Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, or if there is even another thread of this somewhere else, but I figured I should just go and put this out here.

I'm a current owner of a '07 Speed3, which I love dearly, but I'm selling it this weekend :( in order to get a Speed6...need that AWD. So, I'm looking at different sites to see what kind of offerings there are, and I just wanted to know if there are any differences between the '06 and '07 speed6?

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
The warranty on the 06 ms6 is 4yr/50k bumper to bumper. 07 warranty is 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, but 5yr/60k powertrain. Mechanically, the cars are identical other than the cold pipe. The 06 cold pipe is all aluminum, the 07s have a silicone coupler. There is not much difference between the two model years, so I would go for one with the lowest mileage and that is CPO (if you are not planning to mod).

Edit: white water pearl and black cherry mica were only available in 06, same goes for the two tone leather interior.

Reactions: supadm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mica, Thanks so much for your help. It really does make a difference after all, when one has limited capital, to buy a car one model year earlier so that its cheaper.

While we're on the subject of the Speed6, I was wondering if you know anything about any problems that are associated with it? I've seen posts about people with power fall offs, lack of acceleration, exhaust spewing smoke...do you think I should worry about any of these?

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
If you are planning on modding this car and expecting big #s, then I would look for a more developed platform. However, if you are looking for a quick daily driver then this is a great car. The biggest issue with this car is the smokey turbo. When you go look at these cars and test drive them, this is the main thing I would be looking for. The second cat seems to mask the smoke, but I have found a way around it. My car smoked with just 2000 miles on the clock (and I have a late build 2007) after I removed the second cat. If I put the cat back on, the smoke would go away. So, to see if a stock car smokes, try and do this on a test drive:
1. Warm up the car
2. Drive it pretty hard, definitely go into boost
3. Pull over to the side of the road or parking lot
4. Let the car sit for little bit (5 minutes ish or less)
5. Give the car throttle or accelerate mildly. (have the dealer or owner do this while you stand behind and watch) If a plume of blue smoke comes out, you need a new turbo.

I know many people that have used that method to reproduce the turbo smoke for dealers, including myself.

The other "common" issue are the rear diff mounts. If you plan on launching this car you will need to get the upgraded mounts. Otherwise the factory mounts can break and cause a whole bunch of damage.

Stutter is very common with these cars too, some people call it power loss. For me it happens on almost every 2-3 shift when I go full throttle in 3rd. The car seems to stumble over itself and you will hear a pop pop pop. There really is no guaranteed fix for this. For some new plugs take care of the issue, for others the spring stretch mod takes care of it.

My opinion: Even with the issues this car has, I love it. I have few bolt on mods, including exhaust, intake and upgraded top mount intercooler and the car runs great. I mainly do highway driving, and this car is a highway cruiser. I average around 23-24mpg with city/highway mix, which I think is pretty good. The car is fairly exclusive, and it is super incognito. If you decide this is the car you want, I would make sure to check for the turbo smoke and do an engine compression test.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
06 also had liquid platinum color available

Reactions: sp33dy6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are planning on modding this car and expecting big #s, then I would look for a more developed platform. However, if you are looking for a quick daily driver then this is a great car. The biggest issue with this car is the smokey turbo. When you go look at these cars and test drive them, this is the main thing I would be looking for. The second cat seems to mask the smoke, but I have found a way around it. My car smoked with just 2000 miles on the clock (and I have a late build 2007) after I removed the second cat. If I put the cat back on, the smoke would go away. So, to see if a stock car smokes, try and do this on a test drive:
1. Warm up the car
2. Drive it pretty hard, definitely go into boost
3. Pull over to the side of the road or parking lot
4. Let the car sit for little bit (5 minutes ish or less)
5. Give the car throttle or accelerate mildly. (have the dealer or owner do this while you stand behind and watch) If a plume of blue smoke comes out, you need a new turbo.

I know many people that have used that method to reproduce the turbo smoke for dealers, including myself.

The other "common" issue are the rear diff mounts. If you plan on launching this car you will need to get the upgraded mounts. Otherwise the factory mounts can break and cause a whole bunch of damage.

Stutter is very common with these cars too, some people call it power loss. For me it happens on almost every 2-3 shift when I go full throttle in 3rd. The car seems to stumble over itself and you will hear a pop pop pop. There really is no guaranteed fix for this. For some new plugs take care of the issue, for others the spring stretch mod takes care of it.

My opinion: Even with the issues this car has, I love it. I have few bolt on mods, including exhaust, intake and upgraded top mount intercooler and the car runs great. I mainly do highway driving, and this car is a highway cruiser. I average around 23-24mpg with city/highway mix, which I think is pretty good. The car is fairly exclusive, and it is super incognito. If you decide this is the car you want, I would make sure to check for the turbo smoke and do an engine compression test.
Mica, thanks for the advice on this. I do really like the car, and it seems to have many more pros than it does cons...barring any really outstanding issues, I think I'll enjoy it alot.

A couple of last things. With regard to the rear diff mounts, what did you mean by "Launching" it? Is that merely going on tracks, or is that all inclusive of getting away from the stoplight faster than all the other cars?

And If I wanted to perform a couple of basic mods on the car, would the ones that you already have be the ones that you recommend to get?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently purchased an 06 MS6. You know what? I wouldn´t trade it for the world... STI´s, Evo´s of all generations and all muscle of sorts can enjoy their SUPER speedy ways. This is an AWESOME speedy daily driver. It´s the car that you jump in and just go! Short trip or long drawn adventure, anyone who purchases this fine vehicle will enjoy either one and never look back.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have recently purchased an 06 MS6. You know what? I wouldn´t trade it for the world... STI´s, Evo´s of all generations and all muscle of sorts can enjoy their SUPER speedy ways. This is an AWESOME speedy daily driver. It´s the car that you jump in and just go! Short trip or long drawn adventure, anyone who purchases this fine vehicle will enjoy either one and never look back.
Unless you try to turn it into a race car... then get your wallet out and a box of tissues for those tears.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Mica, thanks for the advice on this. I do really like the car, and it seems to have many more pros than it does cons...barring any really outstanding issues, I think I'll enjoy it alot.

A couple of last things. With regard to the rear diff mounts, what did you mean by "Launching" it? Is that merely going on tracks, or is that all inclusive of getting away from the stoplight faster than all the other cars?

And If I wanted to perform a couple of basic mods on the car, would the ones that you already have be the ones that you recommend to get?
You can take off quickly, that is not an issue. But if you dump your clutch at 4000+ rpms that rear mount will not like you. And as for basic mods go, yea I would definitely recommend the mods that I have. You should search the forum for any of the mods you are thinking of doing, as there are tons of reviews/diys on this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am now the proud owner of a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring in Titanium Gray, with 18k miles on it. I won't be able to pick it up for three weeks though. :(

Mica, and everybody else, thanks for all your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts