Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ford Fusion with the cartridge filter, and have read numerous older posts on several forums about converting to a spin on filter.
It is my understanding that many of these conversions used "donor" housings from 2.0L vehicles, or perhaps 2.3L Ranger pickups.

The reason I am asking is not because of simpler oil changes or less mess, but rather because the previous car owner's oil changes have left the plastic cap
almost impossible to get on and off due to the wrong tool being used on it. So I am at a cross roads - either buy a new plastic cap and the correct tool, or buy a spin on housing and don't worry about it ever again.

It is also quite evident that there are some people that say this conversion should NOT be performed because it will destroy your engine because it is not "factory" installed and engineered, while others have done the conversion and seem very satisfied with the results.

What I am trying to do is wade through all the confusion and get answers to these questions:
Can I order a housing for a 2.0L engine, bolt it up to my 2.3L engine?
Can I do this and not cause catrostrophic damage?

I have looked at my local salvage yards - nothing there.
I have looked at possible part numbers as being:
BS4Z6881F around $30 on Ebay
L301-14-310 $??
L301-14-311 Around $45 on Ebay
1F20-14-310B or D around $60 on ebay
W0133-2764153 $??

If any of you Madza experts can clear up this muddy mess for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

thanks in advance!
440_man

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DrFeelGood,
Thanks for the reply -

So no problem bolting on a Mazda part from a 2.0L onto a "Ford" 2.3L? Same exact engine as far as the oil mounting goes? No oiling system self destruction from changing filter types? If these two motors have bolt on compatibility as far as the oiling system goes, and the Mazda and "Ford" engines are the same, then a 2.0L Focus would be a good donor as well? What year range am I looking for?

I really would like to do this conversion, but it would be great to hear some of the "good reports" before doing so.
Its important to do your homework when making engine mods...

thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is very little difference across the years; to the point that the 2016 Fusion 2.5 uses the same gasket for the (spin on) filter adapter as my 2003 Mazda 6 which is cartridge equipped.

The spin-on filter adapter will use the standard 3/4x16 stud, so you have a wide variety of filters to choose from; ranging in capacity from 1/4 qt of oil to 1 qt, you are only limited by clearance. If space allows you could even try the Mobil M1-301A or a Ford FL-1A

·
Rally Racer
2,265 Posts
DrFeelGood,
Thanks for the reply -
No Problem
So no problem bolting on a Mazda part from a 2.0L onto a "Ford" 2.3L?
Not as long as they fit.
Same exact engine as far as the oil mounting goes?
Cant say "exact" but everything indicates it should fit.
No oiling system self destruction from changing filter types?
Can't guarantee this
If these two motors have bolt on compatibility as far as the oiling system goes, and the Mazda and "Ford" engines are the same, then a 2.0L Focus would be a good donor as well?
Can't say for sure about everything but the oil filter conversion appear to fit. I would treat it on a part by part basis until you know for sure.
What year range am I looking for?
I would say any Mazda3i with the 2.0L that uses a LF10-14-302 filter
I really would like to do this conversion, but it would be great to hear some of the "good reports" before doing so.
Its important to do your homework when making engine mods...

thanks!
I would just do it. The parts will run you $25 ($35 with Mobil1 filter, gasket and housing). Take your old one off and hold it up to the new one. If they look the same, then clean everything up and bolt it on.
(y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did this conversion on my 2006 Mazda 6 2.3L
Ford oil filter adapter: BS4Z6881F $21 Ebay or $16 online Fords parts dealerships
Gasket: 1S7Z-6840-AA $2 online or around $4 at local auto parts store. FEL-PRO 72949 is equivalent

The oil flow on both cartridge and spin-on is the same. Oil enters the outside of the filter and returns through the center of the filter. Oil pressure sender is on the filter output.
I used teflon tape on the original sender. It's a pipe thread of some sort.

Overall height is about the same as the cartridge filter using the Champ brand filter I had on had. I have other cars that use this same filter so I know I'll always have a filter on hand. This particular Champ brand filter - I don't think it's made anymore. Local auto parts store sold me a case for $1 each. This is the last one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information! Did you by chance, compare the passages on the old housing to the passages on the new housing? Everything looks the same? I wondered if one or the other or both maybe had a pressure relief valve built into the housing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The passages lead to the same areas - outside of filter, inside of filter. No pressure relief in the spin on adapter. But it would make sense there would be one in the cartridge filter. Will take a look when I get a chance.

The spin on filters typically have a pressure relief bypass built in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The black plastic cap of the cartridge housing is spring loaded. The spring presses the oil filter cartridge into place when you screw it onto the aluminum adapter. I can't tell, but it's possible there is a pressure relief valve in the spring loaded assembly built into the black screw cap.
After driving the car yesterday, today I took the plastic splash shield off to take a look at the work I had done. No leaks. All looks good. I used the fel-pro gasket. I was going to re-use the original metal gasket. I re-used this type of metal gasket in the past with no problems. I always use a very thin coating of permatex grey sealant. But this time I did not have the required 24 hours(permatex instructions) to wait before use. So I ran to the local auto parts store and got the fel-pro gasket.

The oil pressure sender does not need to be overly tightened. It's a pipe thread. An interference fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts