Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their 6 in for the fuel canister recall or whatever it was? I dropped my car off last Wed and they said they STILL are not done, wondering how long this should take?

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Has anyone taken their 6 in for the fuel canister recall or whatever it was? I dropped my car off last Wed and they said they STILL are not done, wondering how long this should take?
Well it should only take 2 days depending on if they had to order a part or not. Take into consideration that they mainly do oil changes on weekends and it should have at most been done today. I'd give them a call and see what's up - the repair itself isn't anything crazy, but from what I heard they aren't sure if they have to order a special part or not until they get in there.

I'll be taking mine in on Wed this week :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Took me one day. I dropped it off the Tuesday evening. they worked on the car Wednesday, and I had it back Thursday morning.
They had to drain the tank, and pull the back seat out of the car.
What sucked is the interior had a distink "fuel" smell to it when I picked it up, and the car was a half tank (about $25 in my area) low. I had a full tank when I dropped it off. The service manager indicated they would have to drain the tank and that they would lose a littel fuel in the process. Ok I understand that, however I didn't expect them to not put back a half tank worth of gas! I complained, and the service manager gave me the dealership's Sunoco card to fill up the car. I filled it up at the corner Sunoco, and brought back the card. So watch your fuel state, and bring it in as close to empty as you can. preferable on the "E" with zero miles left.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the call about thirty mins after the post, go figure.

I had a quater of a tank.

They were waiting to redo my rear doorsills, they saw that a new part number for a reenforced door sill had come out so they priority ordered me one that will be there next thursday. They were orignally waiting on the same style door sill. I will post the diffrence between the two next week! I missed my car so so much driving that base three.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
I got the call about thirty mins after the post, go figure.

I had a quater of a tank.

They were waiting to redo my rear doorsills, they saw that a new part number for a reenforced door sill had come out so they priority ordered me one that will be there next thursday. They were orignally waiting on the same style door sill. I will post the diffrence between the two next week! I missed my car so so much driving that base three.
Awesome news. Glad you got her back.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you don't receive a letter the recall doesn't apply to you. It only applies to earlier-manufactured 6's. No 2015 cars are recalled either.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My car is scheduled for my day off tomorrow (actually have 2 appts, separate dealers with roughly same time, depends on which city I end up at that time).

Per dealer, it will take around 2 hrs tops. Also, it is advised to have the fuel level at most 1/4 (I was 1/8 yesterday, have to fill 2gals to be safe, up a notch over 1/4)...now back to 1/4 as I write this. Just want to be easier work for the Mazda Tech (less tired, better workmanship)..so no issues/hassles, after all is said and done. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
So to speed things up, my appointment is next thursday should I just tell them now to order the part so I can minimize the 1-day process or do I have to wait until they check it first?
Have to wait to check AFAIK. I told me place last Wednesday and they scheduled it then, but they still have to wait for some reason. Beats me, but I would assume it has something to do with certain models maybe have different ways to apply the fix and they don't know until they're in there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have to wait to check AFAIK. I told me place last Wednesday and they scheduled it then, but they still have to wait for some reason. Beats me, but I would assume it has something to do with certain models maybe have different ways to apply the fix and they don't know until they're in there.
My dealer is waiting for some special tools to be delivered to perform the recall on mine. I am just waiting for the call. They said I'll be the first one to get it done there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Per my dealer, it takes a day or two due to the labor necessary to remove the charcoal canister. Because of the overfilling problem, the only way to test the canister is to weigh it, which requires a scale that most shops do not have (over mail weight, but under heavy weight). Once they determine if its within the proper weight limit, they install the new adapter and have to put everything back together. If a new canister is needed, you have to wait until the part comes in and is replaced.

I brought my car in on Monday evening, got a call saying it was done today, but they were waiting on a rear door seal to come in tomorrow and I could pick it up during my lunch tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what, if anything, looks different and if they give any additional info.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Some great useful info here, so let's say you don't ever overfill how critical is this recall? I never ever fill past the shutoff. I don't feel comfortable with the dealership tearing into the car. Taking gas out putting it back etc.. They are gonna fuck something up I can just feel it.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Some great useful info here, so let's say you don't ever overfill how critical is this recall? I never ever fill past the shutoff. I don't feel comfortable with the dealership tearing into the car. Taking gas out putting it back etc.. They are gonna fuck something up I can just feel it.
I wouldn't say very critical if you NEVER fill the tank, but I'm doing that in the event that I have to drive a long distance like I will be this summer. Driving her 900 miles down to Myrtle Beach in July so I'll want a full tank.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My contact from Mazda Corporate HQ (Dan Xt 1178) said it will take up to 3 hours (on recall letter) and that the recall part is already in my dealer of choice (1 of 2 appointments I've set up for today). He also stressed that the tank has to be less than 1/2 level (I'm below 1/4 tank now..duh.:rolleyes:).

I am in constant contact with him/Corporate via email/phone and had him coordinate this whole visit.

As in all my past warranty visits..I deal --> Corporate --> dealer. I always have a case #. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Hopefully they are providing loaner cars. 2-3 days in wait times is extreme. Thought this would be a quick fix before my trip to Vegas but I guess not.
They'll get you a rental, chances are it'll be a 3 or Cx5 2012 or something. Though I wouldn't mind a 2014 3 ;)

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear anything, been here nearly 90 minutes at this point (but also getting an alignment done) and haven't heard a word of the status.

EDIT: Just spoke to the service department. They're about halfway through and so far, so good. He's not sure if I'll take it home today or not.

EDIT 2: Tech jut came to see me, everything's fine with my canister, barring anything crazy, I'll have my car back today.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts