Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, and have a noob question.

My HID headlight housing's seal is broken and I have a ton of water getting in there. My original HID lights and everything are fine, so I just need to replace the housing. Does the replacement need to be HID specific? Or can I get the halogen housing and just put my exiting HID into that?

Just trying to save some money, it looks like I can get the halogen housing a bit cheaper than the HID housing. Again, just need the housing, not the lights.

Thank you!
Jim

·
Registered
2015 Mazda6 Touring MTX
29 Posts
The halogen housing is significantly different than the HID housing, and they can't be swapped easily. The halogen headlight, for instance, has a separate halogen high beam/running light where the HID housing has an LED running light.

If you're trying to save money, you could try to reseal your current housing. You should be able to use some heat to separate the housing, then use RTV to seal it back up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That’s pretty much what I thought but just wanted to clarify. Really appreciate the help!! I may try resealing it, the cheapest HID housing I could find was $600!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did they start leaking? Did you mess with them and put other lights in there or what?
No, not at all. I got hit in the fender awhile back (small dent) but i think it was enough to break the seal. That's the only thing I can think of cause I haven't touched headlight since I bought it brand new 7 years ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you had an insurance claim, i would see if they would open it back up to cover that, especially if someone else was at fault.
Never filed a claim...it was a very light tap, barely a dent so I just let it go. But it must have been enough to break the seal. After doing some more research, I think I am just going to try to reseal it instead of getting a new housing because the light is fine in every other way.

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
Never filed a claim...it was a very light tap, barely a dent so I just let it go. But it must have been enough to break the seal. After doing some more research, I think I am just going to try to reseal it instead of getting a new housing because the light is fine in every other way.
Make sure you are 300% certain you've gotten all the moisture out of the headlight before doing a reseal or you'll end up right in the same spot you are now. It'll get foggy before you know it. The best way to make sure everything is peachy is to let it bake in the oven or the sun for a little while (oven smells terrible FYI, not recommended for more than a few minutes) before you put your seal back on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you are 300% certain you've gotten all the moisture out of the headlight before doing a reseal or you'll end up right in the same spot you are now. It'll get foggy before you know it. The best way to make sure everything is peachy is to let it bake in the oven or the sun for a little while (oven smells terrible FYI, not recommended for more than a few minutes) before you put your seal back on.
Will do! I have paper towels, compressed air, and a heat gun ready to go!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I’ve seen used housings on eBay for $250 for the 14-15 as I’ve been looking to pick up a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts