Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from Mazda.

It states there is a Special Service Program (like a recall) for early models of the 2009 Mazda 6 with Advance Keyless Entry.

The "Door Handle Request Switch": The rubber button could crack allowing moisture into the switch causing corrosion. It could effect how the whole system works and may even prevent the car from starting.

It says they will replace the rubber portion and the switch if it shows any corrosion.

I just received this letter today, so I haven't gone in yet.

It sounds like it could be a small percentage of vehicles:

2009 Mazda 6 vehicles with Advanced Keyless Entry and built between February 4, 2008 and February 27, 2009.

I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone had similar issues.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It says they will replace the rubber portion and the switch if it shows any corrosion.
Wow, and I just paid to get my passenger handle replaced... :huh:

At least the used car department was kind enough to pay half the bill because I bought my car there only 3 months before the failure.

And it was 568$ CAD for the whole job, including all taxes.

Not sure if it was related, but thanks for the tip. I will ask them what they think of it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, and I just paid to get my passenger handle replaced... :huh:

At least the used car department was kind enough to pay half the bill because I bought my car there only 3 months before the failure.

And it was 568$ CAD for the whole job, including all taxes.

Not sure if it was related, but thanks for the tip. I will ask them what they think of it.
If the dealer sent your VIN into Mazda and your car is part of the SSP you should get a letter. It also included information if you happen to repair the car yourself.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yep, got this yesterday too.
If you've already had it replaced and the dealer made you pay for it, there is a card in the packet for a refund of whatever you had to pay.
I don't see any cracks on mine yet but I'll still be taking it in for the new ones anyway.

~Mike

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I got this yesterday, but i haven't had this problem. If you qualify and already had it repaired, you can request to be reimbursed with your VIN as the qualifier.

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts
Just the '09 model? Any '10 owners get a letter yet?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got mine last week as well, I'm going to take it in and have them replace it this week sometime I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was so relieved to see this letter come in my mail, I bought my 2009 Mazda 6s Touring on New Years Eve this past year and just came across the issue with my passenger door request switch not working and the remote won't unlock all the doors. This letter was a blessing. And it does come with a reimbursement form incase you have had the repair done already. I'm going in tomorrow to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Anybody can scan the letter you received or take a "clean" picture and post it?

Please remove any personal information before posting.

It seams that nobody from Canada received the letter yet...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
i took my car to the dealership today to get my airbag light checked. and i noticed the service guy looking at my door handle to see if the button was cracked lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yep, just got my letter over the weekend. No cracks or malfunctions at all but I'll def have it done at my next oil change.

I agree with others who have said, get it done even if nothing is wrong.

Looks like it's a straight forward job from the outside. Does anyone think the interior door panels would have to be removed for any reason? I hate when interior trims pieces are touched. It always seems to introduce rattles.

I got the letter for my 09. My buttons appear to be fine. I don't even use that function anyways...:mellow:
I'm surprised you don't use the request button but maybe it's the way yours is programmed. I have mine programmed to open all the doors. When I have passengers, tapping the button will open all 4 doors. It really is convenient.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here are the contents of the envelope.
It also comes with a change of address form to mail to the current owner in case you sold the car to someone.

~Mike
Well, I talked with my dealer this morning and they told me that this recall is only for USA right now and not Canada...

I also learned that Mazda replaced the front left handle on my car in 2010 as part of a recall. They replaced the front right one a few days ago so I assume no more problems for me... I will keep my receipts in case I'm able to get a refund in the future for the handle I replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received a letter from Mazda.

It states there is a Special Service Program (like a recall) for early models of the 2009 Mazda 6 with Advance Keyless Entry.

The "Door Handle Request Switch": The rubber button could crack allowing moisture into the switch causing corrosion. It could effect how the whole system works and may even prevent the car from starting.

I just received this letter today, so I haven't gone in yet.

It sounds like it could be a small percentage of vehicles:

2009 Mazda 6 vehicles with Advanced Keyless Entry and built between February 4, 2008 and February 27, 2009.

I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone had similar issues.

Hi
I've been having a problem with my 6 sport, warning lights going crazy, not opening, alarm sounding etc etc. Mazda dealer told me (after £490+) it might be my passenger door handle, leaking moisture as the rubber was cracked. To repair would cost another £300+???
I already replaced the boot keyless button as it cracked and was opening spontaneously, however my car was a few months out of warranty.
I'm not a bit happy hearing that this is a widespread problem and Mazda are not recalling UK models. I had to abandon my car today at my daughters school as we could not open it when I was collecting her.
If possible would someone be able to email me a copy of the letter sent out by Mazda in North America as I have opened a case with Mazda UK and if I do not receive any satisfaction I will be seekin legal advise.
I would expect a car of £21000+ to last a bit longer than 3 1/2 years
I will provide email is someone can help me
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi
I've been having a problem with my 6 sport, warning lights going crazy, not opening, alarm sounding etc etc. Mazda dealer told me (after £490+) it might be my passenger door handle, leaking moisture as the rubber was cracked. To repair would cost another £300+???
I already replaced the boot keyless button as it cracked and was opening spontaneously, however my car was a few months out of warranty.
I'm not a bit happy hearing that this is a widespread problem and Mazda are not recalling UK models. I had to abandon my car today at my daughters school as we could not open it when I was collecting her.
If possible would someone be able to email me a copy of the letter sent out by Mazda in North America as I have opened a case with Mazda UK and if I do not receive any satisfaction I will be seekin legal advise.
Thanks in advance
BTW... You should still be able to use the key(slide out of transponder) to open the doors and start the car even during a failure of the keyless system.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks in advance
Go back about 5 posts. Michael posted images of the letter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like it's a straight forward job from the outside. Does anyone think the interior door panels would have to be removed for any reason? I hate when interior trims pieces are touched. It always seems to introduce rattles.
I agree with interior trim work introducing rattles. Can anyone confirm this is fixed from the outside?

*UPDATE* I just called Mazda and they said they will have to go in through the door. The guy on the phone estimated about a 2/3 of a day job to get them fixed. Went ahead and scheduled because rattles or not, I'd rather have my car 100% working.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts