Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a complete idiot and accidentally threw away my keys to my 2009 Mazda 6 iSport on Sunday night. Sadly, I didn't have a back up key.

Had the keys remade today but as soon as the locksmith put the key into the door, it immediately locked all doors and the key would not unlock the drivers door.
Luckily, he is a lock smith and did get the passenger side door open to hit the button to unlock the back doors. The key he made and programmed starts my car, and the unlock/lock interior button works on all 4 doors of the car, but the drivers side door won't come open even though it shows that it's unlocked. Side Note: No more key fob, so I can't even attempt to unlock the drivers door that way.

I'm assuming the anti theft system went haywire and completely locked up my drivers side door, maybe even deadlocked it and I can't get the door to budge. This may be because it's a new key, and I don't have a programmed key fob anymore.

Locksmith stayed for almost two hours trying to unlock that drivers door and had no idea what had happened. He said it seemed like a faulty lock system throughout the car. However, I just think it's weird how I didn't have a single problem until I got the new key.

I guess for now, i'm going to be dukes of hazarding my ass from the passenger side to the driver side just to get to places, which isn't convenient or stylish at all.

Any idea how the hell to get it to unlock without paying tons of money at an auto repair place? Also can't really have my car off my hands for a few days as it's my only one. Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can't unlock the door using the key in the keyhole in the driver's door? That sounds like a mechanical problem. Most cars have a rod connecting the key mechanism to the lock. The rod might be jammed or fallen off. Did the locksmith remove the interior door panel for a look inside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't unlock the door using the key in the keyhole in the driver's door? That sounds like a mechanical problem. Most cars have a rod connecting the key mechanism to the lock. The rod might be jammed or fallen off. Did the locksmith remove the interior door panel for a look inside?
Nope. My door was fine with my previous key. My guess is that the key that I got remade made the security system go crazy, because Mazdas have a VAT system that responds to the chip in the key. I was doing some research and figured out that when a key that may not have that responder in it, will make anti theft go on full lock down. I think it made the entire locking mechanism do an anti theft lock. However, doesn't that mean my car wouldn't start? :unsure: Car still starts and runs fine with that key.

My second guess is that rod being out of place, but am I just so unlucky that my door completely broke as soon as that locksmith slid in that new key? The new key is turnable and I can hear it actively attempting to unlock all of my doors, but will only lock them, not unlock them. (My car has a weird mechanism to were all doors unlock when I unlock my drivers side)

However, I found an old key fob to my car (without the Aux key) and I'm going to attempt to unlock the door that way today, if it will even let me. Hope it's not dead by now. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nope. My door was fine with my previous key. My guess is that the key that I got remade made the security system go crazy, because Mazdas have a VAT system that responds to the chip in the key. I was doing some research and figured out that when a key that may not have that responder in it, will make anti theft go on full lock down. I think it made the entire locking mechanism do an anti theft lock. However, doesn't that mean my car wouldn't start? :unsure: Car still starts and runs fine with that key.

My second guess is that rod being out of place, but am I just so unlucky that my door completely broke as soon as that locksmith slid in that new key? The new key is turnable and I can hear it actively attempting to unlock all of my doors, but will only lock them, not unlock them. (My car has a weird mechanism to were all doors unlock when I unlock my drivers side)

However, I found an old key fob to my car (without the Aux key) and I'm going to attempt to unlock the door that way today, if it will even let me. Hope it's not dead by now. Wish me luck!
Do you have your owners manual? There are "key-turns" that are capable of lock-all, open-all and open sunroof similar to the remote's button presses that can do the same functions. I don't use them so I don't recall how to do them but they're in the manual.

As far as the rod disconnecting being a coincidence, don't rule it out. I have experienced it in more than one car (but not the 6). My wife has a habit of pulling the door handle before or simultaneously with me remote unlocking all the doors. That has been a magic combination resulting in me having to remove the door panel to reconnect the rod. Typically a broken plastic clip. If a manual mechanical action (key, door handle, interior lock flipper) happened at the same time as the solenoid was trying to actuate, things can get wonky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts