Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 Mazda 6 GT with 130k miles with every option there seems to be. Skyactive, adaptive cruise, lights, blind spot, cross traffic, etc.
Drives and looks in mint condition, although driver door squeaks. Bought it from a Honda dealer who had taken it in trade, 1 owner, spot less CARFAX. Too spotless? All it basically shows is annual state inspections, nothing else. Dealer said owner serviced it at a local auto repair place that did not report into CARFAX, as they didn’t want to pay for the reporting fee. On one hand if it had 130k miles on it, I figured it must have had regular maintenance or it wouldn’t of been able to have such mileage. The Dealer put new tires on it and an oil change. Also, before I picked it up they said they put a new battery in it. Which in turn meant I would have to bring it back after a 100 miles for the state inspection which they had included. Yes, that would cause a OBDC reader to show not ready but I don’t think it would erase codes. I think only a tool could do that and you wouldn’t need to change the battery. Paid about $9500. Should I bring it to a Mazda dealer to get a full report on its condition? A little late for that I know, but just for peace of mind. What should they check? The VIN shows no open recalls. No idea about any TSBs. Comments?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Not all that uncommon. You run a Carfax on mine and other than the recalls that were done you won't find anything as I turn all my own wrenches.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I may check Carfax, but overall I consider it largely a waste of time with great marketing around it. There are SOO many places that don’t report to them, plus all of us who do our own maintenance, that about all it’s good for is to confirm whether an actual dealer performed X or Y service. Not even all of those report to Carfax, IME.

As far as taking it to a dealer for inspection now: Go ahead if it’ll help you sleep better. For me, I don’t see the point now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What's worse is getting the Carfax indicating 'collision' but $0, can't determine if minor/major accident.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
My '18 3 had a single Carfax entry, but no details. That entry is now gone and the $10k deer hit i had in 2019 shows, but with no accident data. So, take the CF with a LOT of grains of salt. Its more of a scam than its useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts