the service front desk staff came up to me in the waiting area and chuckled under his breath and said, "look at how much this battery costs!", I managed to hold it together and say, "yeah, i know it's an expensive part because of the technology that went into it." Thankfully, his next remark was, "I talked to my service manager and we will be able to cover this part under a goodwill warranty because you've been such a good customer." I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face because i fully expected to have to pay, at the very least, a prorated amount (the vehicle was purchased on May 2014) of close to the fully amount or the fully amount of the MSRP for the battery.

Following my relief and expression of gratitude the front desk staff notified me of the ordering timeline which is about 3 weeks to have the battery made and shipped. The battery has a shelf life of 15 days and this apparently necessitates that mazda fabricate each one as a special order.

I hope my experience isn't an aberration as more of these batteries fail and Mazda is understanding the unexpected financial hardship that a $490 battery places on its' customers and also the absurdity and irony of a battery that is designed to be an integral component of a fuel saving innovation whose replacement more than negates any cost savings.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts