Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car new; and shortly after, I had a clear-coat bra put on the hood. I was recently visiting my brother, and he noticed rust spots under the bra. (I never would have noticed it, so who knows how long it's been there) The guy that put the bra on said he'd never seen that happen before. When he pulled it off, it pulled the paint right off the car, and there was rust under the paint. He paid for Mazda to fix it, but he feels like it was a paint issue, not his fault. Now, one month later, the paint is bubbling where the rust was. Any ideas?? I posted a picture on my page of when we pulled the bra back. Wendy

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wow, I've never seen that before either. Did you get a warranty on the paint work that Mazda performed? Perhaps you can take it back to them.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Im willing to bet that your hood was repainted at some point in time. I have had clear bra on my car from day 1, and three years later there are no signs of rusting anywhere. (unless you had rock chips before clear bra application)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it in to Mazda today and when they looked at it, they noticed that now it's starting to rust on the inside of the hood all the way across. They aren't sure whether or not they're going to fix it as corrosion is apparently only covered up to 36,000 miles unless it perforates. My car has 45,000 miles, and I'm sure the rust whas there a long time; I just didn't notice it. So irritated, will see what happens.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
I took it in to Mazda today and when they looked at it, they noticed that now it's starting to rust on the inside of the hood all the way across. They aren't sure whether or not they're going to fix it as corrosion is apparently only covered up to 36,000 miles unless it perforates. My car has 45,000 miles, and I'm sure the rust whas there a long time; I just didn't notice it. So irritated, will see what happens.
Then get it fixed under paint warranty. That SHOULD be unlimited miles IIRC.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry to bring back an older post but my 06 speed6 that I bought brand new, and has never been painted has a serious rust issue along the leading edge of the hood.

The paint is bubbling up pretty dramatically. No exterior damage on or near the spot, I don't live near a chemical refinery and i wash my car at least 1 a month and wax it at least 3 times a year.

I am out of warranty (just shy of 60K) and the rust preforation warranty sounds like it only covers holes made by rust.

Does anyone else have bubbling paint rust issues on a 06-07 speed6?

I ask specifically for speed6 because the speed6 is made in Hiroshima with a different paint process than the standard 6 made in Flat Rock Michigan.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a white ms6 and the paint does feel diffrent but i dont have any chippng or bubbling. sounds like it was repaired after a wreck i would check to see with a paint depth checker to see if there were any other areas that might have been repainted normal depth of paint should be 3-4 mil and 5-7 close to the edges because paint will gather more on the edges. any more means it was repaired this only works on metal parts though, plastic you will have to take youe chance.

·
Banned
538 Posts
The bra is the worst thing you can put on the front of your car. Water stays their longer and probably reacts with dirt & grime under there. Without the bra you get chips on the edge of the hood. Your choice. kinda sucks either way. This is not a perfect world. Too many cars on the road. Ever heard of acid rain? You want that shit off your hood ASAP not longer with a bra!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The bra is the worst thing you can put on the front of your car. Water stays their longer and probably reacts with dirt & grime under there. Without the bra you get chips on the edge of the hood. Your choice. kinda sucks either way. This is not a perfect world. Too many cars on the road. Ever heard of acid rain? You want that shit off your hood ASAP not longer with a bra!
They were taking about the clear 3M bras, not the old ugly black vinyl bras from the 80's :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts