Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Mazda 6i 5-door a week ago and I can't figure out whether or not it plays MP3's. I told the dealer that I wanted a 6 with that option and he told me that it does. But I talked to him today and he seems to not even know what an MP3 cd is. So I tried several different mp3 cd's on my headunit and none of them play. When I put in the cd it just plays one track and has no sound. I don't think I have one. Is there anything that I can look for on the headunit to see if it plays mp3's? I read the manual on the 6 and it says I need to make certain kind of mp3's to play in the headunit, but I tried several different ways to make them and they all failed. Also, isn't there supposed to be some kind of small "MP3" sign on the headunit? I don't think mine has that. Well, could somebody help me out with this? Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Unfortunately, I had that problem as well, Its really wierd that the m6 cd player doesn't come with mp3 cd capabilities, but its true, even though most cd players nowadays come stock with it, get an aftermarket cd player, or buy a ipod and an fm transmitter (what I did) only way to cope with this...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think there is a factory mp3 options. Its item #GJ6B79AGXB/BGX. I think thats for the mp3 player. Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to get mine installed through the dealer. I waited about 3 weeks for it to get shipped from another state. It does have a little "MP3" sign right below the "load" button of the unit. But then again, mine is an 06' not 07' so I don't know if they come factory installed already.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I had to get mine installed through the dealer. I waited about 3 weeks for it to get shipped from another state. It does have a little "MP3" sign right below the "load" button of the unit. But then again, mine is an 06' not 07' so I don't know if they come factory installed already.
[/b]
I think he pretty well already concluded that, if you put an MP3 disk in the player and it doesn't work then you don't have the MP3 player version. I was a little bit annoyed by that in my 2006 6S Sport, there wasn't even an option listed for it, but I could buy another whole damn radio unit for $500 from Mazda, not counting installation labor. Seems like Mazda could make it an option at least.

P

·
0 Posts
yeah, i'm kinda ticked about this too. i tried all kinds of MP3 CDs and finally just decided that i need to figure out how to get my head unit out and just install the iPod kit. the radio comes with a "SAT" button, so i'm hoping to just plug into that input.

has anyone found one for less than $160? the one i found lets you control your iPod through the radio and steering wheel radio controls...plus it sounds WAY better than an FM transmitter.

-dc

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks alot guys. So what your saying is that I could get an ipod transmitter to work through my headunit? I'm not sure I really understand this. Will all of my buttons on the steering wheel still work?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I waiting for my MP3 player from Mazda...but it's on backorder. It's been over a month now. :swearin:
I have the Bose system. The regular MP3 radio is not on back order. I bought it a Trussville Mazda. I miss me MP3 cd's :tear:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I currently use an FM transmitter, and besides the annoying static you hear when the music isn't loud enough, its "ok" I'd much rather have an mp3 cd instead of an mp3 player. Thinking about installing an aftermarket unit though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinkin about goin aftermarket too. I wanna get a cd player with the indash tv also. My only problem is that I wanna hide the tv in that top compartment, but I don't know how it would fit or if the tv will block my view when I'm driving. Does anybody know of someone who has done that b4? I don't want the factory nav system look. I want to put like the alpine or pioneer in dash dvd/cd/nav in there. You think it would fit?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm thinkin about goin aftermarket too. I wanna get a cd player with the indash tv also. My only problem is that I wanna hide the tv in that top compartment, but I don't know how it would fit or if the tv will block my view when I'm driving. Does anybody know of someone who has done that b4? I don't want the factory nav system look. I want to put like the alpine or pioneer in dash dvd/cd/nav in there. You think it would fit?
[/b]

You can always make stuff fit.....with the right amount of cash :) Sounds expensive, at least half a grand just for the unit...well all I wanted was a friggin mp3 capable cd player, but your version sounds nice...might as well save up and throw away my crappy 40 buck portable mp3 player and run to the store. :tear:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts