Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't get anything. Is there any difference between the brakes on the '06 and the '03-'05 models? I'm just wondering if the brake kits for '03-'05 will work on the '06. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if I were to get a big brake kit the rotors would be changed as well, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm just wondering if all the mountings and hydraulic lines are the same.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thats pretty annoying with all manufacturers. Why don't they just put the larger rotors on during the car's first model year? Or is it deliberate to make it seem like an improvement was implemented?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
if there are larger rotors, then the caliper would be at a different hight, so the bracket would be different. but a typical BBK would replace that bracket, so it wouldn't be an issue. don't have any guarantee's until someone tries it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I searched and didn't get anything. Is there any difference between the brakes on the '06 and the '03-'05 models? I'm just wondering if the brake kits for '03-'05 will work on the '06. Thanks. [/b]
Front and rear pads are also different. Not a lot of manufacturers have yet released pads for the 06 cars. Carbotech has, but they're rather pricey; $99/axle from Revolution Performance Motorsports. Donny is having a group buy on them and rotors even as I type this. Porterfield Braks also was willing to make a set for me, but they would have to custom cut the backing plates. This translates into expensive, as they wanted $120-$130 per axle set for their R4-S carbon kevlar pads.

Unless you're really in need of new pads immediately have a little patience and let the manufacturers catch up with the new designs.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Front and rear pads are also different. Not a lot of manufacturers have yet released pads for the 06 cars. Carbotech has, but they're rather pricey; $99/axle from Revolution Performance Motorsports. Donny is having a group buy on them and rotors even as I type this. Porterfield Braks also was willing to make a set for me, but they would have to custom cut the backing plates. This translates into expensive, as they wanted $120-$130 per axle set for their R4-S carbon kevlar pads.

Unless you're really in need of new pads immediately have a little patience and let the manufacturers catch up with the new designs.
[/b]
BBK's come with oversized 2 or 4 piston calipers, and have to come with new pads that are a different size. so wether or not a company makes pads for an 06 doesn't matter when going to a bbk.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thats pretty annoying with all manufacturers. Why don't they just put the larger rotors on during the car's first model year? Or is it deliberate to make it seem like an improvement was implemented? [/b]
Unless you're really stuck on the consipracy theory, most likely they found the original brakes a bit lacking in performance and upgraded the package. Increasing weight could also be the reason for deciding on a bigger brake package.

BBK's come with oversized 2 or 4 piston calipers, and have to come with new pads that are a different size, so wether or not a company makes pads for an 06 doesn't matter when going to a bbk. [/b]

That's absoultely correct, but the original poster wasn't asking about a BBK, just pad availability for the '06 models. My reply was addressing the issue of currently available pads for the stock brake system.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
That's absoultely correct, but the original poster wasn't asking about a BBK, just pad availability for the '06 models. My reply was addressing the issue of currently available pads for the stock brake system.
[/b]
no, actually he was asking about bbk's... :nana:

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Unless you're really stuck on the consipracy theory, most likely they found the original brakes a bit lacking in performance and upgraded the package.
[/b]
I gotta disagree with that one. Look through all the posts between 03-04 and you'll have countless testimonials about how great the brakes are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts