Mazda 6 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share this with everyone - just put this in my build thread too:

Some more thoughts on driving and feel of the car. I can't speak much on behalf of the power since I've been driving like a grandma, but here are a couple things that I've noticed (both good and bad):

• Paddle shifters are a tad too short (low?). If you want to hold the wheel 10 and 2, they're situated where your ring and pinky fingers are, rather than middle and ring (which would be more comfortable).

And if you want to hold the wheel properly (at 9 and 3), the wheel isn't nearly as comfortable and there's no place to rest your thumbs aside from on the dash controls (not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't ALWAYS want my thumbs in that position). Also at 9 and 3, my small French Canadian hands can't be both comfortable, AND reach the paddle shifters - they're a bit too close to the wheel, but then again I'm probably just too short lol)

• The vents, and vent positions are superb. The old car I had a tough time warming my hands up without blasting hot air into my face. (First world problems). But my eyes dry out very easily and that's a problem if you have to pick between frozen hands and blindness lol.

The vents locations/angles on this car are great for any warming needs, and DAMN does it feel good to have my seat warmers back and working. I missed those, but for the life of me I can't see why anyone would need 3 settings! On the first setting, my a$$ is NICE and toasty, who needs it to be warmer? :lol:

• The transmission, now that I've put some miles on her, is smooth, crisp, and amazing :) Shifts are extremely clean (both up and down) and have become slightly quicker when using manual mode. I just read a motor trend article in a magazine, and they couldn't praise the transmission on the 2014 enough. They said it FAR exceeds the hesitant and unreliable Altima, the Accord, and certainly the Fusion, and I couldn't agree more.

• It's the little things, really. The gas cap is on a rubber line (like most cars have now), but the best part is that there's a little metal clip that you can hang the cap on while filling up. This way, the cap doesn't have to dangle on the side of the car. I don't know if that hinge was there on purpose for this reason or not, but damnit it's great that it's there!

Listen up ladies, NO hard acceleration!! :laugh:
At least for a month.

Discussion starter · #104 · (Edited)
Updated OP:

After 3000 Miles of Daily Driving (like an old lady):

• As many of you might know, I can be considered what some people call an "extreme commuter." I drive 64 miles EACH way to and from work 5 days a week. In lay-man's terms, I drive a hell-of-a-lot.

I'm up around 3200 miles since buying the car 1 month ago, and figured I'd weigh in on a few more things for those possibly aspiring to purchase this vehicle. I hope this information can be helpful to those who read it. I know I talk a lot, but if it can even help one person make a decision to buy the car, it's worth it :)

Pros:
  • The car certainly handles like the original 6's, perhaps even better. It bites at the turns and keeps begging for more speed. Unless on very sharp turns, the paddle shifters offer a great means to change gears while keeping a firm grip on the wheel. I was not a fan of these at first, but I am getting used to them and prefer them over the shift knob.

• The transmission has worked itself in a bit and shifts are super clean and very quick. I can't say enough about how cleanly the car changes gears, even 1st into 2nd are noticeably better than the 6's competitors (Altima, Accord, etc).

• Heated side mirrors kick ass when you live in New England, especially when my city (Worcester) has had the most snow of any city this year, and it's 5th snowiest winter in recorded (Worcester) history :)

• Auto-dimming side mirror and rear view mirrors work quickly and efficiently. I am still getting used to the green hue/tint that they cause all headlights to get, but aside from that they work very well and it's much nicer than having to get the reflection of my headliner in my rear view. (See: Old crappy mirror dimming techniques).

• Back-up camera is a godsend while parking in Boston. At first I couldn't stand the fish-eye lens look, but I knew in time I would learn to love it, and boy do I ever. I feel like I can park anywhere with that thing, as long as there's enough space lol. Doesn't phase me, although I do still prefer to double check with my side mirrors JUST to be sure.

• Blind Spot monitoring is also very handy, and comes into use more often than I would have imagined. I typically fiddle with my side mirrors until there is virtually no blind spot, but with that added confidence that the car doesn't put that little light on, I can change lanes without hesitation or worry (for the most part, MA drivers still suck).

• Triple-blink option for your directionals is a wonderful new way to be lazy. I wasn't aware of it's functionality until @SonicNutrition pointed it out to me. Now I don't have to worry about turning the turn signals off once I'm done changing lanes - another calorie saved by American ingenuity! - But seriously, they're very nice when you don't want to be worrying about your turn signals while changing lanes.

Cons:
  • Perhaps I'm still not used to owning an automatic (since I never have), but the lag time when punching it kills me. I want the power, and I want it NAO! It was actually a bit scary one time when I went to change lanes and needed to get up on it to avoid the jack-wagon flying up in the lane with blatant disregard, but for a split-second the car didn't move at all, and my heart stopped, but then she kicked in and got going. Don't know about you, but I'm not typically a fan of heart-stopping near-misses.

• Again with the auto-transmission. I find myself driving very carefully while trying to get the most out of my mpgs. But I also find myself often saying: "Damnit! SHIFT Already!" - The ATX, when trying to get up to speed AND going up a hill (no matter the size) takes its sweet-ass time shifting to the next gear. Even on tiny little hills, I swear the car will wait until I throw it into Manual mode before it shifts. Kind of like: "Oh, driver had to put into manual mode, must be time to shift."

• Apple needs to get their act together and fix the freaking Bluetooth Shuffle playback problem already! (Not a 2014 problem), just want my shuffle working!

• The "Centerpoint" option works great, but only for the driver. That's it's job, really, but that means I have to turn it off with passengers in the car if they are to really enjoy the music. The "AudioPilot" option doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's On or Off - maybe I'm not doing something right, but it doesn't change anything for me.

• The Navigation color settings for nighttime are terrible. I'll rephrase, if it's not pitch black out, or damn near close, the default color settings are NOT visible at all. All secondary options for colors are ugly. Let me pick my own colors, dammit! :D

• The center shift knob, when put into manual mode, is backwards (to me). I know that Because:Racecar the setup is how it is, but it doesn't make sense in my brain. In Manual Mode, if you want to Shift UP (IE: From 1st gear into 2nd), you press the knob DOWN. Likewise, if you want to shift DOWN (IE: From 3rd into 2nd), you press the knob UP. My brain just doesn't understand this, maybe I need to find someone with a Forza steering setup......

Edit: Fixed wording on this part: "The center shift knob, when put into manual mode, is backwards (to me). I know that Because:Racecar the setup is how it is, but it doesn't make sense in my brain. "

Updated OP:

• The center shift knob, when put into manual mode, is backwards (to me). I know that Because:Racecar the setup is how it is, but it doesn't make sense in my brain. In Manual Mode, if you want to Shift UP (IE: From 1st gear into 2nd), you press the knob DOWN. Likewise, if you want to shift DOWN (IE: From 3rd into 2nd), you press the knob UP. My brain just doesn't understand this, maybe I need to find someone with a Forza steering setup......
BMW has the same set up. While the logic of pulling down to up shift and pushing up to down shift does not make sense, the actual feel of the motion of pulling back to up shift and pushing forward to down shift does feel right, which is why the two brands that focus their vehicles around the "driver" do it that way.

Think of it this way, if you were on a track under WOT, or close to it, you would be pressed back in your seat. When you decelerate or brake, your body moves forward. Make sense?

IIRC, it also mimics the shift patterns of a couple different race cars as well.

What's even dumber? Shifting SIDE TO SIDE, like what Chrysler products did with their AutoStick. Not sure if they still do the same thing or not...

Discussion starter · #107 ·
BMW has the same set up. While the logic of pulling down to up shift and pushing up to down shift does not make sense, the actual feel of the motion of pulling back to up shift and pushing forward to down shift does feel right, which is why the two brands that focus their vehicles around the "driver" do it that way.

Think of it this way, if you were on a track under WOT, or close to it, you would be pressed back in your seat. When you decelerate or brake, your body moves forward. Make sense?
IIRC, it also mimics the shift patterns of a couple different race cars as well.

What's even dumber? Shifting SIDE TO SIDE, like what Chrysler products did with their AutoStick. Not sure if they still do the same thing or not...
Yes, it certainly mimics Racecars, which I can see where they're coming from. And it makes sense to me logically, but damnit my brain and muscles haven't gotten used to it. :)

But wait, SIDE TO SIDE? - WTF is that?

Oh and one thing I forgot in my review, which is probably the thing making me (2nd) happiest about this car (first being the looks) - MPG.

Currently averaging (Highway AND City) - 36.0mpg <-- Freaking kick ass.

It's the little things, really. The gas cap is on a rubber line (like most cars have now), but the best part is that there's a little metal clip that you can hang the cap on while filling up. This way, the cap doesn't have to dangle on the side of the car. I don't know if that hinge was there on purpose for this reason or not, but damnit it's great that it's there!
I and my wife LOVE that feature on my BMW 330 Ci :)
wifey (who is the primary driver of the new 6) keeps saying seems Mazda took some cues from BMW - The 3-spoke small diameter steering wheel, the elegant but simple and straight-forward dash/middle console area reminds me of a euro car and not a Japanese one...

I also like that the goose neck hinges of the trunk have their own little 'boxes' to slide into and hide.

(speaking of the small steering wheel - i might use a steering wheel cover...wonder if there are any that fit this size wheel)

I and my wife LOVE that feature on my BMW 330 Ci :)
wifey (who is the primary driver of the new 6) keeps saying seems Mazda took some cues from BMW - The 3-spoke small diameter steering wheel, the elegant but simple and straight-forward dash/middle console area reminds me of a euro car and not a Japanese one...

I also like that the goose neck hinges of the trunk have their own little 'boxes' to slide into and hide.

(speaking of the small steering wheel - i might use a steering wheel cover...wonder if there are any that fit this size wheel)
Um they did take cues from Euro cars, they bench marked Euro cars like Audi and BMW. Something more upscale than there competition, and it shows :) My landlord looked at my new car and was amazed by it, then said "Oh it's just a Mazda". Um gee thanks, ya rich bastard! lol Some people just buy off labels only, lol.

Um they did take cues from Euro cars, they bench marked Euro cars like Audi and BMW. Something more upscale than there competition, and it shows :) My landlord looked at my new car and was amazed by it, then said "Oh it's just a Mazda". Um gee thanks, ya rich bastard! lol Some people just buy off labels only, lol.
hehe - 'Just a mazda' eh? like you said some people will never learn
I sure love my BMW but i certainly don't show it off, or think it's the ueber-car or whatever; If Mazda can be more dependable and fuel efficient while looking like a million bucks, that's great, I think.

Perhaps you should show this link to your landlord :) especially if the new 6 wins:
Aston Martin Vanquish, Jaguar F-Type and Mazda6 Named Finalists for World Car Design of the Year - AutoConception.com

• Perhaps I'm still not used to owning an automatic (since I never have), but the lag time when punching it kills me. I want the power, and I want it NAO! It was actually a bit scary one time when I went to change lanes and needed to get up on it to avoid the jack-wagon flying up in the lane with blatant disregard, but for a split-second the car didn't move at all, and my heart stopped, but then she kicked in and got going. Don't know about you, but I'm not typically a fan of heart-stopping near-misses.

• Again with the auto-transmission. I find myself driving very carefully while trying to get the most out of my mpgs. But I also find myself often saying: "Damnit! SHIFT Already!" - The ATX, when trying to get up to speed AND going up a hill (no matter the size) takes its sweet-ass time shifting to the next gear. Even on tiny little hills, I swear the car will wait until I throw it into Manual mode before it shifts. Kind of like: "Oh, driver had to put into manual mode, must be time to shift."

Those are basically traits of all autos. Even so I think the 6 is better than most of them. Very few cars have an ATX that manages to circumvent this (the FT-86 is one that does). I wonder if there is anything that can be done aftermarket, without getting too risky, that would improve on this???

My test drive impressions

I test drove Mazda 6 sport and touring models today followed by Honda accord sport model. Mazda6 touring model felt much harsher than Mazda6 sport model and road noise was noticeably pronounced due to 19 inch wheels.

Between Accord sport and Mazda6 sport:
  • Cloth seat quality was better in Mazda 6.
  • Mazda 6 felt somewhat under-powered as compared to accord sport.
  • Accord was louder (engine noise) than mazda 6 due to CVT I guess.
  • Road noise was slightly greater in Mazda 6 sport.
  • I did not test extremities of handling capabilities but both were enough for my daily driving needs.

I believe all Mazda have a louder sense of road noise when compared to similar offerings from competitors. I'm surprised that the Accord's engine was louder in comparison. The Accord Sport was the runner up when I was making my final decision. So close to being a Honda owner twice around but never pulled the trigger, Honda Fit Sport last year and the Honda Accord Sport this year.

Discussion starter · #114 · (Edited)
Updated OP:

Hitting the 10,000 Mile Mark:

• Wait.....10,000 miles, already!? Where did the time go? Wow it's really been that many miles already.

• This will most likely be my last entry into this since at this point I've reviewed and written my opinions on just about everything that there is on this car, both appealing and not.

• 10,000 miles, and it only feels like 100. This car is brand new every time I step into it. It's brand new every time i walk away from it. The car looks, feels, and (to a point) even still smells new. Every time I walk away or see the car from a distance, it amazes me. The body lines and overall appeal of the car is unparalleled.

• The transmission, if possible, got even smoother than my last post. I don't feel shifts at all. I've gotten used to the shifting scheme and I'm more acquainted with the paddle shifters. The car shows a bit more grunt than it used to, either that or I'm forgetting what my V6 felt like - either way I enjoy driving it and the smaller engine still allows for a great drive. After 10k miles I've not once reset my Avg. MPG calculator - it's sitting comfortably at 35.5mpgs with roughly 80% highway and 20% city.

• The bluetooth seems to have (somewhat) fixed itself. I updated the TomTom software and now it actually prompts me to read SMS messages when I receive them, but it refuses to load them on the screen - odd. The shuffle playback is doing much better, but I still have to use the audio command to "Shuffle All" each time I start the car.

• Leaving this short and sweet. The car is amazing and I'd never regret purchasing it even for a second.

10,000 miles, and it only feels like 100. This car is brand new every time I step into it. It's brand new every time i walk away from it. The car looks, feels, and (to a point) even still smells new.

Would love to know how you manage to keep the "new car smell" :D

I'm a bit obsessive about it, and I am already paranoid as my car was a showroom display piece where the windows were down for a week, so before buying it I kept on fearing the "smell" would have decreased.

Its 2 weeks old, and the smell is there, but I am just terrified that one day I wont notice it. :lol:

Discussion starter · #117 ·

I'm a bit obsessive about it, and I am already paranoid as my car was a showroom display piece where the windows were down for a week, so before buying it I kept on fearing the "smell" would have decreased.

Its 2 weeks old, and the smell is there, but I am just terrified that one day I wont notice it. :lol:
Haha being obsessive about it is how you keep the smell around. I clean the thing constantly and I make sure any foul oder stays in the trunk since it airs out better.

They also sell air fresheners with that smell and you could sneak one into the cabin filter area so it floods the car with the smell when the A/C is on :lol:

It's a good thing cars don't have that new car smell. It was out-gassing of the materials in the car, glues, etc.

I do miss that smell, but understand why it isn't as strong as it used to be.

• The transmission, if possible, got even smoother than my last post. I don't feel shifts at all. I've gotten used to the shifting scheme and I'm more acquainted with the paddle shifters. The car shows a bit more grunt than it used to, either that or I'm forgetting what my V6 felt like - either way I enjoy driving it and the smaller engine still allows for a great drive. After 10k miles I've not once reset my Avg. MPG calculator - it's sitting comfortably at 35.5mpgs with roughly 80% highway and 20% city.

• The bluetooth seems to have (somewhat) fixed itself. I updated the TomTom software and now it actually prompts me to read SMS messages when I receive them, but it refuses to load them on the screen - odd. The shuffle playback is doing much better, but I still have to use the audio command to "Shuffle All" each time I start the car.
I'm at almost 9000 miles and I have to agree 100%. I've noticed the car getting notably quicker and shifts have become unbelievably smooth.

I promise it's not just you getting "use" to it. This weekend for me, Saturday I drove the Formula (remember 400+HP there and 370 at the wheels), Sunday the CX7 (Turbo with 260HP ~220? at the wheels) Step back into the 6 today, never missed a beat on power. It's always a bit of a droop coming from the formula, but the CX7 to 6 transition is un-noticable when driving both equivalently though I rarely ever drive the 6(MPG) like I drive the CX7(Fun garbage hauler for me, DD for wifey) LOL.. Lest I forget the Formula... Raped Ape Drive it like it could be the last time kinda deal, for acceleration purposes at least.. y'know.. gotta make sure her nose isn't getting stopped up sitting in the garage ;)

Reactions: Byakuya
Updated OP:
  • Triple-blink option for your directionals is a wonderful new way to be lazy. I wasn't aware of it's functionality until @SonicNutrition pointed it out to me. Now I don't have to worry about turning the turn signals off once I'm done changing lanes - another calorie saved by American ingenuity! - But seriously, they're very nice when you don't want to be worrying about your turn signals while changing lanes.
Is this on the GT only? I think (it's been a few months since I drove the 6Touring) but I was only getting 1 blink.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.