Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2008 BMW 335i with steptronic transmission.
While there are many good aspects about the car i.e. external + internal design, touch and feel, style - the steering direction and feel was no better than the 2003 Mazda6 MT(with 234x45x18" tires) that I drove in to the dealership.
That is a saying a lot.

Additionally, even with the 300hp twin turbo motor, it did not feel that powerful or responsive. I'd blame it on the automatic transmission.
My 3.0L MT felt much more responsive.

That's it for now....I had to let loyal Mazda owners know the truth I experienced:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
really? i was thinking to get a 335i coupe for my next car after my 06 6s AT
ummmm i guess my second car is going to be A5 then lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
my wife has a 06 325i sport, it handles great, but it is otherwise cramped and under powered. The interior is terrible--she only has 37K on it and the trim is flaking off the drivers side arm rest, the driver side side bolster is fraying and there is a hole in the carpet on the transmission tunnel. I've never seen a "luxury" car wear like this.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my wife has a 06 325i sport, it handles great, but it is otherwise cramped and under powered. The interior is terrible--she only has 37K on it and the trim is flaking off the drivers side arm rest, the driver side side bolster is fraying and there is a hole in the carpet on the transmission tunnel. I've never seen a "luxury" car wear like this.
Ha ha ...the trim on the 2008 335i was also flaking off....and it only had 18k miles on it...not on my 7 year old mazda6. My leather seats look like they are 2 years old.

The other day I was at discount tires and he asked me what year model. I replied 2003 and he was like WTF.....this car looks 1 year old only.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

I was doing an install in an X5 a couple of weeks ago and the stoplight switch fell apart. I don't even think I touched it and it fell apart. Had to buy her a new switch.

I noticed similar premature wear problems in the interior as you described. The headlight switch was all worn, ugly, and wouldn't stay on properly.

It had 76,000 miles. Just 76K.

I normally like BMW more than other German cars. The wiring is suprisingly normal compared to the other German marques. But they can phone it in on interiors on some models.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There had to have been something wrong with that car, or they have dramatically changed it in the last 2 years. I drove a 2010 328i (or maybe it was a 2011) a few months ago, and the steering was much much tighter than my 6. It did feel like it didn't have enough power, though. Definitely a lot more power than my 2.3L i4, but it didn't feel powerful enough for that particular car. The 335 is a lot better, I'm sure.

All in all, I loved driving the thing. I've always loved BMWs, though, and I hope to buy one after the 6's time is up.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another test drive.
This time a friend wanted to look at 328i sport pkg coupe.
Nice interior.
But awful when it came to the automatic transmission. Made the car sluggish as hell. Not at all rev happy. Turned him and me off completely about what BMW is all about. He ended up with a G37s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 2007 335xi, interior is flawless (tan) manual 6 speed, pulls harder stock then my heavily modded speed 6, handles better than the ms6, and is more reliable than the ms6. my $.02

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2007 335xi, interior is flawless (tan) manual 6 speed, pulls harder stock then my heavily modded speed 6, handles better than the ms6, and is more reliable than the ms6. my $.02
I too had a 2007 335i coupe 6mt that I recently traded in for the 2010 mazda6 due to the expecting of a 2nd baby. Needed a 4 door family car. Definitely handles amazing, solid built, (weighs more than the 4 door ms6) and quite fast and responsive. As far as reliability, i'm not sure if its is more reliable than the 6, especially with the HPFP failure rate. One of the reason for my trading it in, loved he car, still miss it, but couldn't take the chance of having the car stall on me with an infant in it. So opt for a decent size and priced family car for wife to drive the kids around. Also gives me an excuse to go for the 328i vert next.:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
2010 ms6? not sure what your talking about, and saying the 6 is more reliable then a bmw is a joke :) sorry man

·
Registered
7 Posts
2010 ms6? not sure what your talking about, and saying the 6 is more reliable then a bmw is a joke :) sorry man

Sorry, meant 2010 Mazda 6 and i wouldn't say more reliable than bmw, but definitely the 335i. 328i would be more for reliabilty where as the 335i is pure performance and exhilaration. . BMW is a great car, especially the 335i- i would definitely go for it again if it wasn't for the hpfp issue.:( Have you had any hpfp replacement yet? I had 17k miles on mine and have not had that issue, but it is a widespread problem and i just couldn't take the risk with a newborn on the way. Trust me, I loved the 335i and i'm not knocking it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry, meant 2010 Mazda 6 and i wouldn't say more reliable than bmw, but definitely the 335i. 328i would be more for reliabilty where as the 335i is pure performance and exhilaration. . BMW is a great car, especially the 335i- i would definitely go for it again if it wasn't for the hpfp issue.:( Have you had any hpfp replacement yet? I had 17k miles on mine and have not had that issue, but it is a widespread problem and i just couldn't take the risk with a newborn on the way. Trust me, I loved the 335i and i'm not knocking it.

Great response. The new 2010 mazda 6 is very reliable i am sure. my 07 335 xi has 45k miles on it and not one problem (cross my fingers). And you are the first person to bring up any thing about the hpfp in these cars, so ill keep a look out for it. thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
congratz on the new 6 by the way! hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great response. The new 2010 mazda 6 is very reliable i am sure. my 07 335 xi has 45k miles on it and not one problem (cross my fingers). And you are the first person to bring up any thing about the hpfp in these cars, so ill keep a look out for it. thanks!

HPFP failure FAQ! - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Not sure if you're familiar with this forum, interesting site for 335 enthusiast. Lots of info on 335i here. Check it out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts