Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The transmission on my 2007 Mazda 6 Wagon, 3.0L 6 speed needs to be replaced. A couple months ago, it started having trouble shifting out of 4th gear. Then last week, it started hard shifting out of 1st gear. Really hard shifting, like bang! Brought it to a shop on Friday, they checked it out and said it's 'burnt'. I have no reason to think they're incorrect. The car has about 175k miles on it.

Rebuild my trans is $3500 + tax. Put in a used one (86k) is $2150 + tax.

I see used ones on line for about $600. In fact, I can get one locally with 142k miles on it for $275.

Any recommendations for how to proceed? If I go used, what mileage should I use for the upper limit? What about a used one from Japan?

Has anyone here had to replace their trans. If so, how'd that work out?

I love the car, it's a blast to drive, the engine is in great shape, and the body is ok (wheel well rust rear passenger side).

$3500 for a rebuild is out. After that, I'm trying to figure out the best compromise solution.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Best

Greg Frey

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would think that labor is the expensive part of this. I would do the used one only if it had a guarantee and have a professional put it in. Either way, looking around and buying a different wagon is right in the ballpark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I had the shop install a used trans with 86k miles. Not looking like a good decision right now. It shifts pretty hard around 4th gear. I'll follow up after the holidays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts