Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/03/200...ncept-unveiled/

Seeking to build on the 25-percent retail sales gain by the G6 so far this year, Pontiac is revealing a new G6 GXP coupe show car at the upcoming New York International Auto Show. Designed to augment the G6’s sleek styling with a more aggressive appearance and stance, the new GXP show car will test both media and public reaction before any final decision on production is made. “Although the GXP performance series has been very successful in the past, we’ve never attempted to introduce a GXP on our largest volume vehicle and we want to be sure we do it right,” said Dennis Maraone, Pontiac product director. “We believe the package of exterior, interior and performance enhancements we’ve put together on the G6 GXP show car should appeal to 2+2 coupe enthusiasts.”

Highlighting the exterior styling changes is a redesigned front fascia, featuring an integrated lower air dam and an aggressive chrome treatment of Pontiac’s signature twin-port grille, as well as a twin air scoop hood. Around back, the new rear fascia shows off the dual chrome-tipped exhaust and unique “hammerhead” spoiler. Side rocker panels, 19-inch wheels, vented cross-drilled brake rotors, and a 25-mm reduction in suspension height finish off the GXP’s ground-hugging appearance.

Inside, red accents give the GXP a sportier flavor than a standard G6. The red chrome trim on the instrument cluster, center stack and door controls augments the red leather seat and door panel inserts.

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free flowing exhaust helps boost engine output to 270 horsepower (202 kw) and 259 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm).

The GXP performance series was introduced in 2003 with the Bonneville GXP. The Grand Prix GXP joined the line in 2005 and currently accounts for 30 percent of all Grand Prix retail sales. The Solstice GXP launches this fall.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Kinda looks like a Dodge vehicle crossed with a G35 coupe.
[/b]
I was thinking the same thing.

Why is it that these press released photos always looks good but when you see the real thing, sometime (or most of the time) they don't look as good....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the G6 sedan after test driving one before buying my 6. I felt that the interior was cheaply made, did they step it up a notch for the GXP coupe? That car does resemble the G35 coupe but I'd bet not many people that can afford the G35 coupe will opt for the G6.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
A 911-wannabe tabletop for a wing and more HP can't make up for a cheap interior and terrible handling/braking/ride.

Crap. :thumbdn:

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think it looks pretty good....better than the standard G6 Coupe. They should make a GXP sedan.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Holy shit!

What is its second function? Eating wood with those damn teeth? It's a fucking beaver on wheels.
[/b]
:laugh: I see the same thing! Even the stance and the big spoiler "tail"!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Too bad that thing is FWD...I bet it would be a blast to drive if it was RWD.

As for the styling I pretty much like everything except for the "beaver teeth" as mentioned before

I liked pontiac's older (by older i mean like 4 years ago lol) stylings better

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's within 8 HP of your precious Mazdaspeed 6 and with fwd and not awd - prob has less weight and better quarter mile times...Let me take a look at a Pontiac site and post some of THEIR thoughts...hold on...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Which is the front and which is the back? :p The antenna just looks wrong.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's within 8 HP of your precious Mazdaspeed 6 and with fwd and not awd - prob has less weight and better quarter mile times...Let me take a look at a Pontiac site and post some of THEIR thoughts...hold on...
[/b]
Yea, and the Acura TL has the same HP rating as the Mazdaspeed6, but it costs more and performs worse. What gives? Get out of the straight lanes man, and start hitting some curves.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
[/b]
Ohh, so then it HAS to be better than the MS6! :sarc:

Let's see... Chances are with FWD, I'll guess the "lighter" weight will be split 70/30, which will cause the car to understeer like no tomorrow, NOT fun on a track or curvy road. I'm guessing torque steer will be abundant as well, considering GM can't figure out how to solve that problem on any of their FWD, high-HP cars. All this on an ugly car on a terrible platform.

Oh yeah, it spanks the MS6!

:slap:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
::GNAWS::

tree falls!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Yea, and the Acura TL has the same HP rating as the Mazdaspeed6, but it costs more and performs worse. What gives? Get out of the straight lanes man, and start hitting some curves.
[/b]
Except a TL with the A-spec suspension is fun to drive, looks good, and doesn't have a dollar store interior.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
reminds me of an overgrown Cobalt SS. Like...the mom (non-milf) wearing her teenage daughters clothes...

·
Registered
884 Posts
The tail lights look like those from a 350Z, the body looks like a G35, and you could serve trays of food on that spoiler....ewwwww. Interior will probably be hurrendous as usual with a Pontiac. They should take some emphasis off of power and concentrate on the finer interior details for once. You cant enjoy the power if it doesnt stick to the ground on that horrible suspension.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It looks like the bastard child of an affair between a current gen Mitsubishi Eclipse with a current gen Honda Civic SI. It has that whole cab forward look going on. What the hell is up with Pontiac and it's grille?

On a positive side, I think Pontiac (although made by GM) is doing a lot better things with cars than the standard Cheverolets. Has anybody driven the Impala SS? What a pile of garbage. Aside from the fact that the car is way overpriced, they shoehorned in a sideways mounted small block V8 and made the car FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! Thank god for some type of traction control or torque steering would probably put you into the next lane. The overall quality of the interior as far as fit and finish is just not there in the Chevy's. My sister's G6 was somewhat impressive only for the fact that there were some nice touches.

One of the big things I've noticed on Chevys as compared with Pontiacs are the wheels. The Pontiacs have nicely styled alloys that appear to have a pretty nice finish. However, the Chevy alloys appear to have been a rushed afterthought. The look of the "polished alloys" on their SS models seems awfully uninspired and cheap. The real clincher is the up close appearance of them. It looks like the wheels weren't properly cleaned up after casting. Most of the wheels I've seen have sharp rough edges and points that look like drips.

Decent idea for Pontiac.

God, I hate GM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
22 Participants
Philter25
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing