Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and looked and this appears to be possible. That some 6s came with steel 16" wheels and plastic hubcaps.
This 2006 6 I bought appears to be doing well. Driven it 1000 miles so far. The tires are barely legal and the RF 17" alloy wheel is bent. The other alloys are pretty beat up.
So it looks like I'll be buying new wheels and tires.
All the posts I've seen are going from 17 to 18 or bigger wheels. I'm going backwards. 17" to 16"
I want to make sure Mazda 16" wheels part number 9965B06560 will fit my 2006 4door 6 with 2.3L engine.

Anyone have any comments?

I know some will ask why go from 17 alloy to 16 steel and here's why:
1. I can straighten most pothole bends in steel rims with a large mallet. Alloy wheels cost $100 to professionally fix by me.
2. I prefer the softer ride of the higher profile tires
3. I don't care what the wheels look like. Alloys look better. But this is basic transportation for me.

Aftermarket reproduction wheels that look like the ones on my car are $105. Not a bad price and if I stay with 17" I'll buy these.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I'm new to Mazda I want to make sure. Every brand/model of car is a learning curve for me. This forum speeds up the learning curve and it's a great resource.
I'm asking because there could be some (unknown to me) issue with my exact model and using 16" wheels. Buying new wheels and tires that don't fit is an expensive mistake I don't want to make.

·
Super Moderator
17,306 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great! Thanks to all who replied. I have been seeing Mazda 3 16" wheels on craigslist so will check them out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mazda was nice and made most all their wheels interchangeable. If I wanted to, I could swap any wheels from my 6, 5 and 3 without any problems.

And if you're just looking for steelies, if recommend going on Facebook marketplace, where people are practically giving them away. The year before last, I bought a set of steelies with snow tires mounted on then from a guy for $60 for all 4. He was moving out of state and they came off his wife's old 3. They popped right on my 5 and had a season left on the tread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts