Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version: I want to buy new headlights, and I'd rather not take the front of my car apart to find these part numbers, so I thought I'd check if anybody happens to have that information handy. The car is a 2006 Mazda6 wagon. I don't believe it has fog lights.

Long version: my driver-side low beam had been intermittently not working for a while. A year or two ago, I took the headlight assembly out to see if I could figure out the problem. It looked like somebody else had taken it apart first and glued or caulked the housing back together, so I couldn't really take it apart without the risk of breaking something. The insulation on all the wires inside was brittle and crumbling, so I did what I could with liquid electrical tape. The problem didn't go away, but I noticed that I could get the light to turn on again if I used a multimeter to measure the voltage between the base of the bulb and ground. As soon as the probes touched, the light would start working again. Eventually, the problem seemed to go away on its own, and I forgot about it, until recently when it started acting up again.

So it's time for me to buy a pair of headlights. I want a pair because the ones on there are really hazy, and replacing just one would look bad. I don't want used ones, because I'm concerned about the crumbling wire insulation happening again, and for the same reason, I'm skeptical of new OEM ones. I don't care much whether they're OEM-style or aftermarket, as long as they work well. I'd like to spend less than $300. Any suggestions? Are wagon headlights any different from sedan or hatchback headlights? Is there cross-compatibility between model years within Gen I?

Thanks in advance.

·
Rally Racer
2,951 Posts
All the different GG and GY headlights are interchangeable between 2003 and 2007.
2003-2005 are generally chrome inside and will come with either fog lamps or none.
The 2006-2007(8) lamps have black insides and come with or without fogs. They may also have HID projectors opposed to halogen.
The Mazdaspeed 6 will have HID and manual levelers.
All will fit.
If you don't have the fog lamp switch on your headlight stalk then you are without. If you wanted them you could buy the headlight and install the correct stalk.

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/...essories/headlight/replacement/set-arbm100109

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/...essories/headlight/replacement/set-arbm100107

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're done here, y'all. DrFeelGood has answered my questions, including some I didn't know I had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure, though I definitely don't like the prices on the new ones I'm finding (and they don't even come with bulbs). Why? Do you have a used pair to sell? If so, how is the wiring?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Im in the process of moving and decided to part the Hatch out, but it may be a couple months till i get to that since the garage still has stuff that my friends need to move out. Too many "ifs" motor wise and i dont wanna dump $5k for a used motor. I know some of the wiring is shorting cause of the insulation falling off (at least on the 192's in the high beams, ive taped them so they work currently), but my plan was to replace it all before selling them as they work flawlessly (only 123k on the car), i polished them a couple years back, ill leave it up to whomever buys them if they want new lenses. I will provide plenty of pics too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll go ahead and buy some new ones. Since I'm driving this car to work every day, and part of that drive is before sunrise, it would be better if I could get the problem taken care of quickly. I'm sorry to hear about your hatchback, though. I always thought those were cool.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My 03 sedan has the same issues about the wires being rotten. I'll be a addressing the wires soon enough when I have the headlights open for the retrofit. I'm lucky enough to not have any issues in the headlights so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts