Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who hasn't had rotor problems?

There are a lot of complaints about the OEM brake rotors warping in the 3rd Gen Mazda 6. I just passed 40,000 miles in my 2014 so I am thinking about pad replacements. When I run my fingers across the rotors and inspect them with the wheels off, they still feel smooth and true to me. I don't see the need to replace them. If the majority of owners feel it's a matter of when they will warp, I will pro-actively replace them. If many of the readers of this post are not seeing problems, I may just do the pads.

I do a mix of driving and rarely do any hard stops. Are my brake observations a rare bird ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My front rotors failed (warped) before 20k with mostly highway driving. Replaced with Centrix rotors and no problems with 45K and counting.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My general practice is to replace rotors and pads together. If you don't you need to have the rotors turned so the ridge on the top (where the pad does not make contact) is removed and the surface is true (the pads do not make contact both at the top and bottom -- there is thus a part of the rotor that will be "high" compared to the area where contact IS made.) If you don't do THAT then you're asking for uneven wear -- and problems.

Having them turned (assuming they're within minimums) is ok, but most of the time it doesn't make sense to have done from a cost and hassle perspective. There are exceptions, of course....

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
If you're not feeling the vibrations from hitting your brakes, then they're not warped like the rest of us had haha.

It's good practice to replace everything at the same time while you're there, but not an absolute. Like Ticker said, at least turn them while you have everything off - it's only a few more minutes of your time but worth it for preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
If you don't turn them when the pads are replaced then the ridge at the top will VERY rapidly wear the new pads unless they fit EXACTLY as the old ones did, and they won't. The (very) uneven heating that will result from that condition may well cause the exact problem you're trying to avoid (warped rotors) and if it doesn't it will result in uneven and undesirable pad wear.

For most vehicles having them turned is not a whole lot less than replacing them; the few exceptions in vehicles I've owned have been cars (like my Volvo 850T) that had a manufacturer prohibition on turning (no margin available for it in terms of minimum thickness!) That was one expensive car to do brakes on -- not only did the manufacturer have a zero-limit on resurfacing rotors (and as a result no shop would do it since the liability if you have a fracture after they turn them will be on them) the replacements were damned expensive.

Oddly enough despite the reputation for German vehicle part prices being sky-high it's not true for the VW Jettas; either axle pads and rotors can be had for right around $100 and there are a lot of choices when it comes to pad options with varying performance and "social" characteristics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all the responses but they are best practices for any brake job. I was under the impression that the quality of the Mazda rotors was worse than other manufacturers which led to the warping posts. Does anyone have an opinion for the OEM parts versus aftermarket parts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
Being on here and seeing the number of people who have had issues with warped rotors, and including myself who very rarely uses my brakes hard, yet still warping mine - I'd never go back to OEM.

RockAuto has all your aftermarket brake needs. Been running the Centric performance pads and rotors for almost 60k miles and love them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just ditched all the OEM brake rotors and pads at 33,000 miles. I swapped with centric premium blank rotors and posi-quiet pads. The fit and finish of the centric rotors is worlds better than OEM. So far so good, best upgrade I've done so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
RockAuto has all your aftermarket brake needs. Been running the Centric performance pads and rotors for almost 60k miles and love them.
Can you tell us specifically what Centric pads and rotors you are using from RockAuto? There seems to be quite a few choices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine are horrible warped on my 2016 with 25k miles. Waiting for the pads to wear down so I can replace all four corners - rotors + pads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No problems with the front rotors and had them turned when I replaced the pads at 125K km. A rear rotor warped after the park brake had been applied and didn't release, (145K km) they got a bit hot as they dragged home, (really killed the mileage too) lucky it was only about 10 blocks. Removed the tires and hammered the levers to the off position. Replace the rear calipers, pads and rotors and no problems since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I drive a 2014 GT and I am experiencing vibrations hitting the brakes. From the responses I am reading, this seems to be a common issue with OEM rotors. I am looking into OEM rotors from a local Mazda dealer but I was wondering what you guys recommend for aftermarket rotors? Also, my break pads were replaced at 70K by the dealer and I am at 98K now. Haven't noticed any signs of needing to replace the pads, should I have them replaced while I'm replacing the rotors? Your feedback is appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts