Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
18,606 Posts
I get something similar every now and again. It usually happens if I let off the gas seemingly at a specific time and then try to accelerate again. I think the computer may be on the cusp of deciding to shift up.

I could be wrong though as I'm in the same boat as you as I dont know much about engines.
You're probably more right than you think.

These engines are designed to be fuel savers, and therefore it might get confused here and there when you go WOT out of nowhere.

Honestly, I always make it a point to be in tiptronic mode before going WOT because I know for a fact that it's going to give me power when I need it :) (That, and I desperately miss my MTX :( )

·
Administrator
18,606 Posts
While I love the fuel savings, and am satisfued with the power the engine has (fuel economy is more important to me than BHP), I do miss my 6 speed manual transmition in my Mazda 3. I wish I could have gotten it in the 2014 Mz6 GT I now own. I loved the responsivness and control of the Manual on the Sport model; but I've moved on. Maybe, one day they will be another Manual in my future; but I'm not planning to get another car until this one hits at leaast 150K on the ODO. By then manual transmitions might well go the way fo the Dodo bird. Or be relegated to sports cars only.
Precisely on every level. The responsiveness and control of the car is what I miss most. I'm not one to need the BHP, so I don't mind the loss of the power from my V6, especially that I'm getting 10+ more mpgs than the V6, that's remarkable to me and worth every penny.

I fear the same with the Manual transmission, but there will never be a time that they are gone completely. Too many people love them and you cannot convert us all. Had the GT come in MTX I would have gotten it without hesitation. I plan on having this for a long time as well, so I might as well get used to it for now.

·
Administrator
18,606 Posts
I was reading this very topic this morning in my local newspaper: Is this really the end of the stick shift? | Toronto Star. Basically they are starting to phase out the teaching of manuals to new drivers.

They'll have to pry the shifter out of my cold dead hands >:/

Not to rub it in, but I am sure glad I have the 2014 Mazda6 GT MTX (for some reason they offer it in Canada and not the US)
Yeah that study doesn't include the fact that those who actually appreciate driving will NEVER convert to ATX. In my honest opinion, I don't think Automatics should be an option to all young adults. A kid who has to shift his/her car is much less likely to text while driving, and that's a huge problem plaguing our society.

Those people who have MTX I've found to drive MUCH, MUCH more aware of their surroundings and others on the road than those people who never learned MTX. I'm VERY jealous your GT in CA came MTX - Stupid America :(

To keep the thread on subject, MTX gives that instant gratification of putting your foot down. The "Automatic Hesitation" is the worst thing around and it made my heart sink the first time it happened to me (this car is the first of 4 cars that is ATX for me). I thought I was in big trouble because I went to change lanes and the car took a solid .5 seconds longer to accelterate than I was planning, and for that .5 of a second, my world ended :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.