Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to mazda.
I am looking forward to get the 2014 Mazda 6.
But, the only thing that is holding me back from buying this car is the WIND NOISE.
I test drove 2 different mazda6's, the wind noise from the driver's side window was very disturbing. (both car had about the same noise level)
It seemed that the wind was coming through the driver's window near the a-pillar area. (not quite sure, maybe the whole window?)
Also, my wife who sat next to me while on the test drive also mentioned the wind noise from the passenger side as well.
It sounded as if the window was slightly open.
So I am assuming this wind noise is fairly common in all 2014 mazda 6's.

I did some research and some people suggested that it was a weatherstrip issue, and some said that it did not bother them as much.
I understand this is subjective, but it is really disappointing for a modern mid-size car to have this issue.

I really like this car, and I think this is the best mid-size sedan in its price range.
But the wind noise is really getting in the way.

Is there a DIY or TSB related to this issue?
I would definitely buy this car if there was an easy (or moderate) fix for this wind noise.
What I'm afraid is that this wind noise is a design flaw in the vehicle itself, and cannot be remedied by anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is a known problem with this car. At another forum several members are planning to take the car to a garage specializing in cars noise reduction. What they do is:
- fill in the original door seals (weatherstrip) with some kind of rubber foam which greatly increases its noise blocking properties
- acoustically isolate the wheel wells
The company that does it in my city is in fact an authorized Mazda repair center and they have done it several times to the new Mazda 6, they claim it helps the wind noise issue.
I am going to do that and I'll report here how much it helped.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
interesting.. I would like to see about getting this done in the states, but I don't know of any such companies... Right now I just want my rear weatherstripping replace where it keeps tearing loose, the wind noise back there is driving me nuts and progressively getting worse (somewhat due to cooler weather I'm sure)!!! ';..;'

·
Registered
313 Posts
In my corner of the woods plenty of shops offer such services, usually for car hi-fi enthusiasts, but also just to lower the road noise etc.

The noise issue has not been widely discussed at this forum and I think it's because most members are in the USA, where the speed limits are very low by European standards... In my experience, the noise becomes annoying above 75mph (in my country it's legal to drive up to 95mph on highways, and next door - in Germany - there is no limit at all on most highways, you are welcome to try Mazda's top advertised speed of almost 140mph).

Here, in Poland, many GJ owners complain about the noise on a local forum where I'm the moderator of GJ technical section. One of those owners already had the weatherstipping replaced in a specialized car "quieting" shop, but only in one door - the driver's. Not much improvement apparently. He says that the door sounds much more expensive when slammed shut, that's all :) The shop I mentioned in the previous post told me that I must fill in the weatherstripping in all doors and, preferably, deaden all wheel wells to really make the difference.

Some shops do not fill the existing weatherstripping with foam, but replace it completely or even replace it with a double seal.

Anyway, four more GJ owners from my forum are going to do it in near future, we'll see what are their experiences. I'll be happy to report it here.

Also, I'm just about to hit the road on a business trip to another city and I intend to measure the noise spectrum inside Mazda 6 at various speeds. Just for fun and out of curiosity. I planned to borrow an AC power inverter and actually take some professional sound recording equipment from my home recording studio, but I run out of time - I'm leaving soon. So I'll just record the noise on a portable recorder and analyze it in Reaper after my return next week. It should give us a clue as to what type of noise it is - more like wind noise (wide spectrum, white-noise like) or with a strong component of the tyres noise (lower spectrum, more peaky).

I will write here what I found :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
interesting.. I would like to see about getting this done in the states, but I don't know of any such companies... Right now I just want my rear weatherstripping replace where it keeps tearing loose, the wind noise back there is driving me nuts and progressively getting worse (somewhat due to cooler weather I'm sure)!!! ';..;'

My rear weather-stripping has also torn, hopefully it's not too much of a hassle to get replaced. The wind noise is noticeable but I've gotten used to it. And I don't really notice road noise, possibly because I have 17" wheels.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The road noise doesn't have much to do with your wheel size, more with your tire thread :) In Europe all tires must have the noise level in dB displayed on a sticker - EU law. The original tires my Mazda came on had a quite high noise rating, so I arranged with the dealer to sell me the car without tires :) and got my own - one of the quietest ones on the market.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The wind noise doesn't bother me at all. At first, I too thought one of my windows was open. But after 2 weeks I have already gottn used to it apparently and I don't notice it. I am also quite focused on the great drive.

Honestly, it's not that much of an issue once you become acclimated to it. All my Mazda vehicles have had wind noise at a higher level than the snoozemobiles like Camry and Altima.

Mazda tends to prioritize handling and performance over mitigating road bumps and wind/road nose.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The wind noise doesn't bother me at all
You know, it doesn't bother me too much, either... getting used to it. And I don't often drive on a highway.

However: do you often drive at around 95mph? That's the standard, legal speed on the highways where I live, and believe me, the noise is much higher at 95mph than at 65mph, which is more typical for the USA...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I notice the wind noise also. It is the worst in a cross-wind situation when I climb a 6% grade parallel to the ocean on my commute home. I believe that the noise comes from a poor design of the mirrors. The shape and distance from the car need to be tested in a wind tunnel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought it came from the mirrors, too. But no :) Simple test: fold the mirrors while driving at a high speed on a highway. The noise level will not change.

I believe it's overall body shape plus very poor isolation (weatherstripping etc.) resulting from Mazda having to cut every spare pound on this model. We can't change the body shape, but we can change isolation - look for auto tuning shops that specialize in silencing cars for hi-fi enthusiasts. I can't believe there aren't some in the USA... For every type of auto service in Europe there are 10 in the States, as a rule :)

But again - if you don't drive a lot on highways with speed in excess of 75mph I don't think this is a serious issue. Some of my local forum members do travel a lot on highways and with speeds of at least 95mph. They are the ones who really got interested in having the car acustically isolated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear a wind noise in any seat in the car. My work car is a 2006 Ford Crown Vic (which is the noisiest car I've ever been in) so the wind noise doesn't bother me that much. I've listened closely at each door and the wind noise does not seem to be coming from around the doors but from above.

While washing the car by hand, I have noticed that it is very difficult to get soap rinsed out of the drip channels on each side of the roof. When looking at them closely, there is a rubber seal on the outside of the rail. On the inside though, is is open and allows the soap to get trapped under the rails. There are also tabs every few inches that hold up the rail a few millimeters off of the roof.

Could this be the cause of the wind noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you please take a photo of the said part/trim?
It is difficult for me to get a grasp, because I don't own the car yet.. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Previously, on my current car (2012 GLI)
I did some work on the door in an attempt to fix the wind noise in the car.
(although later I found out that the wind noise was actually coming from misalinged sunroof, which was an easy DIY fix)

The link below has the explanation to the fix.
Basically, you put electrical tape around the door striker to make the door pull in further when shut.
This was a fix for the GTI, and a lot of the people confirmed that it fixes the wind noise from the door.

I'm not sure if this will work for the 2014 Mazda 6, because it is impossible for me to try it on the dealer's car.. lol

If anyone is interested, please refer to the following link.

VWVortex.com - Driver's door rattle: fixed. Driver's door wind noise: fixed.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Previously, on my current car (2012 GLI)
I did some work on the door in an attempt to fix the wind noise in the car.
(although later I found out that the wind noise was actually coming from misalinged sunroof, which was an easy DIY fix)

The link below has the explanation to the fix.
Basically, you put electrical tape around the door striker to make the door pull in further when shut.
This was a fix for the GTI, and a lot of the people confirmed that it fixes the wind noise from the door.

I'm not sure if this will work for the 2014 Mazda 6, because it is impossible for me to try it on the dealer's car.. lol

If anyone is interested, please refer to the following link.

VWVortex.com - Driver's door rattle: fixed. Driver's door wind noise: fixed.
I test drove a 2013 GLI AutoBahn and I didn't notice any road noise at all.

I'm thinking if this is such a big issue for you, you may be better off considering a new G37 or 2014 Lexus IS-250. Those will be much more isolated from wind or road noise. The G37 especially can be had for an excellent price since the new Q50 is out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could you please take a photo of the said part/trim?
It is difficult for me to get a grasp, because I don't own the car yet.. lol
I just saw your request. I tried to take a cell phone pic but it won't show the tabs. It'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can get my camera out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought it came from the mirrors, too. But no :) Simple test: fold the mirrors while driving at a high speed on a highway. The noise level will not change.
I don't believe the mirrors on the U.S. cars will fold. There is no electric switch that I can find, and manual folding does not seem to work either.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe it depends on the trim? My GJ has electrically folding mirrors, although you won't find the switch, either :) What you need to do is turn the window adjustment knob until the white dot points up. The knob has 4 positions, clockwise:
- right mirror adjustment
- neutral position
- left mirror adjustment
- mirrors folded

What irritates the owners here, esp. former Mazda 6 (GH) owners is that there's no way to fold the mirrors (and close the windows/sunroof) from the outside, e.g. using the key FOB, but that's another story :)

Back to the topic, though: I recorded the cabin noise at various speeds, now I need a few days to find some time and move the files to my PC with Reaper software, cut them up and check them with a spectrum analyzer VST plug-in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, any news here? I'm also owner of new Mazda 6 GJ and the wind noise is only serious problem I have with my car. I had all the previous models of Mazda 6 (GG, GH) and I have to state the last one is the loudest one. I cannot understand how Mazda can produce (in respect to the wind noise) the worse car then previous model. In GH I could not notice any wind noise at all.

I have tried to add additional sealant next to the existing one around the door, between the front and rear doors etc. I have tried even to make the existing rubber sealant thicker by sticking the additional rubber on the top of the original one. Only effect was I was almost unable to close the door.
Any of that "improvement" did not lead to any wind noise level change. It seems that there is no problem with weatherstripping at all.

What I did not try yet is to stick a rubber sealant at the bottom of the door - there is a pretty thick hole and the noise could maybe transfer to the top of the door. But I doubt it helps.
Does anybody here have a idea or real experience what could help? Asking the Mazda dealer makes not sense as they have no clue what to do until they do not get any official guide what to do from the producer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm afraid it needs to be done a bit more professionally than sticking additional rubber on top of the old one :) I've seen the shop where they do that - two men were working on one door for 6 hours and literally took it apart and put back together during that time.

Remember that the noise is a bit like water: no amount of isolation will help if you leave one small break in isolation somewhere - the sound will "leak" through that very break.

Then you have the acoustic bridges which your additional rubber might have caused. Avoiding acoustic bridges is half the art when e.g. building a recording studio.

I would really recommend leaving it to experts...

1 - 20 of 407 Posts
About this Discussion
406 Replies
83 Participants
GerryB
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing