Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
@hurddawg did you also add the leveling headlights to your machine?

Oooohhh... I wanna know about this part. I'd be happy with just the multi level adjuster switch above the coin bank at your left knee. The full auto levelers requires a LOT of extra stuff beyond just the headlights.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
@hurddawg did you also add the leveling headlights to your machine?
Oooohhh... I wanna know about this part. I'd be happy with just the multi level adjuster switch above the coin bank at your left knee. The full auto levelers requires a LOT of extra stuff beyond just the headlights.
Not much gets past you guys!:nerd:

But its just the oem HID adjustment switch and I think that is what @DrFeelGood was referring to. When I swapped the dash harness I thought it was a good time to swap in the switch. Shouldn't be that hard to add, as I added something similar to my G20, which certain trim JDM models had D2R Xenon HID headlights with adjusters. In the G20, I didn't have any factory wiring but it ended up just drawing power from the park lights and 1 lead to the switch up to the dash. Which looks like what the 6 does as well.

Anycase in the 6, the dash wiring harness has the wiring for the switch already. To my surprise, my original harness had the switch wiring in it already as well. I haven't verified yet, but I'm hoping the engine bay harness has the wiring in it already. On a hunch, I think it probably does. So its looking like it'll be easier than the G20 to add the feature, I just haven't gotten there yet. I do have a set of used oem HID headlights but they need refreshing and I want to knock out the suspension stuff out first :)

It would be really cool to add a feature like the auto leveling that is available in newer vehicles....Particularly in the wagon as there is more potential for heavier cargo loads. I've seen in person that at least some early/mid 2000 BMWs have the system. They use a position switch on both the front and rear suspension, I'm guessing to detect vehicle level and some electronics would be involved I imagine. I also believe my Chevrolet has it as well...but I didn't really look into it much.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
How awesome that you got the auto climate solved. The speed center dash looks great too. I cant wait to see it in the flesh.
I'm pretty happy it worked out...a lot of work for it not too! I like the little covers over the ash tray and cup holders. From what it looks like it was a deleted from gen 1.5 cars, outside of course the speed6. So for you <2006 cars it probably looks close to what you guys have already (some minor differences)

·
Rally Racer
1,736 Posts
Yah @hurddawg you nailed it. I would have grabbed the switch from the speed6 that I pulled my brakes off of in the yard but I did not because the front was melted (headlights) from a collision and subsequent fire. I figured the motor would be incorporated into the headlights and never imagined paying full price for them to add the feature. I don't so much care about the auto leveling function if I can manually adjust when I need.

Your updates and posts are adding real value to this site. Thank you for the time taken. I will definitely be tuning when you get to that part.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm having fun. I actually wish I would have spent more time taking photos and better directions DIY like but I've been kinda speeding through it lol

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Past weekend saw some headway on the car.

- Speed6 Brakes were powder coated, rebuilt and installed.
- Mazdaspeed rear sway bar was installed with new endlinks.
- New rear wheel bearings installed.

Mazdaspeed sway bar...hard to tell in the photos, but the bar is definitely larger. IIRC wagon sway bar are smaller than the sedans as well

Installed...tight fit to get that bar in and out of there with the exhaust, but doable. I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but its a nice touch to have the mazdaspeed logo facing down :)

In preparation of the speed6 brakes, I removed the dust shields and put in new rear bearings. The rears were in pretty good shape considering the condition of the fronts. I think I am going to modify the the splash/dust shields and reinstall them.

Rear Stock '07 vs Rear Speed6...pretty sizable difference imo....

Rebuilt and powder coated on the left and original on the right. I had some issues with corrosion on one of the speed6 calipers I had so I used parts of the caliper on the car to make it work. Luckily the actual caliper is the same!

Installed rear! Don't mind the crappy spray paint...I plan on redoing it. You can see the new sway bar in there.

speed6 techna-fit lines. I'm just gonna say they techna-ly fit. I'm going to see about buying a different front set. I'm bought from them before for the G20s, and I had issues with them too. The rears have no issues...but I'm not ecstatic about how the fronts went in. I add some rubber hose on the line to prevent chaffing against the chassis and one of the mounts doesn't bolt on. Sorry no pic of the issues.

Installed rear line and caliper.

Front MS6 vs '07 stock brakes. Not as significant as the rear upgrade, but still a decent bump up

I guess I did have a pic of the line...the bracket for the chassis is in the wrong plane if you look closely....But otherwise the front brakes are installed!

Pics with the wheels on

Sneak peek! Not sure how well it'll fit but we'll see once I get coilovers

I was going to swap the other suspension pieces, but quickly realized that I'd probably removing a lot of it once I install the coilovers. So I might end up just waiting for that update.

This weekend I might end up installing a couple of the chassis braces I picked up or installing a radio. But its all in the air.

I noticed that the rear suspension on my car has a few more brackets that I've seen on other cars...is this a gen 1.5 thing or a wagon thing? One in particular is that bracket that attached to the subframe, the swaybar mount and what I think is the chassis. You can see the bracket in the photo that shows the sway bar installed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
@hurddawg were the rear wheel bearings difficult, because I need to do mine they are starting to wine, btw I LOVE the color you chose for the calipers

·
Registered
391 Posts
The leveling motor is in the headlight housing. It would be much easier to get HID housings that already have them of course. Being that you have an 07 getting the auto leveling to work would be easier, though I'm not sure if the harnesses are different since HIDs were an option on the grand touring. The level is controlled through the BCM on an 06-08 (something the 03-05 doesn't have), not sure if all of them are the same or you would need a BCM from an HID car. They're getting more prevalent in junk yards so acquiring it shouldn't be too hard.

Build is looking great!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
@hurddawg were the rear wheel bearings difficult, because I need to do mine they are starting to wine, btw I LOVE the color you chose for the calipers
It wasn't too bad at all.

1) Remove the caliper and rotor
2) Remove the dust cap in the center, I just used a small chisel and tapped it off
3) Remove the 35~36mm nut off.
4) Slide the bearing assembly off. Mine had some minor minor rust on the spindle but it came off pretty easily still as an assembly. I've had cars where the inner race likes to stick on the spindle. That can be a pain if it does.

I like the color too, Thanks!
But I kinda wise I chose a slightly brighter red, but I'm happy with it!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The leveling motor is in the headlight housing. It would be much easier to get HID housings that already have them of course. Being that you have an 07 getting the auto leveling to work would be easier, though I'm not sure if the harnesses are different since HIDs were an option on the grand touring. The level is controlled through the BCM on an 06-08 (something the 03-05 doesn't have), not sure if all of them are the same or you would need a BCM from an HID car. They're getting more prevalent in junk yards so acquiring it shouldn't be too hard.

Build is looking great!
Thanks for the info Kevin! I do remember looking at the BCM P/Ns between the models and are the same (outside of the speed6). But in case I'll put it to the test!
I didn't realize the earlier models didn't have a BCM...good to know.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It wasn't too bad at all.

1) Remove the caliper and rotor
2) Remove the dust cap in the center, I just used a small chisel and tapped it off
3) Remove the 35~36mm nut off.
4) Slide the bearing assembly off. Mine had some minor minor rust on the spindle but it came off pretty easily still as an assembly. I've had cars where the inner race likes to stick on the spindle. That can be a pain if it does.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected, I'm really glad to hear there are no surprises other than the slight possibility of some corrosion since this is starting to seem like something I'm going to have to do in the cold. I want to wait for warmer weather but the driver side has gotten noticeably louder in the past few weeks so I'm not sure it can wait that long. :frown2:

·
Rally Racer
1,736 Posts
@hurddawg this are moving along quite wonderfully. I reference to your rear suspension bar, I have that as well on my 04 so it may be a GG/GY difference. Perhaps to lend more stability to an open rear cargo area?
https://image.ibb.co/bS2iW8/20180724-124017.jpg
You are going to love those speed brakes. Above all it is probably the one modification I enjoy the most. I get to enjoy it every time I slow, (not just when I corner)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You are going to love those speed brakes. Above all it is probably the one modification I enjoy the most. I get to enjoy it every time I slow, (not just when I corner)
I crashed into the box that my set are sitting in today in the garage. I really need to get mine installed. @hurddawg the machine is looking great!

·
Registered
603 Posts
How much of a difference do the speed6 brakes make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Did a little bit on the car today.

After reading @DrFeelGood 's thread on chassis bracing I decided I wanted to get some of the bars too. In my case, I decided on making the rear tower brace on my own. I started out by making the brace end brackets. I'm not an expert welder so excuse the welds! What I did was cut some 1.25" pipe and welded some 1/8" plate on the bottom of it. Drilled a hole in the center for the bolt

Here I have the 2 end brackets bolted on the car. I'm going to use the car itself as a jig.

I cut down a 4' piece of 1" DOM steel with 1/8" wall thickness. I bought it from Summit Racing for $30 shipped. In the photo I cut the pipe to length. I started @40" and then cut it down probably another inch. I got lucky, I cut just enough that it would wedge perfectly between the 2 end brackets. You'll notice the brackets are different length. The taller one is that one I did first. I shortened it later on.

Here I put some protection in the car so the welding spatter would do the least amount of damage. It held up well. I Just tacked the ends together in the car and then unbolted it and finished the weld outside of the car.

The bar fully welded.

Bolted it back in the car and no problems!

Cut of as much of the plastic underbracing of the floor to make it flat as possible. I think that is as good as it is going to get.

Next step is to get it powder coated. Probably have it done next week:)

I bought this Autoexe rear brace to supplment the tower brace I made. This bar is only about a 18" at most so I was surprised at the size once I received it in the mail...all said and done, it was about $180 to get it state side. Those of you that live in states that don't need to pay sales tax on internet sales can get it a bit cheaper. Based off the photos I had seen I didn't want to try and tackle this one....but I'm kinda regretting it now.

I also have the Megan racing front lower brace and a megan front upper/tower brace. I have yet to install those. I really want to try making one of these(pic below)...I believe its a Steeda Ford Fusion front brace and if that goes well, I'll try to tackle the rear portion of the autoexe member brace (below the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
@hurddawg this are moving along quite wonderfully. I reference to your rear suspension bar, I have that as well on my 04 so it may be a GG/GY difference. Perhaps to lend more stability to an open rear cargo area?
https://image.ibb.co/bS2iW8/20180724-124017.jpg
Thanks! Thanks for confirming the braces. You are probably right about the reason too. I like what you did with your brakes, looks great!!

I can't wait to really test them out. I drove a bit around the block and I feel I need to bleed the brakes more.

P.S. what company brake lines did you use?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
How much of a difference do the speed6 brakes make?

From what I read the 06-08 cars had slightly larger brakes than the earlier models so the difference would be less pronounced for our '07 cars. But they still looked to be a good 1" or so larger.

·
Rally Racer
1,736 Posts
@bluedevil6 and @hurddawg the brakes took my measurements from 290mm to 320mm and I notice them most over 35mph. The rate they initially drop my speed is significantly improved.

Nice work on the rear floor bar. Stiff is good.

I am really excited about this. I have had my eye on it for several years but something else comes up first. If you could give us a little juice on this I will be sure to do the same with my cheapo CAI.

I bought this Autoexe rear brace to supplment the tower brace I made. This bar is only about a 18" at most so I was surprised at the size once I received it in the mail...all said and done, it was about $180 to get it state side. Those of you that live in states that don't need to pay sales tax on internet sales can get it a bit cheaper. Based off the photos I had seen I didn't want to try and tackle this one....but I'm kinda regretting it now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just one more thing I’ve got to add to my “want” list now lol

61 - 80 of 135 Posts
About this Discussion
134 Replies
14 Participants
bluedevil6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing