Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Vehicle: 2006 Mazda 6 Wagon with 3L engine

Issue: I have a bad fan control module which seems to be a common issue on this car. I have no issue replacing the unit, however, just to be sure, I want to check the amperage draw from my 2 radiator cooling fans so I don't blow it again soon. My issue is that I do not have a service manual for this year and as such I do not have the procedure / specs to diagnose. I found some old links to the 2006 workshop manual, however, they are all dead.

Does anyone have information on how to do this test and the values?

Alternatively, what year workshop manual would work for this issue? Ie: is a 2004 basically the same for engine and cooling as a 2006?

Thanks,

·
Registered
211 Posts
PM me an email address and I'll send you a PDF.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
PM me an email address and I'll send you a PDF.
Is there any way you can post a picture or a scanned page copy of just the fan testing procedure here? It woukd likely help someone else (me in fact).

·
Rally Racer
2,815 Posts
2004 Mazda 6 cooling fan motor and control module testing

Is there any way you can post a picture or a scanned page copy of just the fan testing procedure here? It woukd likely help someone else (me in fact).

@twobig86 @zPacKRat @waughoo
I have a test procedure for the 2004. I doubt it is too dissimilar but there have been other wiring changes noted for the Mk1.5 so be alert.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be clear. The 3.0L engine cooling system / engine - what years are the same. is the 2002,3,4,5 the same as the 6?

When was the change?

I'm new to Mazda. the Mk1.5 that you mention is that the 06 model?

thanks

·
Rally Racer
2,815 Posts
Just to be clear. The 3.0L engine cooling system / engine - what years are the same. is the 2002,3,4,5 the same as the 6?

When was the change?

I'm new to Mazda. the Mk1.5 that you mention is that the 06 model?

thanks

Yes. 2003-2005 are interchangeable. In 2006 there was a change (Mk.1.5) making the 2006-2008 (2007ish) interchangeable. The later "facelift" years received changes with electrical (radio, door electronics and climate controls come to mind) and also some chassis stiffening and panel appearance changes. They also implemented a 6speed automatic (Aisin) transmission and a different exhaust routing (v6) which saw a change in the sub-frame and oil pan. There is more I am sure but that is a start.

If the wire coloring and routing are the same I think it is safe to assume it is unchanged. I would expect this to be unchanged throughout the entire 2003-2008 lineup.

I check part numbers from places like rockauto to see if there are any differences when I am salvaging different years parts for my 2004.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I measured the fan draws on my 3.0L and they were around 8 Amps. The procedure above shows 11.8-14.8A. Now to be honest, I didn't make sure my battery was fully charged. so maybe that would allow less amps?

Anyways, I replaced my fan control module and drove the car and when I turned off the key the fan stayed on for about 30 more seconds....then next two key offs resulted in about 5 seconds with the fan running.

Any ideas on what is causing the fans to run after the ignition is turned off? Is there another relay that I should be checking? Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay so another update on this one...driving in traffic with the A/C on. Exact same scenario as the first time and again the A/C stopped working and then the temperature started to climb. This time I popped the hood and left the car running and the fans were in limp mode. Basically kind of on but at a speed where I could see the individual fan blades moving. Obviously not fast enough! These things are loud when they go full speed. Does anyone have any idea on what could be the issue? This is so frustrating. I'm considering going to a mechanic but the problem is intermittent. It's only happened 2x in a month... I let the car cool down and voila it worked again.

any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay so another update on this one...driving in traffic with the A/C on. Exact same scenario as the first time and again the A/C stopped working and then the temperature started to climb. This time I popped the hood and left the car running and the fans were in limp mode. Basically kind of on but at a speed where I could see the individual fan blades moving. Obviously not fast enough! These things are loud when they go full speed. Does anyone have any idea on what could be the issue? This is so frustrating. I'm considering going to a mechanic but the problem is intermittent. It's only happened 2x in a month... I let the car cool down and voila it worked again.

Just curious if you ever solved this? I have the same exact car, same exact problem right now. I had changed my fan controller out for a Gates FCM102 late November because the fans were doing the tell-tale roaring when it was 35F outside. I've got an OEM unit on the way but what did you end up doing here?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm also wondering if you ever figured out the issue. I'm having the exact same problem after going through the exact same steps as you. Very frustrating as it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's always when it's least convenient...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also wondering if you ever figured out the issue. I'm having the exact same problem after going through the exact same steps as you. Very frustrating as it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's always when it's least convenient...

I never got an answer either. However, even though my replacement is a Gates model (the heat sink is metal not plastic) there was enough evidence out there for third party units that I ended up buying an updated OEM Mazda unit.

Except, I have not had the problem since I posted that. . Granted, it has not been 105F and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic because of COVID (and I haven't been driving as much), but I have the OE Mazda unit sitting on my work bench ready to go in and some alligator clips put together for when I will do the fan draw tests, too.

The updated part is L510-15-15Y and I got it from mazda-parts.com for $111.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts