Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, i need some help with my replacement of the factory DRL bulbs on my 2009 mazda 6. I bought LED bulbs on amazon so i could swap them with the factory ones so i could have that nice led look during the daytime. here is the link to the ones i bought on amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Here is the problem: when both LED bulbs are installed, neither of them turn on during the day driving around. They do work when I use the highbeams ( for my car the DRL and high beams are the same bulb apparently).

What's weird is that when I put one of the factory bulbs back in, the other LED will start working. Here are some pictures to help explain my situation.
IMG_20141021_150033222.jpg

IMG_20141021_162306.jpg

IMG_20141021_162317.jpg

in the front view of the car you can see the led is working on the right (drivers side) and i have the factory bulb installed on the left(passenger) side. again if i put both leds in neither of them work!!

This is what i've tried to solve this :

- bought a completely different brand of H11 12V LEDS, same problem.
-Measured the voltage output from the wiring harness from both sides (both above 12 V)

Please help thank you!

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a wiring harness. At the DRL reduced power the LED's will not turn on. If you add a harness then you can run them at full power.
great! thanks for the reply. could you direct me where to purchase a wiring harness or what this might look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If at all possible, can you provide more details on the type of harness please, I'm having the same issue (in Canada).
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
No, cause i have no clue what harness the guy bought either. I was just pointing out that he prob wont get a response.
True however someone else might be able to chime in and help with the issue.

The dude has 5 posts. This is supposed to be a forum for people to come and ask questions, share ideas, and enjoy being in a car community together. Post such as many of yours come across as assish and doesn't look good for the community. I already feel that this is a dying community so instead of comments such as yours that seem like they are downing people for asking questions, we should be more helpful and understanding.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If at all possible, can you provide more details on the type of harness please, I'm having the same issue (in Canada).
Thanks in advance.
No need to start your own thread for an issue that others may have.

I thought about it for a little bit and I may have a cheap solution for you depending on how the headlights/drls work. Sorry for the crude drawing but it it's fine.

20191107_173239.jpg

This is if the DRL side of things are on the + side of things. What you would need is a relay harness and 2-4 1N4007 diodes. This would involve cutting the + wire to the high beams.

• from the high + input, you need to add the signal wire to the relay as well as a diode with the flow towards the light.
• from the relay output, add a diode with the flow towards the light.
• take both diodes ends and put them to the cut wire on the light.
• relay 12v and ground to battery.

This should take the low voltage that the car is sending to the high beams to be drl and turn it to full 12v to run the LEDs.

However, this will make it like the highs are on at all times even when you turn the lights on if the drls stay on with low beams. This may be an issue and hopefully someone has some more input to remedy this. A cheap pwm may be needed now that I think about it.

Now, if it's on the ground side of things (I'm not sure why it would but who knows) I'll have to think of something different.

Does anyone see any reason why this shouldn't work?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I already feel that this is a dying community ...
Is it because of Facebook? I don't have an account and I'm not interested to have one, except that my wife has one so I just "share" with her.

I learned about 6crew and everytime I visit the site, I don't see any activity. I thought I needed to be a member so I joined. Still, I don't see any activity over there. I have concluded that the site is "dead".

Fortunately, this site is active. I'm happy to see a lot of helpful members here.

Sorry, I'm off topic which is always the case.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is it because of Facebook? I don't have an account and I'm not interested to have one, except that my wife has one so I just "share" with her.

I learned about 6crew and everytime I visit the site, I don't see any activity. I thought I needed to be a member so I joined. Still, I don't see any activity over there. I have concluded that the site is "dead".

Fortunately, this site is active. I'm happy to see a lot of helpful members here.

Sorry, I'm off topic which is always the case.
I guess dying would be the wrong word. It's what came out in the heat of the moment.

I should have said that the 6 has a small cult following compared to many other makes and models ( camaro, BMW, eclipse, etc ) and the amount of post that we see here, we should want to be helpful even if it's kicking around ideas or "in my experience".

The more helpful we are (and kind), more people would be interested in posting and wanting to be active. Yes we have a small group that post but we could almost count on our fingers and toes the regulars.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not really.
Yeah I don't see why not either.

Do you know if the 2nd gen drls turn off with the low beams by chance? If they don't then I think it would be a good idea to run a pwm on the relay out before the diode. This way it still gets full 12v but the pwm will turn it on and off at such a rate that it gives it a dimming effect. One could maybe run it at 50% duty cycle vs full on.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yeah I don't see why not either.

Do you know if the 2nd gen drls turn off with the low beams by chance? If they don't then I think it would be a good idea to run a pwm on the relay out before the diode. This way it still gets full 12v but the pwm will turn it on and off at such a rate that it gives it a dimming effect. One could maybe run it at 50% duty cycle vs full on.
I have no clue about 2G's which is part of why my answer was short before.

·
Administrator
8,407 Posts
Yea, but forum etiquette is that you dont bump years old threads, however, i changed my response to be more "helpful".
And people wonder why we have too many threads around here...

"Forum etiquette" is nothing of the sort. We promote (and in fact, encourage) old threads to be "bumped", because 90% of them already have some excellent information included in them, and they can also, in fact, answer any questions a newbie may have.
No need to start your own thread for an issue that others may have.
This.

Some say it's already crowded on here. We don't need (or want) 87 different threads on the same exact issue.

·
Registered
726 Posts

"Forum etiquette" is nothing of the sort. We promote (and in fact, encourage) old threads to be "bumped", because 90% of them already have some excellent information included in them, and they can also, in fact, answer any questions a newbie may have.

Some say it's already crowded on here. We don't need (or want) 87 different threads on the same exact issue.
I was about to ask about "forum etiquette". I think and feel there is, but I'm not sure. Just like some unspoken social nuances that everybody should know but nobody cares knowing it.

So, do we have some "forum etiquette"? This is an honest inquiry.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

This.

I didnt mean THIS forum, i meant in general. Its been a "thing" for a couple decades. While i see the possible value in necroing a thread, most of the time the subject matter at hand is no longer relevant due to technological changes, or obsolescence. Maybe not so much on THIS forum, but it does happen.

87 threads on the same subject wont happen, keeping a long time thread going like the "what did you do today" isnt necroing. Regardless, my only point was to point out that the OP probably wouldnt be back to answer the question and since no one else had the problem or didnt post a solution probably wouldnt get the attention needed. In THIS paticular thread, theres zero info on the fix, so the OP would HAVE to reply, and the obviously pointed question wouldnt get an answer if the OP didnt come back.

Here are some examples of this being "etiquette"

Anywho, the above is why a lot of my answers are short and seem "curt" when im just being direct after years and years on forums and being Admin on many over the years. Sorry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts