Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Its been a few weeks since I have updated, but things have progressed!

Prior to the PNW meet, I wanted to get a few things in order. I worked on getting the rear ride height adjusted. I ordered the BC racing rear springs, but then realized that I also required the BC rear adjusters. The Fortune auto springs have a larger opening on the top to accommodate their larger & heavier duty adjuster. The BC springs have a slightly smaller opening so the FA adjusters will not fit without grinding on the BC springs...I wasnt too keen on that, but I might reconsider later. The issue becomes the BC adjuster is ALSO shorter than the fortune auto one.....so what that means is it basically negates most of the increased spring rate of the BC spring in terms of ride height. I'm slightly higher, but I hoped for a bit more adjustment...I'm at max again. I might revisit it later by using the polyurethane spacers suggest by DrFeelsGood or modify the BC Spring to accept the FA adjuster. I do like the heavier rate springs better though.

Other things done.....

- Windows Tinted 25%, 20% on hatch window
- Back up camera installed
- I installed a RX-8 steeling wheel for the meet, but removed it for some testing. I will reinstall it once I figure out a way to make the paddles AND illumination work
- Been battling a RICH condition CEL that comes and goes. P2097, which is code for Post Cat O2 rich condition on bank 1. I swapped the post-cat O2 sensor prior to the meet and replaced all the o-rings on the injectors for good measure in hopes to cure it. It didn't come back on that trip, but the following week it popped on after a 30~35 min cruise and then the cel turned off after a couple restarts. So it appears to be intermittent. This past weekend I swapped out the injectors to see if maybe I had an injector going out. Occasionally I will have U0100 & U1900 codes as well...not sure if they are related to the P2097 code, but both are can comm loss issues.
- Tried diagnosing why the steering audio controls doesn't work with the head unit, seems like the ASWC-1 I bought is a dud...doesn't light up like the instructions say.
- Located the A/C leak and recharged the system. It seems like I installed an o-ring that was too small for one of the lines and caused a leak. Holding a charge for now.
- Installed a Injen SP6072 CAI.
- Installed Morimoto retro-quick HID kit w/ new lenses in Mazdaspeed headlights.

Otherwise everything has been kosher. I plan to install the rest of the audio parts from the G20 later in the year, but not sure when. I'm not too excited at the moment to disassemble the whole interior to run wiring. I also plan on some interior and exterior detailing soon.

Getting ready to go on a long road trip during memorial weekend. First up to Canada and then over to eastern Washington for some fishing.

I have a few pictures, but I'm not able to upload them at Photobucket, it is really slow atm.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

taller one is the fortune auto setup. For wagons, I'd definitely go with the BC racing coilovers. Just because the spring rates are better suited to the body style, imo.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
It's been a little while since the last time I've updated the thread.

- I did figure out the audio controls, the ASWC1 I had was infact a dud. Once I got a replacement everything worked flawlessly.
- With help from my Dad, we rewired the RX8 steering wheel so it should be able to work with everything still being functional. Just haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Hopefully in the next couple weeks.

My road trip to Canada and to Eastern Washington went well. Car drove well, A/C worked well, no overheating, but used about a quart and a half of oil over 1000 miles driven. So I'll need to keep my eye on that. The CEL I had been getting has been on and off. The past couple of weeks it has been off. There is one more thing I want to try is to reseal the exhaust gasket on the 1st bank.

Photos and details for the trip will be in the next post, and there will be a quite a few photos.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Canada Trip

Trip started out from 1st leg of the trip brought us across the Hood Canal and to Port Angeles. I had never ridden a ferry before and Living in the Seattle area, I thought I should give it a try:) We had also never been to Victoria, BC so it was also something new to do.

Lined up for the Ferry in Port Angeles.

Ferry started loading. I was surprised at the number of large vehicles being loaded. Here you can see a pretty big fifth wheel getting on.

Loaded in the ferry. Pretty tight quarters. The Subaru loaded before us, and were pretty upset at how close we were, understandably. But that is how we were directed to park. You can see the car in front of me is the same.

Here is a photo of the ferry I was on docked in Victoria

First chance of a photo of the car in Victoria, BC. The building in the back ground is the capitol building.

We spent most of the day in Victoria. Not a whole lot of photos are the weather was pretty bad that day. But we went to the BC Museum, farmers market and fisherman's wharf to kill time until check in at the hotel.

Next day was beautiful! Here is a view from out hotel room in Sidney.

Had Breakfast at a place called Cora's, which we liked it very much!
We didnt have much time to do much more site seeing on Vancouver Island, but not knowing exactly what were we were getting in to, we went to Butchart Gardens. Absolutely amazing place. I wish we could have spent more time there.....we paid to get in and only spent about 30mins there due to time constraints...lol I also wanted to check out the butterfly gardens, which is on the way but no time. We had reservations on a 11am ferry out of Swartz bay to Richmond. Only if the weather cooperated a bit more the day before :(

We used BC Ferries back to the mainland. Much larger vessel and plenty more space!

We poked around Richmond for most of the day and then headed to Vancouver for our hotel. The next day we drove through Stanley park which I had done in my youth a few times. The most recent time was almost 10 years ago.

Skyline of Vancouver from Stanley Park.

Wagon in Stanley Park

Wagon and the Lion's Gate Bridge

From there headed to Cora's for brunch in North Vancouver. Being a fisherman, I really wanted to check out the Capilano River Hatchery there. I've been to several in Washington state, but none were as pretty and informative as this one. Well Done Canada!

Capilano River...although not visible the hatchery is just off to the right. The fish ladder is off to the right of the 'waterfall'

The hatchery is located in a park and we walked a bit to the waterfall / dam area of Capilano Lake. Stunning.

After the hatchery we decided to head out North Vancouver for the border since it was memorial day. Since the I5/Blaine border crossing had some crazy 1.5hr wait to across we headed east on the #1 to Abbotsford to cross at Sumas as it was a 15-20min wait, it was a first to go out that way and at least we were moving! From Sumas back south towards the I5 corridor was a nice country drive.

That rounds out the photos of the Canada portion of my trip. Its getting late so I'll do part 2 tomorrow.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its been a few weeks since I have updated, but things have progressed!

Prior to the PNW meet, I wanted to get a few things in order. I worked on getting the rear ride height adjusted. I ordered the BC racing rear springs, but then realized that I also required the BC rear adjusters. The Fortune auto springs have a larger opening on the top to accommodate their larger & heavier duty adjuster. The BC springs have a slightly smaller opening so the FA adjusters will not fit without grinding on the BC springs...I wasnt too keen on that, but I might reconsider later. The issue becomes the BC adjuster is ALSO shorter than the fortune auto one.....so what that means is it basically negates most of the increased spring rate of the BC spring in terms of ride height. I'm slightly higher, but I hoped for a bit more adjustment...I'm at max again. I might revisit it later by using the polyurethane spacers suggest by DrFeelsGood or modify the BC Spring to accept the FA adjuster. I do like the heavier rate springs better though.

Other things done.....

- Windows Tinted 25%, 20% on hatch window
- Back up camera installed
- I installed a RX-8 steeling wheel for the meet, but removed it for some testing. I will reinstall it once I figure out a way to make the paddles AND illumination work
- Been battling a RICH condition CEL that comes and goes. P2097, which is code for Post Cat O2 rich condition on bank 1. I swapped the post-cat O2 sensor prior to the meet and replaced all the o-rings on the injectors for good measure in hopes to cure it. It didn't come back on that trip, but the following week it popped on after a 30~35 min cruise and then the cel turned off after a couple restarts. So it appears to be intermittent. This past weekend I swapped out the injectors to see if maybe I had an injector going out. Occasionally I will have U0100 & U1900 codes as well...not sure if they are related to the P2097 code, but both are can comm loss issues.
- Tried diagnosing why the steering audio controls doesn't work with the head unit, seems like the ASWC-1 I bought is a dud...doesn't light up like the instructions say.
- Located the A/C leak and recharged the system. It seems like I installed an o-ring that was too small for one of the lines and caused a leak. Holding a charge for now.
- Installed a Injen SP6072 CAI.
- Installed Morimoto retro-quick HID kit w/ new lenses in Mazdaspeed headlights.

Otherwise everything has been kosher. I plan to install the rest of the audio parts from the G20 later in the year, but not sure when. I'm not too excited at the moment to disassemble the whole interior to run wiring. I also plan on some interior and exterior detailing soon.

Getting ready to go on a long road trip during memorial weekend. First up to Canada and then over to eastern Washington for some fishing.

I have a few pictures, but I'm not able to upload them at Photobucket, it is really slow atm.
I don't know how I missed this smh. A lot of kick ass here lol!!! I have some notes for the RX-8 steering wheel if you need unless if you have it all figured out. I have one on the shelf waiting to go in but haven't had the time until as of late to put the car down for any amount of time. Even then, I still have more on my plate before I can get around to it.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Eastern Washington

The 2nd leg of the trip started on Thursday, the week of memorial day. We had a Mariners game to attend and needed to do some landscaping at home, so we spent a couple days at home before heading out again.

First stop on the way to the Grand Coulee Dam, was Just shy of Vantage and it was a random pull over.

Petrified forest. To be honest it was pretty disappointing....they could have made this much better if they wanted, but it was a rocky trail on the side of a hill/valley/desert-like area. There were petrified logs in the ground but nothing amazing.

Parking lot really says it all. Although the facilities (restroom, were pretty nice)

This is a photo of the columbia river / Vantage in the Wild Horses monument.

The actual monument is on the top of the plateau in the background.

Banks lake south of Grand Coulee Dam.

This is where I end up fishing by recommendation of a friend. Enjoyed myself quite a bit. Good Smallmouth Bass fishing from the shore!

Some places seem like we are far from civilization. This photo gives me the feeling of what 'outback' would seem like

Grand Coulee Dam. This is the Lake Roosevelt Side. Magnificent structure, this is the fisherman in me, although it meant the death of millions of Pacific Salmon.

Other side of the Grand coulee dam. For some reason the dam in the photo doesn't seem that big, Don't let it fool you. Its huge.

Park around Grand Coulee dam, had a nice picnic here with my GF.

On the way home we stopped by the Dry Falls in the columbia river basin.

After returning home the wagon needed a thorough washing from the all the bugs! Hope everyone enjoyed the pics:)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I have some notes for the RX-8 steering wheel if you need unless if you have it all figured out. I have one on the shelf waiting to go in but haven't had the time until as of late to put the car down for any amount of time. Even then, I still have more on my plate before I can get around to it.
Thanks Ray! I think we got it, but if it doesn't work I'll definitely give you a shout :smile2:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks Ray! I think we got it, but if it doesn't work I'll definitely give you a shout :smile2:
Cool! I'll just wait for the walkthrough then before I install mine :grin2:.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Its been a while!

Car has been doing well and seems the CEL has been cured. Since my last post, the has been to Wenatchee, WA & Leavenworth, WA roundtrip twice and has been doing well. I also loaned out the car to my Mom for a while as her car had transmission problems recently and she had it for about 3 weeks. Which brings me to the CEL. The CEL I kept on getting seemed be because of the gas. My mom figured that the car required Premium fuel as most of my cars were that way. I learned that once 92 octane gas was used the CEL would turn off within <50 miles of fill up. Once regular was used it would come and go. So far 750 miles no CEL since using better grade fuel. I'm guessing - just a guess - that with the CAI and headers with the leaner mixture causes a bit more excitement in the compression chamber and the knock sensor is picking it up...so to compensate it has been adding more fuel to combat any possible detonation/preignition and in doing so maxing the fuel trim out. Once the higher octane was added viola, no need for as much fuel since things were quieter to the knock sensor which meant no CEL!

Still testing but I'm pretty confident this fixed the problem. I will report back later!

I also tried installing a Electroluminescent cluster, didn't work. I think I might of gotten a bad one....none of the idiot lights except the security once and the trans gear selector also did not work. The guages did work though. I bought another one and I'll try that once the mileage gets closer to the one I bought.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You'll like the higher octane fuel lol. I've been running it for almost a year now and it has helped the engine quiet down. In FL with it being so hot I started running it due to a slight "ping" in higher rpms. I haven't heard it in a long time since running the better fuel. Glad to see that it's still doing well!!.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nice pictures you got there! I guess I should start saving for a family travel that I may share some beautiful spots on our local place.

·
Rally Racer
2,360 Posts
Its been a while!

Car has been doing well and seems the CEL has been cured. Since my last post, the has been to Wenatchee, WA & Leavenworth, WA roundtrip twice and has been doing well. I also loaned out the car to my Mom for a while as her car had transmission problems recently and she had it for about 3 weeks. Which brings me to the CEL. The CEL I kept on getting seemed be because of the gas. My mom figured that the car required Premium fuel as most of my cars were that way. I learned that once 92 octane gas was used the CEL would turn off within <50 miles of fill up. Once regular was used it would come and go. So far 750 miles no CEL since using better grade fuel. I'm guessing - just a guess - that with the CAI and headers with the leaner mixture causes a bit more excitement in the compression chamber and the knock sensor is picking it up...so to compensate it has been adding more fuel to combat any possible detonation/preignition and in doing so maxing the fuel trim out. Once the higher octane was added viola, no need for as much fuel since things were quieter to the knock sensor which meant no CEL!

Still testing but I'm pretty confident this fixed the problem. I will report back later!

I also tried installing a Electroluminescent cluster, didn't work. I think I might of gotten a bad one....none of the idiot lights except the security once and the trans gear selector also did not work. The guages did work though. I bought another one and I'll try that once the mileage gets closer to the one I bought.

Hey man, glad to hear from you. I have been trying to remember where I saw your CAI brand and now I got it. The Injen has not caused any CEL to illuminate right (by itself)?
I had to run the higher octane fuel as well to help cure a slight pinging I would get at around 1800-2400 RPM and half throttle. It fixed that issue. Great new about it remedying yours as well.

I swapped one of those electroluminscent gauge clusters in a little while back with no issue at all. I waited until there was a 60,000mi difference (easier math) and just plugged it in.
I am wondering if there might be a difference between the pre- and post-facelift wiring on those things. Mine was a 2004 into a 2004.
Just curious.
Keep up the great work.

Once I get my last skylight in the house I am putting the breakaway mirrors in as well as replacing the AC clutch bearing and driver inner CV boot.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
You'll like the higher octane fuel lol. I've been running it for almost a year now and it has helped the engine quiet down. In FL with it being so hot I started running it due to a slight "ping" in higher rpms. I haven't heard it in a long time since running the better fuel. Glad to see that it's still doing well!!.
Kinda bummed about it as I was hoping to have a car that was regular octane, but its not a biggie. I prefer the higher price than a CEL going on and off. If my theory is correct, even with our relatively mild summers the engine management did pick some ping it appears.

Nice pictures you got there! I guess I should start saving for a family travel that I may share some beautiful spots on our local place.
Thanks! I love looking at pictures...can't wait to see yours!

Hey man, glad to hear from you. I have been trying to remember where I saw your CAI brand and now I got it. The Injen has not caused any CEL to illuminate right (by itself)?
I had to run the higher octane fuel as well to help cure a slight pinging I would get at around 1800-2400 RPM and half throttle. It fixed that issue. Great new about it remedying yours as well.

I swapped one of those electroluminscent gauge clusters in a little while back with no issue at all. I waited until there was a 60,000mi difference (easier math) and just plugged it in.
I am wondering if there might be a difference between the pre- and post-facelift wiring on those things. Mine was a 2004 into a 2004.
Just curious.
Keep up the great work.

Once I get my last skylight in the house I am putting the breakaway mirrors in as well as replacing the AC clutch bearing and driver inner CV boot.
Yep, its an Injen, and no CAI specific CELs. The model I bought is SP6072P, for whatever reason its specific to 06-08. I looked up 2004 and they seem to offer only the RD series one which I believe have the problem as it changes the diameter of the MAF section (but could be fixed with @DJ Raydiate fix) I can't think why the 06-08 wouldn't fit a earlier model...unless the MAF sensor attaches differently.

I bought both from a 06/07 auto car so *should* be ok. I'm pretty sure the first one I bought was a dud because IIRC @bluedevil6 installed one in his 06 with no problems too.

With the Summer festivities car projects have slowed to a crawl, once it cools down again I'll be back at it. Still have a list of things I want to do!

Good Luck on the skylight install! You'll find the the mirrors are a cinch to install...! I forgot to mention I did finally install mine a month ago or so.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes I have the electroluminescent cluster it is a direct swap. @DrFeelGood is correct that the pre/post-facelift will not interchange, it will plug in and mount the same but the one I tried the turn signal indicators wouldn't work and the odometer increases by about double what it should for whatever reason.

btw glad to hear things have been going well!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Its been a while since I have updated. A few months back I got around to installing a replacement electroluminescent cluster and it is up and running.

So this fall/winter I've decided to name it the period: The Great Flood of 2019-2020.

On the first heavy rain in October, I got the infamous leak on the driver side. Completely filled up the coin holder on the driver side and water in the floor pan. I was alerted to this flooding due the car's horn was stuck on....water invaded the body control module. After some forum searching I learned that the drain in the windshield cowl was likely plugged up. Initially I didn't think it was the problem as the drain was camouflaged with dirt so well I didn't think there was even a drain there. So to help prevent the body control module from having issues in the future, I decided that I should try to waterproof the unit. After some youtubing and internet searches I learned that clear nail polish is a decent waterproof agent and it is not conductive. I then disassembled the control unit and painted/doused the circuit board. Naturally I couldn't paint the connector contacts, but I figure it will lessen the chance of water damage in the case of a leak in the future.

Later on I learned the passenger side had also leaking as well. Just recently I learned I was battling multiple leaks. Apparently the factory did not do a very good job with seam sealing the frame near the firewall....something I found out after a couple of searches here. It's a pain to do, but I removed the front passenger side fender and resealed the offending area with permatex gray silicone. On my car this area was mostly missing the sealant and the remaining sealant basically fell out at the sight of my scrapping utensil. So far so good, or so I thought. A couple weeks ago, I noticed the floor mat had some water on it again. I had read the door seal sometimes leaks there and I just figured that was it. Didnt worry too much as it minor. We had some more heavy rain and noticed the windshield was completely fogged up one day. Looked inside and I had a mini lake on the rubber floor mat. SIGH. The next day I was determined to figure out what the issue was. I concentrated my search on the door seal, but could not find any tears or issues with it. About to give up I noticed a drop of water on the A pillar plastic. Then I noticed the corner of the headliner on that side was wet....since I don't have a sunroof I can only imagine this is a windshield problem. The car has an aftermarket windshield, installed by the previous owner. I'm guessing it wasn't sealed properly. I was putting off changing the windshield (large crack on passenger side) but no excuses now.

I also have a small leak in the cargo area on the driver side. I need to track that one down. I hope it isn't anything to difficult to find....but with all this rain it can't be too hard!

Otherwise everything has been all peaches. No CELs or any other serious issues.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I had a leak at the passenger door on mine. I thought it was the seam seal you found but it turned out to be related to my speed 6 door card install. The bottom edge of the speaker bucket on the interior door liner was not sealing to the door metal. Water would seap out there and go over the door threshold plastic and pool up on the carpet under the passenger seat and rear foot well (car parked uphill). It took a lot of fussing about to find but it has been nice and dry after I fixed it.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts