Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a thread for NHL playoff discussion.

- Buffalo is up 2-0 on the Sens. Great game last night. I hope poor Emery doesn't take all of the blame, Ottawa's scoring has been nonexistent in this series

- Carolina is up 2-0 on the Devils. What a game last night. Devs score with 20.7 seconds left for the win and Carolina ties it with 3.8 seconds left and wins in OT...awesome hockey.

- Anaheim is up 2-0 on Colorado. The Ducks are firing on all cylinders. Bryzgalov goes for the all time shutout record tonight.

- San Jose is up 2-0 on the Oilers. The Sharks are clutch and the Oilers may be out of gas. Coolest arena nickname: The Shark Tank.

--------------------------

Phone Call for Mr. Cup, Mr. Stanley Cup
By Vincent M. Mallozzi
Published: May 7, 2006

Before the start of the 2000-1 National Hockey League playoffs, a Detroit radio station attempting to rev up the Red Wings and their fans invited the Stanley Cup to the Motor City.

That invitation was graciously declined - by Stanley Cup himself.

"They wanted me to visit the city and be their lucky charm," said Cup, 57, a steel mill worker who lives in Saltsburg, Pa. "But I told them that I was just a quiet, redneck country boy, and that city life is a little too wild and crazy for me."

His wife, Sandra, recalled how the phone "rang religiously" for him that year.

"The people in Detroit wanted to carry my husband on their shoulders, hoist him in the air and rub him for luck," she said. "But Stanley is just a shy, blue-collar, blue jeans kind of guy."

Cup, who lives about 40 miles from Pittsburgh, is also a diehard Penguins fan. He and his wife have two daughters; if they had a son, he said, the world would have known Stanley Cup Jr.

In a perfect world for Cup, Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr would skate on the same line again, and people would stop confusing him with the oldest and most well-known sports trophy in North America.

"Sometimes it's hard just to order a pizza," Cup said. "As soon as I tell them that the pizza is going to Stanley Cup's house, they hang up on me."

But being named Stanley Cup is sometimes a good thing.

Eight years ago during the N.H.L. playoffs, Cup, then a coal miner in Maysville, Pa., visited Toronto with several co-workers. One night during that trip, they entered a bar filled with Maple Leafs fans. One of Cup's friends eventually told a bartender that Stanley Cup was in the house.

"At first I had to prove it," Cup said. "But after showing the bartender my identification, he spread the word and the place just went crazy. They wouldn't let us pay for anything after that."

In the early 1930's, the Cup family left Austria for the United States. They settled in Nowrytown, Pa., where Cup's grandfather John owned and operated a dairy farm.

Cup's father, Steven Stanley Cup, was a coal miner, and he had no interest in hockey. When Steven named his son Stanley Joseph, he did not know that the boy was in for a lifetime of raised eyebrows, long stares, identification checks and occasional invitations to hockey parties.

Last month, Cup received another invitation, from OLN, the cable TV outlet for N.H.L. games.

This time, with a little nudging from his wife and daughters - Stephanie, 35, and Sabrina, 32 - he accepted.

"My daughters and I told Stanley that it was the opportunity of a lifetime," Sandra Cup said. "We think he'll have a lot of fun with this."

Cup will serve as the network's N.H.L. ambassador during the conference finals, doing interviews and meeting players and fans to help promote the games. He will also finally get to touch the 114-year-old silver trophy that shares his name.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing the Stanley Cup in person," said Cup, whose daughter Stephanie will accompany him. "To be able to hold it would just be unbelievable. I mean, how many people in this lifetime have been lucky enough to do that?"

Sandra Cup counted herself as one of the lucky few.

"It's true, not too many people can say they held the Stanley Cup," she said. "But I get to hold him every night."

·
Registered
710 Posts
I watched both of Monday's game in misery.

Senators owned the sabres, its was a shooting gallery and they cant put one past Miller. And the goals that the Senators did give up when pee wee hockey mistakes.

Oilers got pounded by the muscle and speed of San Jose. Time to play Harvey and LaRaque more.

I really want a team from Canada to win the Cup. Its about time the Cup went back North. Lets hope the Senators who are the best team talent wise in the League pull out from the 2 nothing hole.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
thats a cute story...hahaha, what an awesome name.

Buffalo/Ottawa series - i knew something like this would happen...i never saw the sabres play all year and then i realized they had 52 wins. yikes. the sens had their goals in the first game, but i really dont see them winning more than 1 game. buffalo to the eastern finals.

Carolina/Devils series - i did not see this coming. brodeur is doing well, but his defense is failing him and the aggression the devils showed against the rangers is simply not there against the canes. cam ward is doing a phenomenal job. i think this is a big stretch for the devils to win 2 games, but i'll say canes in 6.

Anaheim/Colorado series - colorado seems to be running around with the thumbs up their asses. its amazing to see them crush the stars and then just waxed by the ducks. jose theodore continues to prove a point me and my friend have made: crowd him, get one past him, and you'll score a bunch more. he's way too shaky. Ducks in 5.

San Jose/Edmonton series - screw edmonton, sharks in 4.

:p

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Being a Sabres fan, I was dreading the series with Ottawa, despite our domination over Philly, simply because I knew this wouldn't be anything easy for Buffalo. Having watched them play Ottawa during the regular season, I was expecting a high-scoring series, with great offenses and younger goalies.

Having said that, I was BLOWN AWAY by game 1. Unbelieveable! Last night, game two was more tame, but at the expense of Connolly. He definitely had his bell rung, but Ruff said he may be back Wednesday. Dumont and Drury look good, but Miller was unbelievable in goal last night. I'm hoping and praying his stumbles during games 3 and 4 of the Philly series have taught him a lesson, and he won't repeat them, because Ottawa will crush him if if he does.

There's still a LOT of hockey left, but with Buffalo up 2-0 going back home, I'm liking our chances... :)

'Canes/Devils: I think it's too close to call. The Devils can come back and make it a series, and they very well could. I'd hate to play either team in the finals, but it does make for great hockey!

Ducks/Avalanche: Face it, Colorado's done. Bryzgalov may not get the record tonight, but he's impressive to say the least. Ducks to the finals.

Sharks/Oilers: Going with San Jose. Edmonton was fun to watch, but they're tired, and it shows.

AFAIC, this has been one of the best playoff seasons in hockey in a long time. Hope it keeps up!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Go Sharks! I'm hoping for a Sharks vs. Ducks western conf. final. The Sharks 2nd and 3rd lines are too much for the Oilers to handle.
Ville Nieminen has been a wrecking ball for the Sharks.
Steve Bernier, Mark Smith Tom Preissing and Mila Michalek
have stepped up big time for this team.
All I gotta say is that game 2 5-3 penalty kill was the craziest thing....2 broken sticks and and injuried defensmen....crazy play.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ducks won again tonight
[/b]
ducks are gonna sweep that series....the avs look tired and worn out...
down the stretch of the regular season the oilers, ducks and sharks got in playoff mode way before everyone else in the west.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUF/OTT - Connolly (former Erie Otter when we lived there) and Kalinin are both out for game 3 tonight. This should be a good test for the Sabres. If Miller stands on his head again tonight, the Sabres just might be able to do it while in Kanata. Miller faces almost 40-50 shots each night and I wonder if that will take a toll on him eventually. I'd like to see Buffalo win because of their homegrown approach in a relatively small market town. GreyGhost, I don't know your stance but when I lived in Erie, a coworker insisted on hanging on to and complaining about the no goal loss against the Stars. I'd like to see the Senators win too just so they don't add to their long line of goalies who become playoff goats.

NJD/CAR - More than the other 2-0 matchups, I think this game will be pivotal. If NJ can't find the scoring and break Cam Ward, it'll be over. No matter who wins, the East finals will be great hockey.

ANA/COL - Wow, this series is done. Lupal beat the Avs by himself last night? Who is this guy? Bryzgalov gets 2nd all time in the SO dept - he deserves that record with some of the great saves he's been making. Theodore should not be blamed. Hellooo...Hejduk, Sakic, Tanguay...anyone?

SJ/EDM - A win is a win but shouldn't SJ be dominating this team more? A couple of odd bounces and the Oilers could climb back in. I'm thinking SJ in 5 or 6, we'll see if the Oilers can bounce back tonight at home.

I have to agree, this is some of the best playoff hockey I've seen in a while.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm still pissed about the Sabres losing 2 to 1 in triple OT in the Stanley Cup Finals to Dallas in 1999. F* Brett Hull and the bullshit "in the crease" rule they decided not to enforce.

Anyway, being a Sabres fan and a native of WNY, I'm always hoping they make it back to the finals to avenge the 1999 catastrophe. The only problem is, I don't get OLN so I don't get to see the games. F* cable TV too! Bastards!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I dont get OLN either. Since I'm close to Canada, I get the CBC channel ( Canadian Broadcast Channel) and watch games there.

The NHL should have stayed on ESPN.

I'm feeling the Senators break out of it tonight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give this a shot...

"John,
I have just learned that games are being streamed on the Internet through comcast.net. So for those who do not have Centre Ice or OLN, like me, this is great. They air a game every night, it looks like. In your last mailbag, a lot of people complained about not seeing games. So maybe toss this in your article somewhere, and I'm sure some people will love to watch these games. Take it easy.
Gerald Senese
Niagara Falls, N.Y."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2006...john&id=2429157

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
18 Participants
CVette
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing