Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mazda6 3.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to upgrade my exhaust, looking for a cat back system but I can’t anywhere. Does anyone know where I can buy a cat back for my car and if not, will a 2006 cat back system fit my car?

·
Rally Racer
2,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
  • Injen system from a user here.
  • Magnaflow here and cheaper here.
  • A'PEXi WS2 catback here
All the exhaust parts from the central single resonator (pre-silencer AJ3640300) back are the same from 2003-2008 for the v6.

If you even have those questions about compatability just go to an OEM parts lookup like jimellismazdaparts and look up both years in question then compare the pat numbers. It usually works but there are times that different part numbers will also interchange (like PCV hoses/valves for example).

·
Registered
576 Posts
What are you trying to achieve, looks, sound and/or performance?
If performance, IMO, you would get extra benefit by replacing this portion with a less restrictive one. Cat back systems don't seem to include it.
The one on my vehicle is not even round, as if it was flattened to improve ground clearance.

Part Number: AJ4840500D

·
Registered
2008 Mazda6 3.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m trying to get both, better sound and performance. I was going to start from back to front with the exhaust modification and kinda weigh out my options. And thank you for welcoming me. I’ve had my 6 for a little over two years now and learned in the past few months how much I love turning wrenches. This forum has been of huge help in the past so I figured I should get on it. (Photos coming soon)

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is exactly what I mean.

Now, I have a very hard time finding traction when I do WOT runs on my 6, I get wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear, I can even get the wheels spinning on 1st gear all the way to 6k rpm without trying too hard. So, I do not see how you would benefit from performance upgrades (from a stand still) unless you do other mods to suspension and maybe tires.

·
Rally Racer
2,657 Posts
That is exactly what I mean.

Now, I have a very hard time finding traction when I do WOT runs on my 6, I get wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear, I can even get the wheels spinning on 1st gear all the way to 6k rpm without trying too hard. So, I do not see how you would benefit from performance upgrades (from a stand still) unless you do other mods to suspension and maybe tires.
I even get this with the ATX (well 1st gear anyhow)
Personally my only interest would be a 50-70 mph improvement.
How about an LSD? Something like a Quaife, PhantomGrip or even this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I even get this with the ATX (well 1st gear anyhow)
Personally my only interest would be a 50-70 mph improvement.
How about an LSD? Something like a Quaife or even this.
Didn't even know they made those for the 6, cool !
But not for me, as you know my 6 is a 3rd car (which I am currently driving and enjoying every minute) and rather put any performance money on my SHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts