Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good point. I checked on that with a tire size comparison calculator and it comes out to 1.8%

I guess the only thing I'm worried about is being flush with the fender. Especially if I do a mild drop on the H&R springs in the summer.

Have you noticed any rubbing or bottoming out on the fender at all?
Not at all. I'll take a picture of the rear tomorrow. Still well tucked in back there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone know what the maximum backspacing is?

i hate offset as it is relative to the specific wheel company and how they measure their wheel. so company 1 will have a different offset then company 2, but still have the same backspacing. OR what i have seen lately, same offset and wheel width, with different backspacing from different companies.

so anyhow, if anyone knows the maximum backspacing, id appreciate it. i got a couple of wheels in mind, but need to make all my measurements before i make a costly mistake.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
anyone know what the maximum backspacing is?

i hate offset as it is relative to the specific wheel company and how they measure their wheel. so company 1 will have a different offset then company 2, but still have the same backspacing. OR what i have seen lately, same offset and wheel width, with different backspacing from different companies.

so anyhow, if anyone knows the maximum backspacing, id appreciate it. i got a couple of wheels in mind, but need to make all my measurements before i make a costly mistake.

Offset is the distance from the center of the wheel. A 0 offset on a 9 inch wide wheel would be at 4.5 inches in from either side of the wheel.

Backspacing is simply wheel width/2 plus the offset.

So a 9 inch wheel with 25mm offset is 9/2 = 4.5 + 1.0 (25mm) = 5.5 inches backspacing.

No magic and no room for subjectivity. If you are seeing anything different from different companies they are BSing and you should avoid them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are misinforming people. backspacing and offset are different for a reason. offset does not measure the bead lock/lip itself, which varies from company to company on how thick they make that bead lock. offset only measures, between the beadlock, where the tires mounts. generally the lip is 3/8-1/2 thick (sometimes thicker) so you would have to tack on an extra 10- 12.5mm to the offset, to get the same measurement of a backspacing. when you are going for perfect fitment, where cleareance is at a absolute minimum, backspacing is always better of the two as there is no guessing as to how thick the bead lock lip is.

and back to my question, anyone know what the maximum backspacing is? in any case, i will probably just go measure myself. this car is too new, and there is clearly more questions then answers. so i will post any info as i go to potentially help others out along the way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think I've seen backspacing discussed before. Is the bead lip the same measurement on both inside and outside rim lip? If so, I don't see it affecting offset - but see how it relates to actual rim width, perhaps varying the distance between the beads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone replaced their wheels with just more of a sidewall? I like the look of the low pros, but really miss the ride of a bigger sidewall. Something like a 225/55-19 or something. I was looking on Tirerack and it seems that 55 is the tallest sidewall the 6 can handle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
So apparently there is a TON of space under our wheel wells. This is 19x9 et24 with a 15mm spacer on 245's. No rubbing with rolled fenders. Actually squared out my setup really well because of the 19x10 et24's in the rear. Less tramlining and squirrelly steering as a result.

Just an FYI.

Currently hunting for new wheels again meheh

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
So just a peace of mind before I take the plunge and order. I as well am looking at a staggered set up. I have found these..
http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/W...&CheckFit=1&fsku=14256&rsku=18186&fwsku=18845

Now the fronts would be 20x8.5 with a +35 offset running a 225/35/20 tire and the rears will be 20x10.5 with a +45 offset running a 255/35/20 tire. Now some may wonder why so wide in the back and its only because Niche is very conservative with there offsets and I was looking for a more concave look. Also I am lowered on H&R springs..... what do you guys think? Will I be ok? I'm hoping the back won't poke out much.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd suggest a square setup. Yes, a staggered setup would look a lot cooler, but after having played with the style 95's in a staggered setup and then a sort-of square setup, I'd stick to squared off wheels.

A lot more stable and it retains some of the OEM geometry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd suggest a square setup. Yes, a staggered setup would look a lot cooler, but after having played with the style 95's in a staggered setup and then a sort-of square setup, I'd stick to squared off wheels.

A lot more stable and it retains some of the OEM geometry.
See the problem I am having is finding a nice and not super expensive concave wheel, and I don't think I could run a 10.5 inch rim up front. Now as far as the car being stable, If you wouldn't mind explaining that to me please? I understand this setup would be totally different from stock, but what goes unstable with the staggered setup? Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So just a peace of mind before I take the plunge and order. I as well am looking at a staggered set up. I have found these..
http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/W...&CheckFit=1&fsku=14256&rsku=18186&fwsku=18845

Now the fronts would be 20x8.5 with a +35 offset running a 225/35/20 tire and the rears will be 20x10.5 with a +45 offset running a 255/35/20 tire. Now some may wonder why so wide in the back and its only because Niche is very conservative with there offsets and I was looking for a more concave look. Also I am lowered on H&R springs..... what do you guys think? Will I be ok? I'm hoping the back won't poke out much.
If you like the concave look, do yourself a favor and forget Niche exists.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ace Alloy Convex 20x9.0 et35. 20x8.5 has almost no concavity, but at 9.0 it's pretty good.
Also BBS LM knockoffs are pretty deep dish at 9 and 9.5 widths.

I also like the Konig Oversteer 19x9.5 and Miro 111 19x9.5 which are both super concave, but they aren't offered in 20 diameter with a concave width that has a workable offset.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm using Mazda OEM Racinghart 2003 MSP 17" rims with Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter 225/60R17 Tires for my Winter Setup. The Mazda6 19" OEM Setup is used April thru November.

The Winter Setup adds 3 MPH above 55MPH (verified by Mazda6 Nav System and Phone Waze APP) and adds 2MPH below 55MPH (oversize tires for chuckhole protection).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where I live, it's very hard to find the OEM tire size 225/45/R19, and now I'm about to get new tires but found other options like 245/45/R19 or 255/40/R19, and if I choose the later, will it be OK?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Where I live, it's very hard to find the OEM tire size 225/45/R19, and now I'm about to get new tires but found other options like 245/45/R19 or 255/40/R19, and if I choose the later, will it be OK?
I wouldn't go over 245 on the stock 7.5 inch wide rim. None of the tire manufacturers even say that 245 is okay per tirerack so you are already pushing it at 245. And I would go with 245/40 not 245/45.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't go over 245 on the stock 7.5 inch wide rim. None of the tire manufacturers even say that 245 is okay per tirerack so you are already pushing it at 245. And I would go with 245/40 not 245/45.
You are right, and it's still a concern for me regarding the rim wide size, but I did the theory part of installation and it showed acceptable results, not sure if it's reliable, but looks interesting to me, have a look and tell me what you think.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been looking for another set of wheels to use for snow tires, and I just found a set of brand new OEM 19" CX-5 take-offs for dirt cheap (almost the same size/dimensions plus the factory look) and was going to go pick them up ... but fortunately I looked on tire rack for snow tires, and there is only ONE tire that's manufactured in the factory 19" size (225/45/19), Blizzak LM32s, which cost $215/tire on sale! Paying almost $950 shipped for tires totally negates the cheap cost of these rims.

Anyone else had any success finding a 19" snow tire? I did a bunch of googling and couldn't find anything else. Looks like I need to wait and find a set of 17s.

Locally, there is a set of 17" CX-5 wheels for $800, a set of 2014 Mazda3 16" alloys for $450, and this set of 19" CX-5 wheels for $200. The 17"s are perfect but way too expensive, the 16"s might work but I don't know if they'll fit over the brakes, and the 19"s I can't find snow tires for. :(

121 - 140 of 185 Posts