Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This applies to the 2006 6i. Not sure if other years are similar.

Did the oil change today at 1164 miles. Not as clean as I would have liked, that damn oil canister is a finicky bugger.

1. The oil drain plug has a 13mm head. I won't ever worry about that again, Fumoto installed!
2. 6mm hex head on the oil filter canister drain plug, not 6.5mm.

Some other notes of interest:
-Used OE filter. Fram is most similar but with different 'felt'. Purolator is a different design altogether. Got my OE filter for ~$7 including tax. Not worth buying anything else.
-O-Rings suck to remove.
-Draining & replacing the filter was the messiest part of the job.
-Fumoto valve will sit near upside-down. No other option. Does not interfere with the plastic undershield.

With a 5qt jug of Motorcraft 5w-20, total cost was ~$18. Not bad for spending a little quality time under my baby.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good for you....

I caught my dealer not changing the oil and charging for it....
the same scam they pull at the jiffy lubes....

Out here its a cultural thing.... I would loved to have bought into their whole 'service'
program, but the first time they rotated my tires they messed up the finish on two, they wobbled real bad and they refused to replace them or do anything. I found later that the rear frame was loose, while poking
around under the car in my driveway at home. I wouldn't be surprised if a bearing or pin were bent.

At any rate, I have to assume that the dealer oil changes I paid for at 1k, 3k, 6k, 9k and 10k never got done..... a couple of them were freebees

I started doing my own at 12k, and aside from using a pipe wrench on the drain plug and stripping out the tray bolts pretty good, the dealer, not me, there was tons of debris in the oil filter which cleared up after two more changes....
So I'll assume it may have never been changed.... maybe just every other one, because that is a california scam artists safe bet way of doing things.

I also found the levels all off, tires, engine, trans, power steering, brakes, no washer fluid and dirt in most of the the caps, also there was tons of debris in the fuel cap area. This I can chalk up to basic engine detailing of which I am capable, but the levels and dirt, badd..

Also do the MerconV, 17mm wrench, while you are in there, I replaced about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 qt of that....

*the trans seem real sensitive to the fill lines = runs smoother on the lesser end = real smooth on the bottom line in fact

that's all - btw, I dig totally your avatar, far out, mad science...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Good for you....

I caught my dealer not changing the oil and charging for it....
the same scam they pull at the jiffy lubes....

Out here its a cultural thing.... I would loved to have bought into their whole 'service'
program, but the first time they rotated my tires they messed up the finish on two, they wobbled real bad and they refused to replace them or do anything. I found later that the rear frame was loose, while poking
around under the car in my driveway at home. I wouldn't be surprised if a bearing or pin were bent.

At any rate, I have to assume that the dealer oil changes I paid for at 1k, 3k, 6k, 9k and 10k never got done..... a couple of them were freebees

I started doing my own at 12k, and aside from using a pipe wrench on the drain plug and stripping out the tray bolts pretty good, the dealer, not me, there was tons of debris in the oil filter which cleared up after two more changes....
So I'll assume it may have never been changed.... maybe just every other one, because that is a california scam artists safe bet way of doing things.

I also found the levels all off, tires, engine, trans, power steering, brakes, no washer fluid and dirt in most of the the caps, also there was tons of debris in the fuel cap area. This I can chalk up to basic engine detailing of which I am capable, but the levels and dirt, badd..

Also do the MerconV, 17mm wrench, while you are in there, I replaced about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 qt of that....

*the trans seem real sensitive to the fill lines = runs smoother on the lesser end = real smooth on the bottom line in fact

that's all - btw, I dig totally your avatar, far out, mad science... [/b]
"cultural thing" or not, thats just sad........something so simple as an oil change being scammed. if thats the California culture I'm glad to be a midwesterner......not that we don't have our share of scams here either, but I dont think its gotten that bad yet.
Good reason to follow the previous poster's lead and do your own: its educational, keeps you alert to the condition of your car, and you have the peace of mind in knowing its done correctly.
Hint to everyone doing their own oil changes, 4cyl or V6, a can of brake cleaner is your friend, it will help clean up leaks and spills and just a lot of the general mess of an oil change.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I found out about brake cleaner as oil cleanup by accident.. what a find! The changes on the 6 actually leave the drivetrain cleaner but my hands messier. Luckily the couple times on my other car that I've had a grease monkey do it, they did the oil & filter change properly, but they usually skip most of the other services they promise.

BTW, my avatar is my company's logo, I work as an aerial survey/photography pilot. I guess it does kinda look like there should be a cow being beamed up.. LOL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts