Mazda 6 Forums banner

2006 Mazda6

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  generalinq 
#1 ·
Hi

When I first saw the 06 Mazda6 I thought it looked good. Then when I compared it with the 05 and earlier models, I though it didn't look as good because of the more humble type skirt package they used on the 06.

However, having said that, I don't think the 06 is better or worse than the earlier models in terms on asthetics. I just think it's geared towards a different type of target market. It still looks good but not as 'aggressive'. The more I look at the 06, the more I get used to it.

What are your thoughts?

#6 ·
Side by side:

One of the visual cues that has most people upset is the way the '03-'05 side skirts and front/rear bumpers curve outwardly, away from the body at the bottom and the '06 follows the contour of the body. In most people's view, this looks less aggressive. In front, the bottom grille mesh is now flush with the bumper cover whereas in '03-'05 it was recessed. Again, a less aggressive appearance to most eyes. Most people here felt Mazda should have gone more aggressive in the styling vs. toning it down.

#7 ·
Aww man, don't get Diva started about this! :nana:

The '06 changes wouldn't stop me from buying the car. I do wish they kept the side skirts from the '03-'05's. But as a trade-off, they have the black tails, which look sweet on the Steel Gray. The black tails should've been available starting in '03, as well as the blacked-out headlights.

Which leads me to another gripe, discontinuing the Steel Gray for '06. :swearin: The Tungsten Gray isn't nearly dark enough. But it's another trade off, because I'd probably get the Black Cherry now.

#10 ·
Ahhh didn't notice the recessed grill either. I think the 06 sports grill isn't as nice either. Oh well..guess I should have noticed these things before I bought it! :)

Still a very nice car but your right. A lot of reviews of the 06 still show 05 pics so be careful! The MazdaUSA site is 10x better than the Canadian site (that's usually the case with every car manufacter for some reason) so you get a nice 360 of the car if you want.

#11 ·
Aww man, don't get Diva started about this! :nana:
[/b]
Too late :nana:

Toyoguy essentially stated as the "general" attitude my opinion on it, though the lack of flared ground effect is around the entire circumference of the car. I did want a more aggressive body kit and fascias. After all, just because I am a muture adult with responsibilities does not mean I no longer want style and attitude in my cars.

However, he left out the blocky, out-of-proportion 18" wheels, the hideous cheap fog lights (though at least in the proper location), and all the interior design flaws added.

#13 ·
IMO for Interior: 05 > 06
I like the silver console a lot better than the black. Sure it doesn't allow for easily installing an aftermarket stereo, but stock, it looks like it flows better than the '06.

Why they took off the flap/lid to the center cupholder i have no idea but it really cheapens the look of the car on the 06.

Same goes for the the little flap/lid that goes over the ashtray.

Exterior: okay, the 06 has the black tails for the win, but that's about it.

Let's hear it for the 05 6!

#14 ·
BIG TIME '05 All around , inside/out !!!

As for the stereo in the '06 ..... uuuhhhgggly , and correction ,; it just looks like you can change it ..... but looks are decieving : in that you still can't .... without a Metra Kit Shock !

Can we say , they just couldn't improve on a perfect all-around '03-'05 6 .... and that they shouldn't of messed with what works and fix rather what didn't !??

And don't get me started on the Speed 6 's looks , it gets worst .... the boy racer look with the wide open mouth .... forget it and those mags ! Now look at our mags : a la Porshe 911 (even better) albeit the width .

As for the '05's tail/headlights : I just find 'em perfect as they are contrasting their Red tails & Chrome headlights very well with my Onyx Black !

It is just a work of art all packaged and sculpted in one .... enough to make me want to buy a few more to last me till I expire @ 2050 :)

#16 ·
*shakes SeeMy6's hand vigorously*
Amen, fellow 05 Onyx brother!
I agree with your comments about the Speed 6. I loved the car on paper and was always thumbing through car magazines for pictures and spy photos. I was really disappointed with the final product. I mean...look at those wheels! IMO, the regular 6 looks better (even the 06 :nana:), but of course the nod has to go to the 05's!

I have to agree with zoomnbyu about the tail lighs. Yeah the 06 lights look better but if I could get my hands on some euros, that would certainly hit the spot!

BIG TIME '05 All around , inside/out !!!

As for the stereo in the '06 ..... uuuhhhgggly , and correction ,; it just looks like you can change it ..... but looks are decieving : in that you still can't .... without a Metra Kit Shock !

Can we say , they just couldn't improve on a perfect all-around '03-'05 6 .... and that they shouldn't of messed with what works and fix rather what didn't !??

And don't get me started on the Speed 6 's looks , it gets worst .... the boy racer look with the wide open mouth .... forget it and those mags ! Now look at our mags : a la Porshe 911 (even better) albeit the width .

As for the '05's tail/headlights : I just find 'em perfect as they are contrasting their Red tails & Chrome headlights very well with my Onyx Black !

It is just a work of art all packaged and sculpted in one .... enough to make me want to buy a few more to last me till I expire @ 2050 :)
[/b]

#20 ·
As an '05 owner, I have to say, I did not care much for the '06s but after seeing a few in the real world, they don't look bad.

I like the '05s better, needless to say.

Clean '05 6i, Steel gray.
Nice and sporty without the "Boy Racer" look.

#21 ·
The original '03 -'05 made it the best styled sport sedan on the market. Even with the updates the '06
is still the best styled sports sedan on the market. I was going to buy an '05 but, could not pull it off financially and even with the changes I am still hopimg to buy an '06. I like the black console, reminds me a little of the Acura TL's console and the seats seem better to me. Outside the headlights and tails are an improvement, while the side skirts and bumpers while less aggresive are about equal in my mind. The 18 inch wheels are a plus in my books but, neither of the two styles are very attractive. They do seem to be growing on me a bit though. Overall the exterior changes seem to make the car seem less tall and longer to me. Anybody else seen to get that same feeling when looking at the '06?

#22 ·
The only thing I can think of that can make my '05 better would be the gear shifting dilemma. I remember a thread about the '06s ATX shifting smoother and not having the dreaded lag in the earlier gears. Other than that, I still get the "looks" from others in the parking lot/zoom zoomin on the beltway. And I even drool on myself every now and then when I see Optimus

#23 ·
It's true. When you see the pics and compare against an 05, you wish you had an 05 if you prefer that flared out look. In person, you really can't tell that much unless you really pay attention to it and 'know' the difference. In fact, now that I own an 06, I honestly can say I really like the new look. More of a classy look rather than 'racing' look.. depends what look you want I guess.

Already got used to the new 'insert' style stereo. Doesn't bug me anymore. I think the more I read about little things here and there, the more it drives me crazy when it really shouldn't. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.