Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Let me out up a disclaimer stating that I don't know much about cars. I have a 2014 Mazda6 Sport.

That said, yesterday, I was driving to a friend's house (in Drive, not the auto/manual mode) and my car stopped accelerating when trying to give it gas. I was going about 40-45mph, and from what I remember, the RPM was in the 2-3k range. I tried to accelerate a few times with no luck, and I was just coasting, and slowing down. I turned on my flashers, expecting to have to pull over, and all of a sudden it started working again.

Any idea why or how this could have happened?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
163 Posts
I get something similar every now and again. It usually happens if I let off the gas seemingly at a specific time and then try to accelerate again. I think the computer may be on the cusp of deciding to shift up.

I could be wrong though as I'm in the same boat as you as I dont know much about engines.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
this has happened to other members. Did you have any codes pop up? I know one was transmission related. That sucker needs to go to a dealer ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
I get something similar every now and again. It usually happens if I let off the gas seemingly at a specific time and then try to accelerate again. I think the computer may be on the cusp of deciding to shift up.

I could be wrong though as I'm in the same boat as you as I dont know much about engines.
You're probably more right than you think.

These engines are designed to be fuel savers, and therefore it might get confused here and there when you go WOT out of nowhere.

Honestly, I always make it a point to be in tiptronic mode before going WOT because I know for a fact that it's going to give me power when I need it :) (That, and I desperately miss my MTX :( )

·
Registered
206 Posts
These engines are designed to be fuel savers, and therefore it might get confused here and there when you go WOT out of nowhere.

Honestly, I always make it a point to be in tiptronic mode before going WOT because I know for a fact that it's going to give me power when I need it :) (That, and I desperately miss my MTX :( )
While I love the fuel savings, and am satisfued with the power the engine has (fuel economy is more important to me than BHP), I do miss my 6 speed manual transmition in my Mazda 3. I wish I could have gotten it in the 2014 Mz6 GT I now own. I loved the responsivness and control of the Manual on the Sport model; but I've moved on. Maybe, one day they will be another Manual in my future; but I'm not planning to get another car until this one hits at leaast 150K on the ODO. By then manual transmitions might well go the way fo the Dodo bird. Or be relegated to sports cars only.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
While I love the fuel savings, and am satisfued with the power the engine has (fuel economy is more important to me than BHP), I do miss my 6 speed manual transmition in my Mazda 3. I wish I could have gotten it in the 2014 Mz6 GT I now own. I loved the responsivness and control of the Manual on the Sport model; but I've moved on. Maybe, one day they will be another Manual in my future; but I'm not planning to get another car until this one hits at leaast 150K on the ODO. By then manual transmitions might well go the way fo the Dodo bird. Or be relegated to sports cars only.
Precisely on every level. The responsiveness and control of the car is what I miss most. I'm not one to need the BHP, so I don't mind the loss of the power from my V6, especially that I'm getting 10+ more mpgs than the V6, that's remarkable to me and worth every penny.

I fear the same with the Manual transmission, but there will never be a time that they are gone completely. Too many people love them and you cannot convert us all. Had the GT come in MTX I would have gotten it without hesitation. I plan on having this for a long time as well, so I might as well get used to it for now.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
I was reading this very topic this morning in my local newspaper: Is this really the end of the stick shift? | Toronto Star. Basically they are starting to phase out the teaching of manuals to new drivers.

They'll have to pry the shifter out of my cold dead hands >:/

Not to rub it in, but I am sure glad I have the 2014 Mazda6 GT MTX (for some reason they offer it in Canada and not the US)

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
I was reading this very topic this morning in my local newspaper: Is this really the end of the stick shift? | Toronto Star. Basically they are starting to phase out the teaching of manuals to new drivers.

Not to rub it in, but I am sure glad I have the 2014 Mazda6 GT MTX (for some reason they offer it in Canada and not the US)
Yeah that study doesn't include the fact that those who actually appreciate driving will NEVER convert to ATX. In my honest opinion, I don't think Automatics should be an option to all young adults. A kid who has to shift his/her car is much less likely to text while driving, and that's a huge problem plaguing our society.

Those people who have MTX I've found to drive MUCH, MUCH more aware of their surroundings and others on the road than those people who never learned MTX. I'm VERY jealous your GT in CA came MTX - Stupid America :(

To keep the thread on subject, MTX gives that instant gratification of putting your foot down. The "Automatic Hesitation" is the worst thing around and it made my heart sink the first time it happened to me (this car is the first of 4 cars that is ATX for me). I thought I was in big trouble because I went to change lanes and the car took a solid .5 seconds longer to accelterate than I was planning, and for that .5 of a second, my world ended :lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts

I too am jealous of your MTX and GT in Canada! We in the U.S. however made our choice collectivly by not buying or supporting manual transmitions when we could have. Now that manumatic gear boxes are more fuel efficent, and quicker accelerating we're stuck for the forseable future.
Some of these automatics are too clever for their own good (hence the issue with the OP).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks all for the replies!
It's been over a week and I haven't had that issue again. So what is the consensus, is this normal behavior or a concern?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
If yours was anything like mine... it is a very specific point you have to hit it. Like somewhere between 40 and 60MPH... take your foot off the gas and let the speed drop a little, then touch the gas up to a little below 3000RPMs.

Try it and see if it happens again, I wish I could give you exact numbers but I forget to take note on times I make it happen.

PS: I can only think of three times it happened and 2 of the times was me trying to explain the difference in the feel and engine noise in comparison to my 03 Taurus.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If yours was anything like mine... it is a very specific point you have to hit it. Like somewhere between 40 and 60MPH... take your foot off the gas and let the speed drop a little, then touch the gas up to a little below 3000RPMs.

Try it and see if it happens again, I wish I could give you exact numbers but I forget to take note on times I make it happen.

PS: I can only think of three times it happened and 2 of the times was me trying to explain the difference in the feel and engine noise in comparison to my 03 Taurus.
After reading VAHomeBrew81's post first time I intentionally tried the driving pattern he described to see if I could recreate it but could not.

My daily 9 mile commute is only in the 40-60 mph range and have the car for over 8 months now in which I would have done the "take foot off gas, let speed drop a little and press gas again" routine hundreds of times in the speed range and should have hit that problem if it were "Normal" across all M6s.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh Man... I am now in this life boat too. Cruising home from work tonight, doing about 60, everything is fine, Ironically i was just thinking to myself how nice this car is, and then just crusing along, car starts to buckle/hesitate - no warning lights came on and car kept moving along... was intermittent - Like a misfire almost - not total loss of power... made it home fine and noticed car was idleing a little rough before I shut it off. Is this the same thing that others have experienced?

What is the action plan to resolve? Any input would be appreciated. Car has less than 2,000 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
After reading VAHomeBrew81's post first time I intentionally tried the driving pattern he described to see if I could recreate it but could not.

My daily 9 mile commute is only in the 40-60 mph range and have the car for over 8 months now in which I would have done the "take foot off gas, let speed drop a little and press gas again" routine hundreds of times in the speed range and should have hit that problem if it were "Normal" across all M6s.
I just said try it, I do it all the time too. Like I said that's all I can think of because its how I drive.

Also like I said in a previous post, when it happened to me I noticed the needle hanging on the tach, the car behaves more like it wants to upshift(because of the step on the gas then release) but then because of the release falls back to a point where it would downshift rather than up, so it hangs instead.

Roughly 3ish times its happened and I only noticed the needle the last time, but I assume the last times may have been the same because of the feel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I experienced a version of this "acceleration delay" this weekend on I-95. I was driinvg for almost an hour steadily in the 60-70 mph range before this happened . To maintain a safe distance from thecar in front of me I was stepping on/off the gas pedal. At one point I lifted my foot off the gas as the car in front slowed. Mine did not slow down, kept going at same speed for about 6-8 seconds. In this interval the car infront sped up so I pressed on gas but the pedal felt 'limp' like you are driving on cruise contro and the car would not accelerate, it cruised at 65 mph for another 5 seconds in that 'limp' pedal condition and then started to slow down, 'life' returned back to the pedal, I was able to push it down and accelerate. Key here is DO NOT PANIC and hit the brakes otherwise you could be rear ended.

My gut feel is that the "intelligent" transmission system somehow turns on the crusie control software under the covers after a while of steady speed driving and when you take the foot off the gas it takes a few seconds for it to realize and come back to normal mode (non-cruise)

I tried recreating this on my remaining 300 mile I-95 drive but never happened again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had this happen to me on the way home from work today. Tight traffic on the freeway going about 50 and needed to merge right. Lifted a bit, merged and when I hit the gas, nothing but RPM's. Looked at the shift lever, but still in drive. Started to pull over and just as suddenly it springs back to life. I drove straight to the dealer. While on the way, I checked the manual mode and instead of getting the numbers all that displayed was the M. When I got to the dealer I DIDN'T turn off the car until I showed the tech that the manual mode and paddle shifters weren't working. They looked at the car and while I waited and said they found a code but needed to do a consult with Mazda on it. Really??? Glad I didn't shut of the car initially, because as soon as they restarted the car, it was back to normal. They said to bring it back Monday morning to have them do a complete inspection. So I guess I just pray it lasts til then... Wow... 11000 miles on the clock so it's all under warranty but damn my luck...

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're probably more right than you think.

What do you mean by tiptronic mode? I have a sport ATX with manual mode option. There is no sport mode if that is what you were referring to.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Could these be coil packs failing?

These hesitation/acceleration issues I read reminds me so much..since I had an old Passat. Though I had the robust, issue-free Japanese made Hitachis then (one model year, 2000)...these same issues so plagued the other VW/Audi 1.8T B5 Passat model years.

That, or perhaps a software bug of the 6AT...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.