Mazda 6 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just hope Mazda continues to surge ahead and evolve for generations to come because their dynamic edge is beginning to wane, as other manufacturers like Honda are beginning to match the ride, handling balance that has defined the Mazda brand. With Hyundai reportedly having plans to build a testing center at the Nurburgring track in Germany, they will certainly begin to build dynamics into their new generation cars, as this is the only real area Hyundai has not been very competitive on. This will surely start increasing the bar for all mid size vehicles yet to come. Right now though, lets celebrate the midsize vehicle that reigns the dynamic champion. The new 2014 Mazda 6. After all, nothing else in the eyes of an auto enthusiast even matters.

·
Registered
151 Posts
^after taking both on a test drive..the honda really doesnt come close to matching the handling characteristics..

I also find it strange that they thing the interior is nicer on the honda..i specifically remember commenting that it felt cheap and reminded me of the interior of my 05 mazda 3 sport (basest of all base models)..hard textured plastic and not very touch friendly.

i really like the rubberized dash and soft accents allover the interior of this car..it is a "drivers" interior..and its just about perfect IMO.

...also they seem to not mention the fact that hondas reliability rating has gone down since starting to assemble cars in the US.

i would definitely prefer a car built in Japan than one built in the US....americans pretty much suck at building cars.

(according to a consumer reports reliability prediction chart...they claim Mazda reliability has gone up 8 (units of whatever) and honda has gone down 1..since last year. Mazda is rated higher by CR then honda)

http://4simpsons.wordpress.com/2011...e-in-america-but-not-from-american-companies/

·
Registered
16 Posts
(according to a consumer reports reliability prediction chart...they claim Mazda reliability has gone up 8 (units of whatever) and honda has gone down 1..since last year. Mazda is rated higher by CR then honda)
Mazda's reliability has not gone "up 8" and Honda's reliability has not gone "down 1" since last year. The chart shows a brand's range of reliability scores and the average. The "up 8" & "down 1" refer to rankings of the averages. Honda's ranked #5 & Mazda's ranked #4 this year, but they were #4 & #12 last year, respectively. As you can seen on the chart, Honda has a much bigger range. The most reliable Honda was more reliable than Mazda's most reliable, but Honda's least was worst than Mazda's least.

If you're comparing the Accord to the Mazda6, only the ratings of these two are relevant. Consumer reports rated the Accord higher than the Mazda6.

They're currently testing the Mazda6 Sport AT. Obviously, the full report is not out yet, but so far they have commented on the interior:
"It's very nice to have a backup camera. The screen for the audio system looks a bit dated, however. The other complaint about the interior is that it looks a bit cheap. The doors trim have scant illumination around the locks or window switches and there's too much hard plastic trim everywhere."

On their already-tested Accord LX CVT:
"The Accord has a padded dashboard top and similar trim on the door panels. The buttons and knobs have a solid feel, but some switchgear looks and feels cheap.

Everything fits together well, but cheap touches are evident. The "carpet" is like a trunk liner, albeit with nice floor mats covering it. The trunk is fully lined, but the wiring loom is exposed."

I've not seen or tested either model, so I can't say I agree or not. I'm considering both as my next car. Accord EX MT vs Mazda6 Touring MT.

·
Registered
331 Posts
CR has always been biased towards Hon and Toy - no surprise they would always makes others look bad - I never cared for their reviews and i think it's a scam-ish company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CR has always been biased towards Hon and Toy - no surprise they would always makes others look bad - I never cared for their reviews and i think it's a scam-ish company.
So how come they put the Scion iQ, Toyota Yaris LE & Toyota Tacoma on their list of "The disappointing dozen: Cars that fail our tests". They also said the Honda Insight & 2012 Honda Civic scored too low to be recommended. I guess they threw those in to fool us.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mitsubishi/i-miev.htm

·
Registered
142 Posts
New 2014 mazda 6 comparison

Forgot what the website was, but a Canadian auto review pitting the new 6 with the 2013 Nissan Altima SV was conducted there. If your interested in searching it out, I don't want to ruin the test for you, but it is certainly a must read.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That is actually a good read and although I might sound biased due to the car that I ended up choosing amongst the competitors, it's spot on.

Mazda 6 = Better exterior, interior and performance/handling. You lose out on MPG and space against the Altima BUT those 2 factors are actually a nice compromise, at least for me. I came from a 23-24MPG combined to a 30-31MPG combined and a usable trunk space with 60/40 fold down = win.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know its not a direct comparison but I couldn't wait for the diesel any longer.

I went to a local Chevrolet , GMC, Buick dealer to cross shop a GMC Terrain against a CX5 and fell for the Buick Regal GS. They got me for $31800 out the door. Comparable in price to the Mazda6 GT with the FOW and MRCC. I honestly feel like I got more for my money, which was the main focus for me in liking the Mazda6 to begin with.

The GS is very well equipped with Brembos, magnetic ride suspension and the 270 HP turbo of course. Rides great. I hope the diesel works out, still hoping for a Mazda6 home run.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I know its not a direct comparison but I couldn't wait for the diesel any longer.

I went to a local Chevrolet , GMC, Buick dealer to cross shop a GMC Terrain against a CX5 and fell for the Buick Regal GS. They got me for $31800 out the door. Comparable in price to the Mazda6 GT with the FOW and MRCC. I honestly feel like I got more for my money, which was the main focus for me in liking the Mazda6 to begin with.

The GS is very well equipped with Brembos, magnetic ride suspension and the 270 HP turbo of course. Rides great. I hope the diesel works out, still hoping for a Mazda6 home run.

I've looked at the GS also. Buick did a great job with it. Haven't had the opportunity to drive one. I'm impressed you can get a MT in quite a few trim levels. Keep us posted with your initials impressions and beyond. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am really surprised to see a GS with this price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe a 2012. :)

2014 Mazda 6 GT is very unique and not some rebagged vehicle like GS.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,700 Posts
I'm not, frankly. Unfortunately for Buick, sales of their Verano and Regal aren't exactly setting any records right now. And the local dealer has a few GS models on the lot, some have been there for months.

All the more reason that GM should've dumped Buick (and all their 90-year-old owners) and revitalized Pontiac.

·
Registered
206 Posts
GM was trying to get Luxury on the cheap with Buick, besides Buick sells well in China. Pontiac is boy racer, and for that they have Chevy. Pontiac was the odd brand out. There was no market for it. What would you expect, and face lifted Camaro as a Firebird? The Bonneville was gone. The G8 didn't sell well. the G6 couldn't compete. So you're left with..nothing on that front. At least in China, Buick is selling as a luxury car to the masses.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,700 Posts
GM was trying to get Luxury on the cheap with Buick, besides Buick sells well in China. Pontiac is boy racer, and for that they have Chevy. Pontiac was the odd brand out. There was no market for it. What would you expect, and face lifted Camaro as a Firebird? The Bonneville was gone. The G8 didn't sell well. the G6 couldn't compete. So you're left with..nothing on that front. At least in China, Buick is selling as a luxury car to the masses.
China can have Buick, just like Europe has Opel and Vauxhall, and the Aussies have Holden. Unfortunately, the stigma against Buick and its customer base has been engrained in this culture for years, and IMO it's still a shock to see a Buick with a MTX, let alone one without a 90-year-old driver doing 35 in the left lane with their right turn-signal permanently on.

Buick's market will be dead in 10 years, and IF Boomers still want GM, they'll bypass Buick and get a Cadillac. I would.

Pontiac was cursed with their plastic-cladded Chevys for years, but IMO they just needed more time to get more quality products to the market. The G8 didn't sell well because by the time it was released, the writing was already on the wall for Pontiac. Chevy is even bringing it back as the SS, IMO more proof it could have done well. The Firebird and Trans-Am? Yes please! And why wouldn't a hi-po version of the Cobalt and Malibu be a success with a Pontiac badge on it?

Minus the plastic, of course. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've looked at the GS also. Buick did a great job with it. Haven't had the opportunity to drive one. I'm impressed you can get a MT in quite a few trim levels. Keep us posted with your initials impressions and beyond. Congrats and enjoy!
The best part about the GS is that it turns so well, especially since its so heavy. The power is nice, mostly linear, very smooth driving in normal mode, but everything is turned up a notch when you push the GS button.

If Mazda had the turbo diesel out already, I would not have ever walked into the dealership.

Maybe a 2012.

2014 Mazda 6 GT is very unique and not some rebagged vehicle like GS/QUOTE]

It is a 2013 model with a build date of February, bit it has been sitting in their showroom since they received it.

If you don't have any respect for an Opel Insignia I don't know what would get you going.

The only things the Mazda6 has over this GS I just bought IN MY OPINION, BASED ON MY OWN WANTS AND NEEDS are the following:

Rear seat leg room, doesn't even compare, Mazda wins hands down, 4+ inches doesn't seem like a lot at first ( that's what HE said!) but it doesn't even come close, I won't sit back there, I'm 6'4".

MPG's 17/27 22 combined vs 27/38 31 combined. No contest, but I just paid $32000 for a vehicle, if I was too thrifty to pay for gas (and premium at that) I would be way in over my head and I'm not.

That brings us to cost, again I'm in a position that I am not worried about it, but the Mazda6 costs less out the door, cheaper in insure, less for the type of fuel required and less for fuel usage.

But honestly the diesel would have done it for me, I just needed more power when driving through mountains, a year ago I owned a Honda Fit that I bought new in '08 I thought it was plenty, but I quickly outgrew it

I'm 32 now and my tastes have changed, the 6 GT was right there, if I didn't know there was a diesel on the horizon I might have swing that way, timing lost Mazda this sale, nothing wrong with the 6 as a whole.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dude you are only 32. You are TOO young to drive a Buick lol.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.