Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I question whether Motortend actually road tested another Mazda 6 against the competition at all. The test numbers obtained were identical to the ones they were able to get in the last road test when they tested the GT and the sport MT. Depending on temp, and track conditions, etc. usually different numbers are obtained. Test results tend to vary. If I am right about my speculation, then it is a little disappointing that they wouldn't run separate numbers back to back. Without looking, willing to bet test numbers may be the same as previous tests for the competing cars as well. I could be completely off the mark with this, but it is something to ponder.

With the exception of straight line acceleration it sounds like the 6 won in subjective feel more than outright handling numbers. Much more important in the real world anyway. How many are actually going to drive the 6 at the actual limit of handling. Seems like .84g is plenty of grip for a car in this category. Could have more to do with tires more than anything else. Bet it could hit at least .90g with a proper set of summer tires. I am assuming the skidpad numbers were run with the stability control switched to off, but I am not real sure, and I don't think it was mentioned in the article.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Still very happy to see the Mazda 6 beat the Honda Accord in a segment dominated by the Accord for years. Now let's see if it is good enough to boot the Accord off of Car and Drivers ten best list come January. Can't wait to see the Car and Driver comparison sure to be run soon. To change the subject a little, I am very disappointed in Automobile Magazine, and Road and Track in that they have yet to even test the 6.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This. The type of tires will make a much-larger difference in cornering and braking than a lousy 1/2" of extra wheel width.

Want to out-perform the Accord, get a set of performance summer tires on all four corners, same size as stock. Problem solved.

True, but what if the Accord was wearing the same tires? Would like to see a comparison of both cars with the same tires. It will never happen, but I would love to see it. From everything I have read, evaluators Have praised Mazda 6 for drivetrain, especially transmission, suspension, and to a lesser degree, steering. Steering may be the best in it's class for an electric set up though.

Bottom line is I would rather have a car like the 6 where the handling feel is better than the outright performance stats. Still .84g on a skidpad is nothing to sneeze at. Funny thing is the sport on smaller shoes actually performs better. Which again points to manufacturer of the tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is my thought. The journalist that stated about wanting the 6 to be a bargain 3 series as far as handling goes, should be aware of the winter rubber on the tested car. We just had a guy on this site (sorry being lazy and not looking up members name) that traded in a tuned Audi A4 that was raving about the 2014 Mazda 6's handling. Granted he only traded do to reliability issues with the Audi, and a voided warranty, but that to me is commendable. They are comparing a Honda Accord on standard wider all season 18s with a 6 shaded with winter tires. That just sounds a little unfair if you ask me. The Accord is highly competent, but I will be highly disappointed if that was planned in order to give the Accord the win. Disappointed also in the critique of the engine performance, when every other review has praised the midrange and torque characteristics of this engines power band. I hate to say it, but I am bracing for an Accord win tomorrow based on the above. Hope I am wrong though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How can they even suggest the 2013 Honda Accord is highly maneuverable when it's specs indicate a 39.7' turning circle? This is almost truck like. The 2G 6 was tighter than any of the cars tested, and one of my favorite things about my car. Was kind of disappointed to see this increase for the 3G, but it is still respectable. And less than the 1G 6. Trunk space was also decreased for the 3G, mostly because of the new hinge design. The 2G had the largest in the class. This is the family guy in me talking though, and what really matters to me is the dynamics that Mazda has continued to instill in the 6, and in this regard it is a pure champion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just hope Mazda continues to surge ahead and evolve for generations to come because their dynamic edge is beginning to wane, as other manufacturers like Honda are beginning to match the ride, handling balance that has defined the Mazda brand. With Hyundai reportedly having plans to build a testing center at the Nurburgring track in Germany, they will certainly begin to build dynamics into their new generation cars, as this is the only real area Hyundai has not been very competitive on. This will surely start increasing the bar for all mid size vehicles yet to come. Right now though, lets celebrate the midsize vehicle that reigns the dynamic champion. The new 2014 Mazda 6. After all, nothing else in the eyes of an auto enthusiast even matters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
New 2014 mazda 6 comparison

Forgot what the website was, but a Canadian auto review pitting the new 6 with the 2013 Nissan Altima SV was conducted there. If your interested in searching it out, I don't want to ruin the test for you, but it is certainly a must read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.