Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, my first post here so apologies that it can't be something "cooler" but I had a quick question about my stock 2009 Mazda6 I Sport. The online manual states that

The horn sounds intermittently and the
hazard warning lights flash for about 30
seconds when the system is triggered by
any one of the following:

Forcing open a door, the hood or the
trunk lid.

Unlocking a door with the inside doorlock
knob.

Unlocking a door with the door lock
switch.

Opening a door by operating an inside
door-lock knob.

Is there some special way that I have to arm the car alarm in the Mazda6, clap my hands twice or something? I've rolled my windows down and I'll lock the car, wait 20 seconds and then reach in and unlock the car with the lock switch and the door just opens and nothing, no alarm.

From the manual, the alarm is supposed to go off from opening the door like that right? or am I missing something? Can anyone else try that on their Mazda and let me know if that works? Not sure if I should take my Mazda to the dealer...

Is it possible that I don't have a car alarm and just a panic button? When I press the panic button on the regular flip out remote (not advanced) the horn and flashers go off

Maybe I'm just slow and dumb, sorry! =) It's a stock Mazda6 I sport.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are you locking the doors via the keyfob lock button?

Another way I'd test it out is roll up all your windows, stay inside the car, arm the alarm and open the door. Maybe the system is checking that all the doors are closed and everything is rolled up.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have someone else stay in the car while you lock the car with the remote and walk away. Maybe the car is seeing the remote inside the car.

~Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ah, never thought about that but OP says he has the regular flip out remote and not the advanced one. Unless it too does the same as the advanced.

Ugh so much to learn.

<--- New Mazda owner too :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you locking the doors via the keyfob lock button?

Another way I'd test it out is roll up all your windows, stay inside the car, arm the alarm and open the door. Maybe the system is checking that all the doors are closed and everything is rolled up.

I actually tried that last night, I rolled everything up. stayed inside the car and waited 20+ seconds before trying to open the lock latch and the car inside lights just turn on like it's so happy to welcome you into stealing my car lol, both driver side and passenger side, no effect.

When I do lock the car, the blinkers flash and the horn sounds and the dash board light flashes every 2 seconds like the manual says it should.

I haven't tried locking from the inside car, I just use my keyfob and it's the flip out, not advanced.

I think I should take my car into the dealer...can any of you guys try this on your car though and let me know if your alarm does go off if you lift open the lock latch and open the door from the inside?

Thank You!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have someone else stay in the car while you lock the car with the remote and walk away. Maybe the car is seeing the remote inside the car.

~Mike

Maybe that's it, I will try it tomorrow. I never thought that maybe the car senses that the remote is next to the car so it is ok to open the door. That would be kind of creepy if the car is that smart but I'll try it tomorrow otherwise do you guys suggest that I take it to the dealer? I still have 2 years left on the standard manufacture warranty.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Or if you just recently purchased your car, call up your sales guy/girl and ask him/her if they know.

I'll test it out on mine....once I take delivery of it :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Another thought . . . I know my Hondas wouldn't arm until 60 seconds after the last door / hood / trunk was shut to give you time to go into the trunk or backseat before walking away. Are you waiting long enough after you lock up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thought . . . I know my Hondas wouldn't arm until 60 seconds after the last door / hood / trunk was shut to give you time to go into the trunk or backseat before walking away. Are you waiting long enough after you lock up?
Well I left the windows down overnight with the car locked and nothing and I would hope the car alarm would go off or what's to stop someone from just getting right in. Maybe you do have to wait 60 seconds or so for it to arm though even though the manual says 20.

I'm just going to call the dealer up this week and talk to service, find out what's up, I don't like that I'm not protected.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you've got a 6I Sport, it doesn't have the intrusion alarm unless it was listed as an extra cost option on your window sticker. Only the Touring Plus and the Grand Touring have the alarm as standard equipment. The flashing light on the dash is the ignition immobilizer warning. The owners manual is no help either as it describes all the options available with a note that it only applies to some cars with the option. It does seem strange though the the lights flash when locking and unlocking. I tested mine a couple of times by rolling down the drivers window and locking it. Then I unlocked it with the remote and waited until the doors automatically relocked themselves. When I reached in through the open window and opened it with the inside door handle the alarm went off. I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You!

It turns out I'm just really dumb guys. I called the dealership today and you are right my friend. Just because the dash board light is flashing doesn't mean that you have a car alarm installed. The flashing light is the engine immobilizer and I guess I don't have a car alarm since I checked the listing and it's not on there.

Thanks for all your help guys and you are right again, the manual is really worthless.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts