Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't recall seeing this mentioned on the forum. Looks like the Mazda 6 won another award in December. This time, being named to Popular Science's annual Best of What's New Awards:

2014 MAZDA6 NAMED IN POPULAR SCIENCE MAGAZINE'S ANNUAL 'BEST OF WHAT'S NEW' AWARDS -- WASHINGTON, Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

The 2014 Mazda6 has been named to Popular Science Magazine's annual Best of What's New Awards in the Auto category. Completely redesigned, the Mazda6 features the full suite of SKYACTIV®[1] technologies and the stylish KODO "Soul of Motion" design language. The 2014 Mazda6 features a slew of all-new technology with the safety-first features of i-ACTIVSENSE and the fuel economy-improving, capacitor-based regenerative engine braking i-ELOOP.

"Mazda is honored to be included in Popular Science Magazine's annual Best of What's New Awards," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO). "From an engineering standpoint, to have the 2014 Mazda6 with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY be recognized by Popular Science is a distinction that proves you don't need to be the most expensive vehicle on the road to feature premium technology and advanced engineering."

"For more than a quarter century, Popular Science has devoted its December issue to the year's most remarkable innovations," said Cliff Ransom, executive editor, Popular Science. "The Best of What's New Awards is our magazine's top honor, and the 100 awardees are selected from a pool of thousands. Each winner is handpicked and revolutionary in its own way. Whether they're poised to change the world or simply your living room, the Best of What's New awardees challenge us to the see the future in a new light."

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not only that...

The Mazda6 won tops, in the annual Popular Mechanics 2014 COTY.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...echanics-coty-2014-mazda-6-a.html#post3724594

Car of the Year

2014 Mazda6

Price: $21,675

Everybody loves an underdog story. Consider the fact that tiny, independent Mazda, now disassociated from Ford, built the 6 on an all-new architecture exclusive to the Japanese carmaker. The only cars that bear any structural similarity are Mazda's own 3 and CX-5. Under the hood is the same story: a 184-hp engine made by Mazda, for Mazda, that delivers up to 40 miles per gallon on the highway. This, from a company about one-eighth the size of General Motors. And the Mazda6 drives like a sports car. No other family sedan is as responsive, yet the ride is still sufficiently supple. The cabin design is simple, but we appreciate the straightforward functionality. This is not to say the Mazda lacks comfort; there's plenty of space for two adults and a child seat in the rear. And just try to find an interior surface that's not padded. If you want the latest technology features, they're all available: adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, and forward-collision warning. There's even an optional supercapacitor system that helps the alternator run less often, boosting mileage. Of course, it also helps that the Mazda6 is wrapped in sheet metal with curves that would make a Maserati jealous. But the 6 didn't earn our highest award because we're pulling for the little guy. It won because Mazda engineers set out to make a truly great car and succeeded.

Top 10 Cars for 2014: PM Auto Excellence Awards - Popular Mechanics

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Mazda has hit it big with the gen 3, no doubt, and is deserving of accolade.

Let's hope it is a market/commercial success as well. They need it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMO - This car is a home run for me! I went from a 97 Buick Skylark - in perfect condition - Family owned and passed down - Wrecked, to having to commute in weekend fun car 2010 VWGTI 6spd - Awesome car but... Decided to trade in due to driving the manual on daily commute - for a 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited A/T CVT.

Goal was to keep the refinement/ ie Leather/Sunroof of the GTI but drive the A/T/MPG - Epic fail on my part. I hated the Subaru, CVT is the biggest POS IMO and Subaru MPG claims are a down right lie.

