Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the idea for this from reading the comparo between the Speed 6 and the Acura TL-S posted by another member. I thought it might help those who are hesitating between both models. Take note that this is not the new version of the Accord.

Here is a quick rundown of both models in my driveway.

2008 Mazda 6 sport. Engine: 2.3L L4 DOCH [email protected], [email protected], 5 speed Manual, trim: Grand Touring.
2007 Honda Accord. Engine: 2.4L L4 DOCH [email protected], [email protected], 5 speed automatic, trim: SE

Handling/Driveability: Winner Mazda 6

While the Accord reminds you everyday of its size, the 6 feels like it is much smaller. Parking in the 6 is effortless. The Accord usually forces you to back up and do it again. Steering feel in the Mazda 6 is taut and sporty and really connects you to the road. Taking corners is the easiest thing in the world, and you never feel as if you are reaching the car's limits. The Accord, while fine is normal driving, does not inspire as much cornering confidence. The driver feels much more disconnected from the road. The Honda's 16 inch alloys and rather poor tires might have something to do with this. The 6 on the other hand, with its 17 inch wheels and larger tires, makes for a great time in twisties. Finally, steering is much more direct in the 6.
Bottom line: if you like to take a tight apex on the on-ramp during your daily commute, buy the 6. If you don't know what I just said, the Accord will be fine.

Comfort: Winner Honda Accord

The Honda does not win by much, but it wins in this category. The car was meant for long hauls on the highway. Suspension is much more complient over road imperfections (and I live in Quebec, where we have some of the worst roads in North America). The accord feels very stable and there is barely any noise in the cabin. The seats are cushioned to the point of a lexus and you never hit your passenger's elbow. Same for the back, where kids never complain. Interior build quality in the Accord is near perfect, and the cloth on the seats looks classy. My Mazda 6 is better equiped than our Accord. The 6 has leather trim everywhere inside, heated seats, Auto climate, auto dim mirror etc. etc. but still does not match the Accord in comfort. Don't get me wrong, interior noise is never unpleasant and the car can still be driven for long periods of time without causing fatigue. But still, the seats are not as soft (although they do offer better lateral support) and it is not quite as roomy.
Bottom line: The 6 is more comfortable that my previous car, a 2007 Civic Si, but it does not quite catch the Accord.

Performance: Winner Mazda 6

The mazda was made to be driven. Then engine responds quickly, with only slight hesitation, which is much more present in the Honda and pulls much longer than the Accord. The Mazda is better at passing on the highway, as it will respond faster to the demands of the driver. The accord, once at cruizing speed does not like to be disturbed. Of course, this may have a lot to do with the fact that my 6 has a manual transmission as opposed to the Accord's autostick. Speaking of which, the 5 speed manual on the Mazda 6 is a little sticky during quick shifts, but clutch action is easy and satisfying. It feels dynamic. As for the Accord's automatic, not much to say except that it works well and allows itself to be forgotten. It is my opinion however that any automatic really takes a lot of the fun out of driving but oh well, if you like automatics, the Accord's is a good one. It will not take kindly to being pushed around though.

Bottom line: although accelaration numbers are practically the same, the Mazda and its engine feel more powerful and are a lot more fun to use when passing or simply having fun on a moutain road.

Safety: Tie

This is a hard topic to discuss, as both cars are basically equiped with the same safety features. I guess we won't know which one is trully safest until 2 people driving an Accord and a 6 crash into each other. But seriously, I do not think one car has a definite advantage over the other. The only thing the 6 has over the Accord is the TCS. However, I for one rarely put myself in a position where I need the TCS to save me, so I can't say it has a huge advantage.
Bottom line, both cars are safe period. Both neither car defies physics of faith.

Comparo bottom line:

Buy the Mazda 6 if:
-you like to drive, I mean really drive.
-you like cars with aggresive styling and looks
-you like to have a lot of luggage space (6 sport)
-you don't mind paying for gas a lot during the month

Buy the Accord if:
-you like to think about the stock market while going to work
-you like to feel as if you are in your living room while driving
-you like to have a lot of room inside the car
-you hate getting 3 to 4 miles less per gallon than other cars in this category.

·
Banned
331 Posts
Bottom line- Go against da Norm, Be different, Be Hot, Get a 6....lol i have an 2007 Mazda6i SVE 2.3 5-Speed Dualmode ATX......n Lovin It....The way da car handles is crazzy....the best car ive had to date.. the positves more than make up for da minor negatives. plus our Mazdas have a look that no other car has n its hot. everyone got an accord or camry. I like my car stylin bettter than both. Only da select few can posses a 6...lol Choose Wisely :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
funny i have the opposite experience with parking. The 6 has horrendous turning radius, which means i often needed to back once before i can park.

The road noise on my accord is higher than the 6, though. While the difference on highway is smaller, on regular road my 6 s definitely beat the accord in terms of comfort and quietness.

·
Banned
331 Posts
yeah, that is the only drawback, thats the turning radius on our cars. it does suck but handling in other areas more than make up for it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
why get an I when you can get an S for almost the same price... the I is a slug when not modded. Its a fat kid. a beautiful fat kid.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
The road noise on my accord is higher than the 6, though. While the difference on highway is smaller, on regular road my 6 s definitely beat the accord in terms of comfort and quietness.[/b]
Interesting... The Accord my wife and I test-drove this past summer seemed to be on par, if not slightly quieter, than my 6. It was also more comfortable to both of us, but at the expense of both road feel and handling, which is a trade-off I'd never make.

·
Registered
481 Posts
why get an I when you can get an S for almost the same price... the I is a slug when not modded. Its a fat kid. a beautiful fat kid.[/b]
If I remember right the 6 cyl was close to 2,000 more but I'm probably off

I would wait for the new 6 (if you like how it looks) to get a 6 cyl
I don't mind MPG that much but dam the 6cyl really eats gas for the horsepower it puts out

Imo the 6 isn't that fast of a car off the line.. looks good and corners well.. you lose a little bit of handling when going 6cyl which IMO takes away from the cars main strength and in return gives a sub par 6cyl.

Personally I don't care about losing a little handling or my car wouldn't have the wheels or sub in the back, the big turn off for me was the MPG/HP

If I had to buy my car again I would go 6i or speed 6
Nothing against 6cyl and its definitely faster then what I got, just offering different points of view.

·
Registered
169 Posts
good review. I just test drove a 2008 Accord and a 2008 6i. The accord is huge! Its also slow and handles like a truck. If interior room is important to you, dont get the 6, but if you dont mind your seating area on the snug side, the 6 is much more fun to drive due to its great handling. The ride is firm, but thats the trade off for slot car handling.

Also test drove a used 6s. The car is a lot more powerful and smooth than the 4 cyl 6i, but when compared to the competitions v6's, and an 05' altima v6 i used to own, its a real slug. The 6i's engine is closer to the competitions 4 bangers, the 6s 6 banger is far behind.

also 6s is at least $3,000 more than 6i from what i remember. with gas prices the way they are, the 4 banger just makes more sense, but if you arent on a tight budget, and like power, dont even drive the 6i, go straight for the 6s.

also, mazda have $2000 cash back on the 6 this month, so you wont get an accord for near the same price

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
why get an I when you can get an S for almost the same price... the I is a slug when not modded. Its a fat kid. a beautiful fat kid.[/b]
At the same trim level the S is about $3000 more than the I. At the same price, a loaded I would just get a base S. Depends on whether you want luxury or power.

·
Registered
169 Posts
for price comparison purposes, you have to compare the same model trim. your pricing how much more expensive the 6 is vs, the 4, nothing else.

of course a loaded i could be had for a bugdet s, but those people on a tight budget arnt going to be buying a loaded i in the first place. if thats thier price point, then yes, it could come to luxery vs performance, niether of which the 6 excels at no matter what trim or engine it comes in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
rockman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing