Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OEM Michelins were balding by 30,000 miles and I've been debating on new tires. I finally decided to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (215/55R17) after reading Tire Rack reviews and comparing specs. The Bridgestone Serenity and BFG Advantage TA were all considered. With my 40 mile round trip commute every day I wanted something with at a high tread wear rating but I didn't want something hard that would sacrifice performance. All three of these tires had higher tread wear ratings and ranked high in dry grip, wet grip, and comfort tho snow traction was marginal.

The Contis are categorized by Tire Rack as high performance all seasons with light snow traction. They were the least expensive ($545 shipped), the lightest (by 5 lbs each), and to boot, if you buy 4 you get a free Tom Tom GPS thru August. :)

I had them installed this week. Since put about 90 miles on them.
The guys at my garage (2M Autoworks, Raleigh) are awesome. They told me that balancing the tires was a little trickier than usual. They had to remount each tire at least twice. One wheel 3x. Shifting their position on the wheel for optimal balance. Each wheel only needed 1 or 2 oz to balance when he finished. The asymmetrical tread is mounted such that the chunky blocks and full circumference strips of tread are on the outside. A criss-cross pattern is mounted towards the inside.

My alignment was off - especially the rear. It must be the way I drive. My Accord's rear alignment was always way off, too. :confused:

Initial impressions: I like them. They're very quiet. The 6 is quiet at speed but I could tell the Michelins were rawring their typical low tread song. (In my last Accord with Honda's typical lack of sound deadening, highway driving was almost deafening.) Of course the extra tread has cushioned the ride. They'll need some time to break in before I can really push them but in some moderate cornering the sidewalls don't seem to roll over on themselves. Between the alignment and new rubber, the steering feels great. So far, there's been no pulling. The car tracks straight on the highway at 80mph and on back roads at 45mph.

With my daily commute, I'll rack up the miles in no time. I'm anxious to see how they perform when I push them harder as well as in the rain. Initially they seem to be a good match for the 6i GT.
:seeya:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Dude, you are going to LOVE the Contis. Put mine on in March and have been grinning from ear to ear ever since. Ran them HARD at Deal's Gap in July, and they just never gave up. Excellent choice, sir.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts