Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking to change my brakes(rotors and brakes pads). I want to go for a full look around the oem wheels, as the stock oem rotors look tiny in my opinion. Is there another vehicle that has interchangeable oem rotors that are bigger that I can used without a problem. Im not looking to fork out a ton of money for a big brake kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 6
78 Posts
Honestly the only way I think you could do this is if you completely swapped over the brakes from a 2016+ cx-9. But that still doesn’t account for if the calipers would hit the rims. You could also just try and see if the cx-9 rotors fit with the 6’s calipers but I think that’s not very likely. There are definitely still aftermarket options I just can’t speak on the performance of them.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi all

I'm looking to change my brakes(rotors and brakes pads). I want to go for a full look around the oem wheels, as the stock oem rotors look tiny in my opinion.
I agree. Now this is just my opinion - but large diameter wheels highlight this. The brakes are certainly adequate for Mazda's sense of how the car is likely to be used... but probably no more than adequate. Adding brake size does increase unsprung weight and inertial mass... just to note.

I guess some of the above is why I have a thing, strange as it is, for satin black steel wheels (+ matching all-black lug nuts + aesthetic and simple all-black centre caps). The most I'd do is paint the calipers / frames their "native" colours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly the only way I think you could do this is if you completely swapped over the brakes from a 2016+ cx-9. But that still doesn’t account for if the calipers would hit the rims. You could also just try and see if the cx-9 rotors fit with the 6’s calipers but I think that’s not very likely. There are definitely still aftermarket options I just can’t speak on the performance of them.
Ive tried looking to see if anyone else has done this but I couldn't find anything

·
Registered
2016 6
78 Posts
Ive tried looking to see if anyone else has done this but I couldn't find anything
Yea i would either just wait and save up for an actual brake kit as much as you don't want to or just keep the brakes the way they're designed and maybe just paint the calipers like the Canadian said. I personally do think the brakes are designed fine the way they are although on those more spirited drives I do notice that the braking seems a little less than desired ya know.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda6 Touring MTX
17 Posts
The newer Mazda6 turbo models seem to use a 12.6" front rotor, like the CX-9, but the same caliper as the non-turbo models with an 11.6" rotor. That suggests that swapping a larger rotor should be simple.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea i would either just wait and save up for an actual brake kit as much as you don't want to or just keep the brakes the way they're designed and maybe just paint the calipers like the Canadian said. I personally do think the brakes are designed fine the way they are although on those more spirited drives I do notice that the braking seems a little less than desired ya know.
A suggestion if you do lots of spirited driving is getting a stainless steel brake line (After track day heat, they got very elastic even with a fresh brake fluid change), and change to a more aggressive pad/rotor (Z23 from Powerstop). With those minor changes, the brakes on my 2014 have been sufficient for 4 x track day use with no fade. But I completely agree with you that they look too small inside the large rims...

·
Registered
9 Posts
always go with ,, Napa super Ultra premium ,with the best akebono pads you can buy .. they will cost you ,,, my 6 all 4 discs and pads cost 440.00

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The newer Mazda6 turbo models seem to use a 12.6" front rotor, like the CX-9, but the same caliper as the non-turbo models with an 11.6" rotor. That suggests that swapping a larger rotor should be simple.
If its the same caliper, the bracket is different then to accommodate the larger rotor, duh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts