Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full review with pictures is at http://emptormaven.com/2006/12/10/2007-mazda-6-sport-grand-touring-wagon/

Summary:

With the manufacturer kicking in an extra $2000 in incentives during November 2006, it was a great time to buy. I found a dealer who agreed to trade for one of only two GT wagons in the entire region, and give it to me for 1% above invoice, resulting in a before-tax cost of just $25,000 for a loaded car that rolled off the assembly line in September.

One of Mazda’s slogans is “Always the soul of a sports car,” and judging by this wagon they live up to it. First of all, I have to say I love the look of this car, inside and out. Right now it is the best-looking wagon you can buy in the U.S. One of my big concerns was that it would be a rough ride on its 18″ wheels, which are shod with very low-profile P215/45 tires. But the suspension in this thing is a dream: It locks on to the road and corners like it’s on rails, yet soaks up imperfections with all of the aplomb of the best German sports sedans I’ve driven.

The powertrain is very slick as well. The 6-speed automatic shifts extremely smoothly, and turns out EPA economy of 20mpg City / 27mpg Highway — very respectable for a 3500 pound car. (And though I doubt the EPA tests encompass this, I should also note that in a day in which most highway cruising is done above 85mph, that extra tall gear can make a real difference for fuel economy. This car does 2600rpm at 80mph and 3000rpm at 90mph, which still isn’t as tall as I think appropriate for a sixth gear, but it’s not bad.) I had hoped that by this point CVT transmissions would be widespread, but I guess this 6-speed is a decent approximation.

The engine is a 3.0 liter V6 rated at 212hp, and even though it is a product of Ford, Mazda has tied it together with a decently responsive control system: Floor the accelerator and there is just barely enough of a pause to let you know you’re driving American, but then it spins up to the redline at a respectable rate. Torque is sufficient to just about break the tires loose on a dry road. The engine emits a satisfying growl at high RPMs, yet stays very calm during cruising.

Interior fit and finish is good, even by the standards of near-luxury cars costing $10k more. I am extremely sensitive to squeaks and rattles, and so far am happy to have not detected even the faintest one. I am thrilled to have a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel, which for the first time in a car I actually own has allowed me to arrange the cockpit to give my 6′2″ frame a perfect driving posture.

What’s missing?

The Grand Touring package leaves it nicely loaded, including such almost-essential amenities as HID low-beams, heated seats, automatic climate control with air filter, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, alarm, etc. I could do without the moonroof, but that seems to get thrown into the mix anytime you step above a base trim. Features I wish were available, but which are not: Memory seats and mirrors, Vehicle Stability Control. And two features they have no excuse for omitting: Tire pressure sensors, and an exposed audio input to the sound system (e.g., for MP3 players).

I love this car, but it’s not perfect: It has a wide turning radius — the widest I can remember in a car. There is some highway tire noise as one gets up to a respectable cruising speed. (I imagine that most low-profile all-seasons generate a good amount of road noise, but that higher-end cars carry an extra few hundred pounds of noise insulation.) Like many other cars, when the gas tank is a few gallons from the top it emits sloshing sounds, which disappear as the gas level drops. Finally, I was dismayed to find that the rear door is just two inches too small to admit a half sheet of plywood (which is 48″ on a side).

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've compared my 2004 wagon to the new 2007...there's no diffirence other than the front body kit...I'd save my money and get a used one or a different car...I had wished that they had created a mazdaspeed6 wagon version (told me not going to happen due to lack of interest)...if so, then it's worth getting the 2007 wagon...About the options, I don't recommend the heated seats (I have it and once you turned it on, it only last at least 3 minutes and then you don't feel the heat anymore..."Interior fit and finish is good", hahaha, no way, I've already got on panel replaced because it cracked while I was taking out the retractable cover (advice though, purchase the cargo organizer- my trunk has taken a beating already eventhough I have done little to wore it out...Finally, I hope that they have fixed the fan module sensor as well as the PCV valve (I'm on my 3rd fan module sensor)...

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Torque is sufficient to just about break the tires loose on a dry road.[/b]
I've done an unintentional burnout before, lol. But mine is manual, I dumped the clutch at about 3k.

I've compared my 2004 wagon to the new 2007...there's no diffirence other than the front body kit.[/b]
There are more differences than that, mostly the interior, the center stack and the seats are completely different. The headlights and taillights are also different, '06s have a black backing as opposed to red in the '04. HIDs and 18" wheels are also available on '06s but not on '04s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are more differences than that, mostly the interior, the center stack and the seats are completely different. The headlights and taillights are also different, '06s have a black backing as opposed to red in the '04. HIDs and 18" wheels are also available on '06s but not on '04s.
[/b]
Not to mention the six-speed automatic, if you're going with that transmission.

·
Registered
799 Posts
well I still love my wagon, I would agree that it is the best looking wagon out there.

now give me your tail lights!! :goon:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love this car, but it’s not perfect...
[/b]
Turning radius: I was lucky in that I came to the '6 from possibly the only car with a larger turning radius... The SVT Contour. You learn to plan ahead for tight maneuvers...

Carrying capacity: Plywood notwithstanding, the wagon can swallow some pretty big stuff. I even put a trailer hitch on for towing my kart around. Lovin' it! :)

I've compared my 2004 wagon to the new 2007...there's no diffirence other than the front body kit...
[/b]
No manual tranny. No manual tranny? No manual tranny!!! :zzz:

I'd save my money and get a used one or a different car...I had wished that they had created a mazdaspeed6 wagon version (told me not going to happen due to lack of interest)...
[/b]
Still amazed the wagon was offered in the US at all. Be thankful for that...

About the options, I don't recommend the heated seats (I have it and once you turned it on, it only last at least 3 minutes and then you don't feel the heat anymore...
[/b]
Certainly not the case with my 2006. I'm pretty sure Mazda made some changes.

Finally, I hope that they have fixed the fan module sensor as well as the PCV valve (I'm on my 3rd fan module sensor)...
[/b]
Yep.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had the 2006 sportwagon for 5 months now, 5,000 smiles (I hear the 07s are unchanged). It's a 6 speed auto. Yes it is good looking. 3/4 views are it's best. Looking at it from straight behind though is it's least flattering. The overall shape looks cludgy in back. The exhaust tips are a tad too small. I'm not a big fan of the tail lights. The paint quality seems mediocre. I've got plenty of what I believe are pinholes of white primer showing on my onyx black model, if you look closely. I can see areas by the door edges where that primer is left uncovered. No sags or runs on this car, lol. The interior (also black) is beautiful with decent quality. No squeaks or rattles. Check that, the removable cover that extends and retracts over the cargo area has a squeak that goes away when retracted, this should be easy to fix. Everything works. The seats for me are a mixed bag. I wonder how long those velour cloth surfaces will last. I like the firmness but I feel too much pressure to the back and outsides of my thighs. Maybe not a problem for people much smaller than my 6'4" self. Over time though, I think I've managed to find a good position helped with 8-way power and that great tilt and telescoping steering wheel.

It figures it's a slow seller over here seeing how the wagon is a popular model in europe. That fact helped me get one for $5,500 under msrp! Gas mileage at 20.5 MPG is disappointing. I average close to 50% highway driving. Although I'm doing 70-75 MPH, you get run over doing anything less these days. I'm not seeing much 85 mph traffic around my parts though, I'd imagine the average MPGs dropping below 20 easy. The 6 speed ATX is decent. Power is more than adequate at first (I'm coming from an SUV) but it is addictive, so now I feel it could use some low end torque. From what I hear CVT is pretty boring, so it doesn't deserve a place in the Mazda. DSG, yes! Every once in a while I'll get a hesitation from a stop or slow roll out of 1st gear. I'm thinking it might be a consequence of the electronic throttle. Which leads me to guess that this might be the reason why the MTXers frequently report instances of the same. Otherwise mechanically, I think they got most of the bugs worked out from the previous years. Tire pressure sensors are overrated, finnicky and expensive. I agree with the lack of mp3/ ipod jack.

There are other wagons. The Audi A4 (or A3), Dodge Magnum or Subaru Outback XT. If I had more money, I'd consider them. I had put down a deposit on an Outback 2.5i, but after test driving it a 2nd time I got cold feet. It was just too underpowered and rode too soft (but it does have a very short turning circle). In the end, the Mazda's got the soul of a sports car and is a great value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.