This Mazda is the perfect car for my needs. Great MPG - Size - Refined - Fun To Drive - and the Looks are :). The other part which was not expecting is it seems I am the only one on Long Island that has one. I have seen like 3 in 4 months of ownership. I could not be more satisfied!!! This all occurred in the last 2 years. I hope you all are loving your cars as much as I am loving mine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
After getting my M6 I don't even give a second glance to the so called luxury vehicles , all of them look so pedestrian. The few rides on friends' vehicles after experiencing M6 did not impress me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After getting my M6 I don't even give a second glance to the so called luxury vehicles , all of them look so pedestrian. The few rides on friends' vehicles after experiencing M6 did not impress me.
I also feel the same way about luxury name brands after I got my car. Cars that I thought looked 'sexy' before now seem a little bland.

I'm glad Mazda is getting the attention they rightly deserve!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel the same way. 18 months ago, I was cross shopping the Audi A4, Infiniti G37 and BMW 3 series, but was immediately smitten when the Mazda 6 was announced. Now I think all of these "go to" luxury sports sedans are pretty blasé and outdated.

This car is an absolute home run, and Mazda deserves all of the accolades and praise the newest 3 and 6 models are getting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reactions: Papa Foxtrot

·
Registered
52 Posts
I feel the same way. 18 months ago, I was cross shopping the Audi A4, Infiniti G37 and BMW 3 series, but was immediately smitten when the Mazda 6 was announced. Now I think all of these "go to" luxury sports sedans are pretty blasé and outdated.

This car is an absolute home run, and Mazda deserves all of the accolades and praise the newest 3 and 6 models are getting.
I would not:
1) Compare Mazda 6 to any of those three you mentioned above. All three are different category from Mazda
2) Call the other three outdated. Far from there. BMW 3 is a beautiful simple design that will last 15 years. Look at the e46 and compare it to the last Accord model. e46 still looks more modern. Audi is ahead of the BMW in design department...

THat being said, for the segment it plays, Mazda 6 did hit a home run. If it did release 2.5L Sky Active (current), 2.0T and 2.2D engines as options, it would have doubled (and more) the sales...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would not:
1) Compare Mazda 6 to any of those three you mentioned above. All three are different category from Mazda
2) Call the other three outdated. Far from there. BMW 3 is a beautiful simple design that will last 15 years. Look at the e46 and compare it to the last Accord model. e46 still looks more modern. Audi is ahead of the BMW in design department...

THat being said, for the segment it plays, Mazda 6 did hit a home run. If it did release 2.5L Sky Active (current), 2.0T and 2.2D engines as options, it would have doubled (and more) the sales...
1) What puts them in a different category? I'm not seeing it - if the 6 had more power and a higher price tag, it could easily compete against these cars. The engineering team for the new 6 said they benchmarked the 6 against the A4, BMW 3 series, etc. during development.

2) The E46 was the last nice looking 3 series (though it felt and drove like a Toyota Corolla compared with prior generations). All of the 3 series models that followed in the Chris Bangle years are hideous. The latest version looks decent again, but I wouldn't say it's any better looking than the new 6.

A dirty little secret of the car industry is that with modern shared platforms and parts sharing across model lines, the brand badge on the hood and the model badge on the back are the most expensive parts on a car. An A4 isn't mechanically that much more upscale than a VW Passat, any more than a Porsche Cayenne is that different than a VW Touareg. It's mainly the brand cachet and the perception that people have that the premium between these models is worth it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
A dirty little secret of the car industry is that with modern shared platforms and parts sharing across model lines, the brand badge on the hood and the model badge on the back are the most expensive parts on a car. An A4 isn't mechanically that much more upscale than a VW Passat, any more than a Porsche Cayenne is that different than a VW Touareg. It's mainly the brand cachet and the perception that people have that the premium between these models is worth it.
So true.

I see it (from my healthcare provider perspective) as an analogy to a "generic" drug, comparable and identical to the same formulation that held the patent of the original, proprietary, "name brand" drug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1) What puts them in a different category? I'm not seeing it - if the 6 had more power and a higher price tag, it could easily compete against these cars. The engineering team for the new 6 said they benchmarked the 6 against the A4, BMW 3 series, etc. during development.

2) The E46 was the last nice looking 3 series (though it felt and drove like a Toyota Corolla compared with prior generations). All of the 3 series models that followed in the Chris Bangle years are hideous. The latest version looks decent again, but I wouldn't say it's any better looking than the new 6.

There are NO secrets. Go and drive them, extended drive. What you don't realize is that being built on the "same platform" (your Cayenne vs. Touareg example) does not make them the same or even SIMILAR cars! You are totally wrong about that.

The RWD vs. FWD is a totally different category.
The feel, handling, even the infamous electronic steerings are different.
The Mazda 6 is a perfect Accord/Camry/etc. competitor, but could not go against the 328i/G37/A4.

As for the looks, my point was that the e46 still looks like a modern and attractive car. The first gen G35 is still cool. The B6 A4 is still a nice vehicle. They are designed with that in mind.
The 2011 Mustang looks like crap after the 2015 is out, the 2012 accord looks outdated once 2013 came out. THe 2013 Mazda 6 looks like crap once 2014's hit the streets. I am not saying the Bimmer looks better (or worse) than the Mazda 6, I am saying their designs are almost "timeless" while our category vehicles (Mazda 6/Camry/Accord...) are designed to be replaced after 4 years...

·
Registered
370 Posts
One can argue that M6 and Accord also belong to different categories, one AT other CVT. Accord and Subaru Legacy cannot be compared either FWD/AWD though both are 4cyl, 2,5l.

Category makes sense when a person's budget is limited. If one has a budget of say $25k there is no sense in comparing cars at a much higher price range, even if he would not have liked a $35k car. When the budget is higher (say $40k) then the categorization based on technicals like FWD/AWD, 4cyl/6cyl, Turbo/non-turbo etc. do not make sense because this person will make a decision based on the overall value (driving pleasure + aesthetics + looks + reliability + technology) the car provides for the price paid like the EPS of a stock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are NO secrets. Go and drive them, extended drive. What you don't realize is that being built on the "same platform" (your Cayenne vs. Touareg example) does not make them the same or even SIMILAR cars! You are totally wrong about that.

The RWD vs. FWD is a totally different category.
The feel, handling, even the infamous electronic steerings are different.
The Mazda 6 is a perfect Accord/Camry/etc. competitor, but could not go against the 328i/G37/A4.

As for the looks, my point was that the e46 still looks like a modern and attractive car. The first gen G35 is still cool. The B6 A4 is still a nice vehicle. They are designed with that in mind.
The 2011 Mustang looks like crap after the 2015 is out, the 2012 accord looks outdated once 2013 came out. THe 2013 Mazda 6 looks like crap once 2014's hit the streets. I am not saying the Bimmer looks better (or worse) than the Mazda 6, I am saying their designs are almost "timeless" while our category vehicles (Mazda 6/Camry/Accord...) are designed to be replaced after 4 years...
He's got a point. Lets be honest, I really like my 2014 Mazda 6 GT, it's a beautiful car, and drives great. Fuel economy is excellent. I think this car its the best in its class, and I liked it enough after a couple test drives to buy it.

I was however cross shopping the Audi A4 and BMW 328, and a part of me feels like I should have gone with the A4. My Mazda 6 has more quality control issues than expected. Also cost cutting here and there is annoying; my GT wasn't particularly cheap.

The Mazda 6 however is a great car, and I think it was a very good economical choice. She certainly looks more expensive than she is!

·
Registered
617 Posts
He's got a point. Lets be honest, I really like my 2014 Mazda 6 GT, it's a beautiful car, and drives great. Fuel economy is excellent. I think this car its the best in its class, and I liked it enough after a couple test drives to buy it.

I was however cross shopping the Audi A4 and BMW 328, and a part of me feels like I should have gone with the A4. My Mazda 6 has more quality control issues than expected. Also cost cutting here and there is annoying; my GT wasn't particularly cheap.

The Mazda 6 however is a great car, and I think it was a very good economical choice. She certainly looks more expensive than she is!
The 6 is very good for the money especially the lower trims. I wouldn't put it on par with entry level luxury german sedans though. I find they use much higher quality materials in their interiors and they usually offer a much quieter and more comfortable ride. I will say that the 6 does look more expensive than it is and the fit and finish is good but not the quality you'd find in a lower series BMW, Audi, Volvo, Bugatti :) or Mercedes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All fair points. When I was cross-shopping, I wasn't looking at price bands. I was looking for a fun, stylish, 4 door sports sedan to use as my daily driver. Period. The A4, BMW 3, Infiniti Q or G, etc. all fit the bill and were within my budget. So did the Mazda 6.

To me, the Mazda 6 is the clear winner - it has (nearly) all the features I want, is the best looking, and the best value by a mile. The way I figure it, I can use a portion of the $15K+ savings to compensate for Mazda's cost cutting measures if I wanted to, and still end up way ahead financially...while being happier with the final result than if I'd bought a reasonably loaded A4, 3 Series, Q, etc. for way more money.

If I was given a choice between a Mazda 6 Touring with a suitcase containing $15,000 in the trunk, or a reasonably loaded A4, I'd take the Mazda and never look back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 6 is very good for the money especially the lower trims. I wouldn't put it on par with entry level luxury german sedans though. I find they use much higher quality materials in their interiors and they usually offer a much quieter and more comfortable ride. I will say that the 6 does look more expensive than it is and the fit and finish is good but not the quality you'd find in a lower series BMW, Audi, Volvo, Bugatti :) or Mercedes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

It's the attentions to the fine details that this car is lacking. For very little more money, Mazda could have made this car significantly better. It seems to me Mazda targeted this car to sell more of the lower trims, rather than to make a budget luxury car in GT trim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All fair points. When I was cross-shopping, I wasn't looking at price bands. I was looking for a fun, stylish, 4 door sports sedan to use as my daily driver. Period. The A4, BMW 3, Infiniti Q or G, etc. all fit the bill and were within my budget. So did the Mazda 6.

To me, the Mazda 6 is the winner - it has (nearly) all the features I want, is the best looking, and is the best value by a mile. The way I figure it, I can use a portion of the $15K+ savings to compensate for Mazda's cost cutting if I wanted to, and still end up way ahead financially, while being happier than if I'd gotten a reasonably loaded A4, 3 Series, Q, etc.
Have you driven any of those you mentioned?
Sounds like you did not.
Mazda 6 being a great car and more than enough for an average person that wants a little more extra FUN, is still far from the 3er or the A4. Yes, the best buy for $$, but is not there yet...
$15k will not get you to where 328 is for example.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Have you driven any of those you mentioned?...
Yes, I've driven all of them. Multiple times. And multiple generations of each.

Mazda 6 being a great car and more than enough for an average person that wants a little more extra FUN, is still far from the 3er or the A4.
...in your opinion (and maybe other people's opinion). Not mine. And since I'm buying the car for me, other people's opinions don't factor into how I perceive the cars. Consider me average I guess.

$15k will not get you to where 328 is for example.
Do you mean a reasonably loaded 328 would cost more than the equivalent Mazda 6 Touring + $15K, or less?

When I spec'd out a 2013 Audi A4 the way I'd want (moderately optioned), it came out to $40K. The BMW was more expensive and I didn't like it more than the A4, so I didn't bother pricing it out further. In comparison, a Mazda 6 Touring spec'd out the way I'd want is $24K and change. I'll take the $15K differential, put in a killer stereo system, sound deadening in the door panels and trunk, get some aftermarket performance options as they become available and still be able to bank $10K+....Or I'll wait a bit longer and buy a Mazdaspeed 6 for more money if they announce one later this year (in which case, I'll be really happy I didn't buy an A4 or 3 series, and still likely bank thousands of dollars).

I could spend more for the brand cachet, but why bother? I wouldn't end up with a better car from my perspective.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts