Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the headlight assembly on my daughters 2006 Mazda 6 S, when i got the new assembly there were two wires on the connector to the low beam, with no ground wire on the metal piece where the bulb goes in. The original one had only one wire for the bulb and a ground wire on the metal socket where the bulb goes in. I assumed this was a new mod but not sure. Anyway i noticed when she drives at night the lights go bright and dim as she drives, not sure if it is because of the wiring. The one thing i did not check which i will do is to make sure that the metal flat part of the bulb was in the top position. Any other suggestions on lights going bright and dim? Seems to me like it is a ground issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Do both side do this or just the side replaced?
The old one was pulled do to damage, but had no issues prior?

With a hand held multimeter you can measure the battery voltage and watch. If it tracks the dimming its in the whole cars power bus. If the battery is stable, measure the battery ground to the Headlamp low beam lead. Does it fluctuate in voltage. If so you need to track down all connection and make sure they are solid.

Also, use the Ohm function to confirm the Ground from the battery to the lamps ground base is less then 2 ohms. Hint - Short the meters test leads together and read the ohms. Subtract that value from the measurement on the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give that a shot. Both sides were replaced because the plastic lens were scratched and sun faded, they worked before i replaced, they just weren't very bright. The issue i noted only seems to happen when she is driving, not when the car is sitting, so not sure i will see a fluctuation. But i will give your suggestion a shot. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The new connectors have both + and - contacts.. the metal clips visible outside the connector clip onto the "post" (for lack of a better word) of the bulb for the ground, then there is a contact inside the connector which slides onto the center "spade" of the bulb when the connector is pushed all the way on. Check to make sure this connector is pushed on all the way. I might even use some dielectric grease in the connector, as well as the main harness plugging into the back of the entire headlight assembly, to alleviate the possibility of any shorts.

I can take a picture of the bulb connector on a bulb if you want, for reference. (I have a couple headlights dismantled)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new connectors have both + and - contacts.. the metal clips visible outside the connector clip onto the "post" (for lack of a better word) of the bulb for the ground, then there is a contact inside the connector which slides onto the center "spade" of the bulb when the connector is pushed all the way on. Check to make sure this connector is pushed on all the way. I might even use some dielectric grease in the connector, as well as the main harness plugging into the back of the entire headlight assembly, to alleviate the possibility of any shorts.

I can take a picture of the bulb connector on a bulb if you want, for reference. (I have a couple headlights dismantled)
can u shoot me a pic of that bulb connector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts