Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All direct injection engines are pretty loud. First time I heard Skyactiv 3, I thought it sounded like a tractor lol.
IMHO the Accord is ugly.
Actually it tones down after the initial heat up, it's part of the skyactiv tech ( from what I've read ), it settles down after a moment to a really nice idle.

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
My 2014 Test Drive Experience

Actually it tones down after the initial heat up, it's part of the skyactiv tech ( from what I've read ), it settles down after a moment to a really nice idle.
This is true. While startup and first idle are a little louder than expected (not that loud at all though), once it settles down to regular idle it's hardly noticeable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know it tones down. Every car tones down after it warms up.
But the Six sounds a bit different because their tech is similar how diesel engines run and directly injected fuel @3000psi has some to do with tone.
I agree it does have a really nice idle. :yesnod: I can't wait to get mine. :spin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it tones down. Every car tones down after it warms up.
But the Six sounds a bit different because their tech is similar how diesel engines run and directly injected fuel @3000psi has some to do with tone.
I agree it does have a really nice idle. :yesnod: I can't wait to get mine. :spin:
Just picked up our 6 sport AT today, love it.

Will post some pics when I get the camera charged.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I test drove a Touring on Saturday. The interior looks and feels nice, with the exception of the nav screen. It just looks somewhat plain. I'm hoping Mazda swaps this out for the 2015 MY.

I drove the vehicle for about 5-6 miles on suburban roads and on the highway as well. The vehicle had 214 miles on it already, so I'm assuming it's the demo the dealer has been using. The TPMS light was also on, which I think they should've looked into but oh well.

The interior had just enough headroom for me (I'm 6'3) without the sunroof. The seats were comfortable enough, but I felt the bolsters were too narrow and were hitting about mid-shoulder as opposed to wrapping around me. I am a big dude (300 lbs.), but I still didn't expect the seats to feel narrow. My TSX is a smaller vehicle, and the seats coddle me perfectly.

So on to the road... I hit the gas to get up to speed from the dealership's lot. There was a small hill right after and the speed limit is 45. I pushed the pedal what felt like halfway down, and the car felt slow. Maybe it's not warmed up yet...

So I continue up the road which has a few hills, the car still felt somewhat slow to me. Maybe I need to open it up on the highway. I take a right then a left to get to the highway on ramp, the car corners well but doesn't feel as taut as the 1st gen. but it holds the road nicely.

I get on the highway ramp and I push the pedal to accelerate. No real 'jump' after a downshift. Further...further..further down to the FLOOR (before the kickdown switch) and I was going about 55-60. It felt completely dead flat to me. I finally hit the kickdown, and the car took off. I drove for 3 miles on the highway, and I needed to pass a slower moving vehicle. Pushed the pedal all the way down again, flat. Ok... hit the kickdown, drops 2 gears and it finally moves, but not as quickly as I'd have expected.

The noise levels from the engine was good, and it was a sweet sound. The road noise level was high to me. I asked my friend, who went with me, he said it sounded pretty loud to him.

Overall, I was disappointed in the test drive. The handling was good, the seats were uncomfortable as all hell after just 10 minutes. The power was also an issue for me when merging or passing.

I also tried not comparing it to my car, because I know they're not in the same category. But I would be lying if I didn't say I felt let down by the redesign. :(

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
How was the road noise compared to the first gen?
Road noise is much less than my 1st gen. Granted a lot of that has to do with what tires you're running, but overall the car feels tighter and better put-together, but that also takes away from the sporty feel a bit.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
How was the road noise compared to the first gen?
I had 18s and lowered suspension on my 1st gen, so it was louder and more harsh but it wasn't stock. I had the 1st gen modded so long, I don't rememeber how it felt stock lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
someone drag race a 2013 accord.
4-Cyl to 4-Cyl will be close - I've driven both. However if it's a V-6 Accord then don't bother. I just did a second test drive of the Mazda6 and then went to the Honda dealer and drove a 2013 Accord Touring V6. The Accord is MUCH stronger with the V6.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
4-Cyl to 4-Cyl will be close - I've driven both. However if it's a V-6 Accord then don't bother. I just did a second test drive of the Mazda6 and then went to the Honda dealer and drove a 2013 Accord Touring V6. The Accord is MUCH stronger with the V6.
Idk about that. I haven't driven a new Accord 4cyl (no interest), but Consumer Reports pegged it at 7.7 0-60. I haven't seen any tests of the new 6, but it didn't feel as quick as that on the road to me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe some have tested the new Mazda6 at around 7.8/7.9 seconds to 60. From my driving, I think it would achieve a sub-8 second 0-60 time with modest temperatures at sea level. Each car plus the test conditions vary, so there is a margin of error to be accounted for. They should be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Idk about that. I haven't driven a new Accord 4cyl (no interest), but Consumer Reports pegged it at 7.7 0-60. I haven't seen any tests of the new 6, but it didn't feel as quick as that on the road to me...

I didn't feel that way either.

the mazda felt sluggish compared to the 4 banger accord cvt

However, feeling may be misleading because the mazda engine sounded smoother. You know, loud cars sound faster than they really are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i smell BS from a mile, cvt maybe boring but it is efficient and 1 sec.of difference is not realistic , sport sedan and Honda sounds like oxymoron , choice of CVT for "sport" sedan does sound the same ... Honda in a senseless chase after the most boring of all Toyota has lost hard earned reputation among enthusiasts and now this , "sport" sedan with vaccum cleaner like CVT transmission... joke!!! Look and drive Mazdas new 6 speed - that is a new technology and fun to drive from automatic that is anything but conventional ... I guess money can buy a lot , i drove the 13 accord and felt that altima was a better car and drive , accord is closer to new camry than new 6 ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the reveiw. I have always loved my mazda6 but my only gripe is the power output of the 2.5L. With the 6-speed manual if my car had another 30-35hp I would keep it forever. Even with the new 2014 having a bit more power I just dont see it being enough. I'll have to test drive one to decide. If the new model had 200-210hp out of the 4cyl I'd likely buy one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To add to this, I would consider a new accord sport 6-speed manual in the future over the mazda6. The 0-60 rating in the 6.7 second range is exactly what I wish mazda offered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you buy a 4cyl 2.5 you know that it is not going to have the grunt of a 6cyl 3.8 or 4.0 or what ever. Unfortunately Mazda had to redesign the 6 according to what it considered would give it the optimum chance for continued profitability across all markets. So this is what they created.

A car, almost rivalling the hybrids in fuel efficiency
A car that should test 5 star in the NCAP safety ratings (if the CX5 is anything to go on)
A car that has all the safety extras, like BSM, LDW, smart brake, etc
A car with all the extras to appeal to gen Y,X, Z etc
A car that has a finish that makes it competitive with other brands
A car that has the sweetest automatic of all the fours
A car that has great design and road appeal
A car that has the option of a 2.2 diesel which all the reviews say has all the power you need (and even more fuel efficiency)
A car, that has Mazda's reputation for reliability and residual value
A car, which most importantly, is just great fun to drive!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hope they come out with the Coupe version.... I guess with 184hp with a 6-speed manual I'm interested. Hopefully there will be some a tune available for the skyActive line of engines to take advantage of the high compression ratio. I would Imagine a good tune and premium fuel would bump the numbers up to the 200hp mark or close with an intake.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts