Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Earth Dreams I4 is supposed to be much better at low revs versus the old K24, torque peak is not far off Mazda's at 3900 RPM. That said, I was surprised at how well Skyactiv 2.5L will lug, in the 1500-2000 RPM levels; felt not far off my 3.0L V6, probably the same when you count that the gearing is actually taller versus my Aisin 6 speed. No other I4 (non-turbo) car I have driven was able to sustain any meaningful, however low, thrust at those engine speeds; they were always trying to get above 2000 RPM even when just breathing on the throttle. 2nd gen 6i was one of the worst with the Jatco auto, torque converter locking and unlocking all the time, no power below 2 grand either.
I test drove both cars before making my decision. 3900 vs 3250 rpms peak tq and 5700 vs 6400 rpms peak hp. Redline 6800 accord vs 6500 Mazda6. The Mazda makes peak tq 800rpms before redline while the accord is only 400 rpms away from redline at peak tq. I've had older civics in the past and while this accords power band isn't extremely high I prefer more lower/mid rpm range power and not have to damn near redline the car before max hp. It's a preference of where I like my power at. Again although other things like a cvt transmission are not for me, as well as styling which is subjective.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I test drove both cars before making my decision. 3900 vs 3250 rpms peak tq and 5700 vs 6400 rpms peak hp. Redline 6800 accord vs 6500 Mazda6. The Mazda makes peak tq 800rpms before redline while the accord is only 400 rpms away from redline at peak tq. I've had older civics in the past and while this accords power band isn't extremely high I prefer more lower/mid rpm range power and not have to damn near redline the car before max hp. It's a preference of where I like my power at. Again although other things like a cvt transmission are not for me, as well as styling which is subjective.
You've confused single RPM torque and horsepower measurements for a powerband, and there's nothing wrong with making power at the redline as long as thats not the only place you make power. I haven't driven the new Accord, but if reviews are to be believed the powerband is better than the old K24 (and how most past Honda I4's made power), and also looks better via the single point measurements. I have driven the new 6 though and was very impressed with the powerband, torquey from low (1400) RPM and held power all the way up the tach. I suspect the locked-up transmission had a lot to do with the low rpm feel, that thing is fantastic! I like both low end torque and high RPM power though, and I never felt compelled to rev the new 6 past 6k; it wasn't going soft, but it definitely wasn't building more power. If the new Accord feels like the Sonata, gutless and won't hold rpms below 2 grand, then the 6 is better to me without considering the high rpm rush. I regularly run my 1st gen 6s up past 6k, because it makes power there, but I also lug it around well below 2k quite often because my commute, if lights are timed properly, keeps me moving between 30-45mph with no stops or rapid acceleration events. Glad you picked the 6 though, I am transmission jealous. Are you going to trade up for stickier tires?

·
Registered
274 Posts
You've confused single RPM torque and horsepower measurements for a powerband, and there's nothing wrong with making power at the redline as long as thats not the only place you make power. I haven't driven the new Accord, but if reviews are to be believed the powerband is better than the old K24 (and how most past Honda I4's made power), and also looks better via the single point measurements. I have driven the new 6 though and was very impressed with the powerband, torquey from low (1400) RPM and held power all the way up the tach. I suspect the locked-up transmission had a lot to do with the low rpm feel, that thing is fantastic! I like both low end torque and high RPM power though, and I never felt compelled to rev the new 6 past 6k; it wasn't going soft, but it definitely wasn't building more power. If the new Accord feels like the Sonata, gutless and won't hold rpms below 2 grand, then the 6 is better to me without considering the high rpm rush. I regularly run my 1st gen 6s up past 6k, because it makes power there, but I also lug it around well below 2k quite often because my commute, if lights are timed properly, keeps me moving between 30-45mph with no stops or rapid acceleration events. Glad you picked the 6 though, I am transmission jealous. Are you going to trade up for stickier tires?
I didn't confuse a thing. I pointed out the peak measurements and I have driven the new accord so not only am I aware of its peak measurements but I felt its powerband as well. Maybe it was the CVT transmission because I'm rather new to those, but I didn't like the feel of it. The Mazda seemed flawless with great shift points and nice power down low. I haven't rev'd my own past 4k though cuz I'm breaking it in still. It would have been nice to test drive a 6 speed Accord but there was only 1 in the 5 states closest to me, including my own. I didn't want them to ship one to the dealer just simply cuz the accord didn't thrill me. I don't see a need for stickier tires, the grip is good enough for me. I'm not going to race it, lol.

Also this my first Mazda, and if I like it this much a few years down the road I might need to get another! Gen3 Speed3, hmmm :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honda had to come back with more engaging Accord after Camcordizing last gen to the point where is was as boring as Camry ... i drove the 2013 sport I4 and it does not have the same balance and immediate control connecting to the wheels thru the steering as Mazda 6 has, breaks felt less direct as well - typical Honda as of last 10 years. Mazda 6 was still clearly better balanced car and a nicer package... It will continue to amaze me how clearly better cars will bet outsold by inferior cars - it happens all the time in US :(

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,680 Posts
Interesting method of how they're comparing the cars.

Fusion vs. Sonata = Fusion
Accord vs. Camry = Accord
Optima vs. Passat = Passat
Mazda6 vs. Altima = Mazda6 (WooHoo!)

No surprises with the "Final Four" picks.

Interesting to see what happens tomorrow...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Interesting method of how they're comparing the cars.

Fusion vs. Sonata = Fusion
Accord vs. Camry = Accord
Optima vs. Passat = Passat
Mazda6 vs. Altima = Mazda6 (WooHoo!)

No surprises with the "Final Four" picks.

Interesting to see what happens tomorrow...
From reading what they had to say, I think the finals will be between the Fusion and the Accord Sport with the Accord Sport coming out on top.

I didn't get the vibe that they really enjoyed the 6 and they really seemed to like the Fusion. I would like to see the Fusion go head-to-head with the 6. Kind of like a family reunion with a little "look what I have been up to" thrown in there....

·
Registered
274 Posts
From reading what they had to say, I think the finals will be between the Fusion and the Accord Sport with the Accord Sport coming out on top.

I didn't get the vibe that they really enjoyed the 6 and they really seemed to like the Fusion. I would like to see the Fusion go head-to-head with the 6. Kind of like a family reunion with a little "look what I have been up to" thrown in there....
Agreed with the Fusion vs the Mazda6 lineup. I also agree its sounding like the Accord will be there winner. In my opinion I'd rather have a slightly more "rough" car that's more driver oriented, buts its good to know that the Accord would have been an excellent 2nd choice. My guess is likely what you are thinking. Accord vs Fusion. Accord wins. Mazda6 vs Passat. Mazda6 wins. Then accord winning overall. Best in class Mazda6? Maybe not. Best for my needs? Hell yes :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Auto Mag post that they ran the 6 on winter tires, compared to everyone else on all-seasons. If they didn't just misprint, an odd, if not dubious, choice. Also, they misquote that it is a revised platform, not all new. Their only quote for the blurb was "It's a little too lively, as if it's a Mazda 3 in disguise," which I always thought it drove like a Mazda 3 because both the 3 and the 6 drive like Mazdas!

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,680 Posts
Yes! The Mazda goes to the "finals", beating the Fusion...

...where it will promptly get beat by the Accord. :(

Wow! The rear seats don't split-fold on the Accord? MAJOR negative in my book...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes! The Mazda goes to the "finals", beating the Fusion...

...where it will promptly get beat by the Accord. :(

Wow! The rear seats don't split-fold on the Accord? MAJOR negative in my book...
Losing to the new Accord Sport is really no disgrace. If you have not driven one, it is quite impressive.

Its tough to get a read on these guys. There is a lot of complaints mixed in with the good comments.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow they said lots of negative things about the Fusion. I did get the same feeling one person did. The Fusion did give me a sense of not being finished. I'm glad they pitted the Fusion against the Mazda6!

So now it will be:

Comfortable overall usability (Accord) VS Everyday driving enjoyment (Mazda6). Considering they got best in there categories, it's just a preference at this point of what the person prefers. I think people will choose the Accord as the overall best package, even still Mazda did a great job considering it's not a giant seller like Honda is. However, I'm thinking this 3rd gen Mazda6 will sell just fine :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is my thought. The journalist that stated about wanting the 6 to be a bargain 3 series as far as handling goes, should be aware of the winter rubber on the tested car. We just had a guy on this site (sorry being lazy and not looking up members name) that traded in a tuned Audi A4 that was raving about the 2014 Mazda 6's handling. Granted he only traded do to reliability issues with the Audi, and a voided warranty, but that to me is commendable. They are comparing a Honda Accord on standard wider all season 18s with a 6 shaded with winter tires. That just sounds a little unfair if you ask me. The Accord is highly competent, but I will be highly disappointed if that was planned in order to give the Accord the win. Disappointed also in the critique of the engine performance, when every other review has praised the midrange and torque characteristics of this engines power band. I hate to say it, but I am bracing for an Accord win tomorrow based on the above. Hope I am wrong though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is my thought. The journalist that stated about wanting the 6 to be a bargain 3 series as far as handling goes, should be aware of the winter rubber on the tested car. We just had a guy on this site (sorry being lazy and not looking up members name) that traded in a tuned Audi A4 that was raving about the 2014 Mazda 6's handling. Granted he only traded do to reliability issues with the Audi, and a voided warranty, but that to me is commendable. They are comparing a Honda Accord on standard wider all season 18s with a 6 shaded with winter tires. That just sounds a little unfair if you ask me. The Accord is highly competent, but I will be highly disappointed if that was planned in order to give the Accord the win. Disappointed also in the critique of the engine performance, when every other review has praised the midrange and torque characteristics of this engines power band. I hate to say it, but I am bracing for an Accord win tomorrow based on the above. Hope I am wrong though.
I subscribe to just about all the car mags. Something I have noticed through the years is that it is damn hard for those cars mags not to pick a Honda or BMW in comparison test. Even if numbers cost, performance numbers say otherwise. They seem to always find a reason to pick either the Honda or BMW.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.