Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss just got one of these - fully loaded. Sounds sweet and rides damned fine. Lotta engine in that beast.

Doesn't corner as well as a 6, but it has the power in a straight line.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice....I love the new Mustangs. I really need to go test drive one. I sat in a coupe at the car show & was really impressed with the improvements over the pre-05's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My boss just got one of these - fully loaded. Sounds sweet and rides damned fine. Lotta engine in that beast.

Doesn't corner as well as a 6, but it has the power in a straight line.
[/b]
i love them. maybe when i send the kid(s?) off to college, i'll get another 'stang as a mid-life crisis gift.

mustangs are iconic. i love my 'stang, where else can you get such a beast for under 25K?? it's a thrill.

·
Registered
46 Posts
at least, with the 'stang, you can steer with your right foot! ahh, my kingdom for a RWD car...

-s

·
Registered
120 Posts
GTO ... Gran Turismo Omologato. Same price, so much better.
[/b]

well, you're in a minority in that thinking department. the gto sales are abysmal.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dats right girl...tell em...

"now drop down n get ya eagle on..." - LoL

300 horsepower from a 4.6....i think bmw was manage to squeeze what like another 43 horsepower in the European M3 from a 3.2lite....quite pittiful...not to mention it handles alot better...but of course thats my opinon...did love the way i could peel rubber with my friends 98 GT though...car has balls...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
well, you're in a minority in that thinking department. the gto sales are abysmal.
[/b]
As far as being able to respect a fox body mustang or a mid-nineties GT, the new Mustang doesnt cut it in my book, which of course you'll automatically disagree too, but style is a matter of personal taste and expression, performance is a matter of hard fact. The GTO sales might be abysmal but the last time i checked i didnt buy a car based on how well it sells, shit, if that were the case then 99.9% of the people on this board would own a camry/accord. The GTO was never imported to the U.S to sell 50,000 or 100,000 units a year like the target sales for the Mustang. However, for the same price as a Mustang GT you can get a car with a better suspension, a nicer interior, a more powerful motor, build quality, uhm...actually a better everything.

As far as any other factors are involved, head-to-head? Twisties? Whatever your preference calls for...the GTO will own the Mustang, and to top it all off, you wont see a cheesed out V6 version of the GTO out there for sissies/bitches who want the look but not the petroleum bill, and, well you wont see every third car being a GTO either...you know what, i'll keep my GTO, you keep your stang. You're obviously a minority when it comes to performance.

:yesnod:

Mustang GT - 5.1 seconds (0-60) 13.8 seconds (1/4 mile) 147mph (top speed) 170 feet (braking 70mph - 0mph) 17mpg (mpg city)
Estimated MSRP $28,000 True Market Value $28,000

Pontiac GTO - 4.8 seconds (0-60) 13.3 seconds (1/4 mile) 158mph (top speed) 167 feet (braking 70mph - 0mph) 15mpg (mpg City)
Estimated MSRP $33,000 True Market Value $27,000

For its dollar to horsepower comparo, the GTO can't be beat.

:slap:

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as being able to respect a fox body mustang or a mid-nineties GT, the new Mustang doesnt cut it in my book, which of course you'll automatically disagree too, but style is a matter of personal taste and expression, performance is a matter of hard fact. The GTO sales might be abysmal but the last time i checked i didnt buy a car based on how well it sells, shit, if that were the case then 99.9% of the people on this board would own a camry/accord. The GTO was never imported to the U.S to sell 50,000 or 100,000 units a year like the target sales for the Mustang. However, for the same price as a Mustang GT you can get a car with a better suspension, a nicer interior, a more powerful motor, build quality, uhm...actually a better everything.

As far as any other factors are involved, head-to-head? Twisties? Whatever your preference calls for...the GTO will own the Mustang, and to top it all off, you wont see a cheesed out V6 version of the GTO out there for sissies/bitches who want the look but not the petroleum bill, and, well you wont see every third car being a GTO either...you know what, i'll keep my GTO, you keep your stang. You're obviously a minority when it comes to performance.

:yesnod:
Mustang GT - 5.1 seconds (0-60) 13.8 seconds (1/4 mile) 147mph (top speed) 170 feet (braking 70mph - 0mph) 17mpg (mpg city)
Estimated MSRP $28,000 True Market Value $28,000

Pontiac GTO - 4.8 seconds (0-60) 13.3 seconds (1/4 mile) 158mph (top speed) 167 feet (braking 70mph - 0mph) 15mpg (mpg City)
Estimated MSRP $33,000 True Market Value $27,000

For its dollar to horsepower comparo, the GTO can't be beat.

:slap:
[/b]

Typical mindless sheep. Read that GTO sales brochure 1 too many times i see. If the Mustang's handling/rear end is so bad, why is it consistently SPANKING M3's, 911's, etc in the Grand Am circuit? The GTO does not outhandle, outcorner, etc the Mustang. The 05+ GTO is certainly faster in a straight line, and arguably has a nicer interior, but that's it. It rides on a pretty outdated chassis, and weighs damn near 4000 lbs. That is not the recipe for a handling machine. It's hillarious that some of you GTO folks are so threatened by the Mustang that you can't possibly help yourselves from commenting about how you have more HP. Guess what buddy, quoting HP, and spitting out car and driver stats is a ricer move. Most of the GTO folks are solid people, but others, like you, fire off the same BS that you read in the GTO sales brochure. And before you label me a ford whore, given the choice, i'd probably buy the GTO too, mostly because they were such a pathetic sales failure that I could get an 04 for 18k now.

and btw...you are obviously not too well educated in the lineage of your own car, or you would know that there was in fact a V6 Monaro called the CV6 with a 4 spd auto, which managed a whopping 8.4 second 0-60 run. I mean talk about pathetic, a V6 Mustang would walk that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dats right girl...tell em...

"now drop down n get ya eagle on..." - LoL

300 horsepower from a 4.6....i think bmw was manage to squeeze what like another 43 horsepower in the European M3 from a 3.2lite....quite pittiful...not to mention it handles alot better...but of course thats my opinon...did love the way i could peel rubber with my friends 98 GT though...car has balls...
[/b]
Yea and how much torque does it have? It isnt all about horsepower, no low end torque isnt fun, look at our mazda6. BMW did manager to squeeze a lot of HP from their 3.2L I6, but required an insane compression ratio which is why when you FI an E46 you can barely run any boost. This high compression is also a reason why there are a lot of E46 M3 with blown engines. Oh and btw, hp/liter stat is typically a ricer stat.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
just a quick google on info regarding the mustang suspension....

"The rear suspension works well, but the design is the most controversial aspect of the new car. Ford decided to carry over the live rear axle from previous-generation Mustangs rather than replace it with an independent rear suspension—Ford claims previous Mustang owners requested the retention of the live axle, but it was mostly likely a cost-saving measure."

"When pushed hard through corners on a rough section of road, drivers can definitely feel the limitation of the live axle and the tendency for the rear end to want to step out, but it still feels well controlled, stable and predictable. Expect an independent rear suspension in the next Cobra, carrying a much higher price tag than the Mustang GT."

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
and btw...you are obviously not too well educated in the lineage of your own car, or you would know that there was in fact a V6 Monaro called the CV6 with a 4 spd auto, which managed a whopping 8.4 second 0-60 run. I mean talk about pathetic, a V6 Mustang would walk that.
[/b]
You are a funny guy...i was considering disrespecting you like you did me in your reply but then i figure, eh, why bother, your lack of education shows.

So anyway, im right, there was never a GTO with a V6 in it. Not one that you can buy in the U.S, right? The Holden Monaro in Australia may have had a V6, thats 25,000 miles away from here, and not part of this conversation. There is no car named the GTO that comes with a V6 in it, right? However, the GTO is a better car, does out handle the Mustang GT and is also faster in a straight line. If you dont believe it, get your Mustang GT and race a GTO. I've massacred Mustang GT's (straight lines & Twisties). As far as GTO people being solid, and me not being solid, or ricey, lol, dont quit your day job.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Typical mindless sheep. Read that GTO sales brochure 1 too many times i see. If the Mustang's handling/rear end is so bad, why is it consistently SPANKING M3's, 911's, etc in the Grand Am circuit? The GTO does not outhandle, outcorner, etc the Mustang. The 05+ GTO is certainly faster in a straight line, and arguably has a nicer interior, but that's it. It rides on a pretty outdated chassis, and weighs damn near 4000 lbs. That is not the recipe for a handling machine. It's hillarious that some of you GTO folks are so threatened by the Mustang that you can't possibly help yourselves from commenting about how you have more HP. Guess what buddy, quoting HP, and spitting out car and driver stats is a ricer move. Most of the GTO folks are solid people, but others, like you, fire off the same BS that you read in the GTO sales brochure. And before you label me a ford whore, given the choice, i'd probably buy the GTO too, mostly because they were such a pathetic sales failure that I could get an 04 for 18k now.

[/b]
I kind of agree with most of what you said...but the Grand-Am racing? You can't compare the handling of all out race cars to street cars.

All you guys bashing the live-rear axle on the Mustang...have you driven one? I'll admit that I haven't driven one of the new ones. I drove a 2002 GT through some excellent roads in SW Ohio & had a ball. Most of the articles that "bash" Ford for abandoning the IRS, also mention what an incredible job the engineers did with the live rear.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
IRS> LIVE REAR AXLE

you get more grip cornering at the limit of the car with a Independent Rear Suspension.

they just milked the live rear axle for all its worth, and kept it as a cost saving measure..

as for driving one? ill trust top gear's opinion, thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why not? The Cobra will have the exact same suspension setup. And every component on that Grand Am car is available for a regular Mustang. The point is the chassis, and attached components, are designed for handling. If you read up on the Grand Am car, you will see how many parts are bone stock. It's quite interesting.

You are a funny guy...i was considering disrespecting you like you did me in your reply but then i figure, eh, why bother, your lack of education shows.

So anyway, im right, there was never a GTO with a V6 in it. Not one that you can buy in the U.S, right? The Holden Monaro in Australia may have had a V6, thats 25,000 miles away from here, and not part of this conversation. There is no car named the GTO that comes with a V6 in it, right? However, the GTO is a better car, does out handle the Mustang GT and is also faster in a straight line. If you dont believe it, get your Mustang GT and race a GTO. I've massacred Mustang GT's (straight lines & Twisties). As far as GTO people being solid, and me not being solid, or ricey, lol, dont quit your day job.
[/b]

My lack of education? I owned you, you jack-ass. There is no V6 GTO here because it was brought over as a stop gap car because GM had nothing to throw at the Mustang. There is however, one in Australia, where that car is from. Much like there is a V6 Mustang in the US, where the Mustang is from. You keep thinking that 4000 lb pig is a canyon carver. My Thunderbird had IRS too, trust me, it's not the end all be all to handling. Add to that the fact that your gas tank location adds 21 gallons worth of fuel weight toward raising the center of gravity. God, it's people like you that give NJ a bad rap. Go back to Montclair State.

Also, Id love to see you bang out a 0-60 in 4.8 with that disaster of a gear box. It's sad when a short shifter becomes a mandatory mod.

·
Registered
990 Posts
IRS> LIVE REAR AXLE

you get more grip cornering at the limit of the car with a Independent Rear Suspension.
[/b]
ya think? I'm not saying a IRS wouldn't have been better....but the live axle does awfully well.

as for driving one? ill trust top gear's opinion, thank you.
[/b]
yeah, I'd trust a British car show when it comes to reviewing an American car. They're not biased or anything. :sarc: Drive one for yourself, before condemning it...who knows, you might be impressed. Or at the very least, keep an open mind until you've formed your own opinion and not borrowed someone else's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fact is that for drag racing, the live axle helps a lot. I know a lot of Mustang owners who prefer the car with a live axle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
15 Participants
5isiX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing