Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a fair jackleg machanic and have done a few cv axels but I need to get my daughters Mazda done in a day and never done a Mazda Some cars can be done by taking the top bolt of spindle loose but others require complete tear down. Had anybody replaced axels on Mazda 6 2009-2913?

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
Easiest way is to remove either the strut bolt(s) or the outer tierod from the knuckle. Depending on the amount of rust and your tools usually decides how ya do it but I usually just do the strut bolts. Once you remove those (along with all the braking components and axle nut) you can just move the whole knuckle out of the way and pull the end of the axle out from behind the knuckle. You’ll probably have to hammer out the axle as there’s a locking ring on the end of it and it requires a good amount of force to pop out. For the passenger side you will have to unbolt the race and or just unbolt the entire bracket from the engine block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easiest way is to remove either the strut bolt(s) or the outer tierod from the knuckle. Depending on the amount of rust and your tools usually decides how ya do it but I usually just do the strut bolts. Once you remove those (along with all the braking components and axle nut) you can just move the whole knuckle out of the way and pull the end of the axle out from behind the knuckle. You’ll probably have to hammer out the axle as there’s a locking ring on the end of it and it requires a good amount of force to pop out. For the passenger side you will have to unbolt the race and or just unbolt the entire bracket from the engine block.
Thank you very much. It is the passenger side and I’m not sure I will do it. I got a quote of $220. For the job. If I bought the axel retail it will be close to $100. So I just may let the shop do it for since it would o my be $120 more than the part would cost me. Thanks for yiur response

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
Thank you very much. It is the passenger side and I’m not sure I will do it. I got a quote of $220. For the job. If I bought the axel retail it will be close to $100. So I just may let the shop do it for since it would o my be $120 more than the part would cost me. Thanks for yiur response
Anytime! good luck with the repair and feel free to let us know how it went or if you have any other questions there are plenty of helpful people on here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime! good luck with the repair and feel free to let us know how it went or if you have any other questions there are plenty of helpful people on here.
Thanks for your post I bought a new (not a reman) after market axel from O’Reillys for $93 and surprised they didn’t have a core charge. I have a retired machanic that will do the job for $100. I’m good with that. I’ll update when done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts