Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60949CEC-E01E-42FC-9DA4-BCE322643F6F.jpeg Hello my name is Todd, I am a new owner of a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 and I noticed oil underneath the car. I found a pool of oil around this thing underneath the airbox. I’m confused about what this is if anyone can help. I noticed the boot wasn’t on all the way.

·
Rally Racer
3,484 Posts
Hello @ToddM , I don't have an MPS but there is a shift linkage oil seal there.
A26MX-R.png

I would check that the breather is not clogged before taking anything apart. You can see the little cap, up and left, of the leaky seal. If the case can't vent it builds pressure as it heats, and pushes out the seals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello @ToddM , I don't have an MPS but there is a shift linkage oil seal there.
View attachment 242174

I would check that the breather is not clogged before taking anything apart. You can see the little cap, up and left, of the leaky seal. If the case can't vent it builds pressure as it heats, and pushes out the seals.
The breather moves freely up and down, would that then eliminate that possibility? Thank you for your response.

·
Rally Racer
3,484 Posts
The breather moves freely up and down, would that then eliminate that possibility? Thank you for your response.
I think I would detach the valve and clean it with air/solvent to be sure. If it is just the seal that should not be too hard to replace. Make sure everything around it is nice and clean before you open anything up. You don't want any debris falling in if it can be helped.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's the pivot shaft seal, leaking there is pretty common. It's a cheap and fairly easy fix. Most Mazdaspeed 6s and 3s need it fixed sooner or later, I did mine not long ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts