Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've noticed our 2006 4cyl auto mazda6 is misshifting usually on 2-3. It almost seems like it is slipping the clutch during the shift.

accelerating it gets to the top of the range it will shift at (depending on your throttle angle, I assume) then it makes like it's going to shift, jumps up about 500rpm, then shifts after a second.

has anyone else experienced this type of thing? the dealership did some sort of TCM flash, but it is still doing it afterward. It's going back to the dealership this weekend, I'm just curious as to whether or not they will be able to fix it

·
Registered
531 Posts
we've noticed our 2006 4cyl auto mazda6 is misshifting usually on 2-3. It almost seems like it is slipping the clutch during the shift.

accelerating it gets to the top of the range it will shift at (depending on your throttle angle, I assume) then it makes like it's going to shift, jumps up about 500rpm, then shifts after a second.

has anyone else experienced this type of thing? the dealership did some sort of TCM flash, but it is still doing it afterward. It's going back to the dealership this weekend, I'm just curious as to whether or not they will be able to fix it
[/b]

They will probably replace it. It has happened to some of the v6 5-speeds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They will probably replace it. It has happened to some of the v6 5-speeds.
[/b]
I've got about 7000 on my auto 4 cyl 06. The most lag happens now between 1-2. Its very sensitive, especially in m-mode. If I shift at any point above 2500, it usually lags at least 500 before it actually shifts. This is relative to how much throttle I apply. It seems like each month that goes on it gets more and more predictable. Between 2nd and 3rd I do experinece SOME overdrive but i've learned now how to control it for the most part. at 8000 i'm going for the maintenece check.Probably then i'm gonna complain about it anf get them to check it. It drives and Handles great IMO. Getting the rear sway is my next mod. Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
funny i see this thread...over the past 3-4 weeks i have noticed a lag between 2-3 gears. I have an 06 V-6 6 speed auto. the lag is pretty pronounced, and it seems to be getting worse. Mileage is around 7500.

If it gets any worse, ill take it in, but otherwise ill just wait for my next serivce.

-alex

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've got about 7000 on my auto 4 cyl 06. The most lag happens now between 1-2. Its very sensitive, especially in m-mode. If I shift at any point above 2500, it usually lags at least 500 before it actually shifts. This is relative to how much throttle I apply. It seems like each month that goes on it gets more and more predictable. Between 2nd and 3rd I do experinece SOME overdrive but i've learned now how to control it for the most part. at 8000 i'm going for the maintenece check.Probably then i'm gonna complain about it anf get them to check it. It drives and Handles great IMO. Getting the rear sway is my next mod. Good Luck!
[/b]
The 500 rpm lag sounds normal for a tiptronic and yes it usually seems larger between 1-2 and is throttle as well as temperature dependent. If it gets excessive, it could mean that the tranny is really hot or has another problem. From your description though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, putting in a tranny cooler will help a lot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 500 rpm lag sounds normal for a tiptronic and yes it usually seems larger between 1-2 and is throttle as well as temperature dependent. If it gets excessive, it could mean that the tranny is really hot or has another problem. From your description though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, putting in a tranny cooler will help a lot.
[/b]

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the tranny cooler threads this week and give it some consideration now. My girlsfriends got a 330 coupe and the tiptronic is night and day compared to the 6's in terms of responsivness. But for the 15k i paid for this ride, its well worth the money. I can even argue tht the handling is basically the same IMO. When the sways are put in i'm never gonna want to get out of this car! I'm planning on the progress rear and racing beat front.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the tranny cooler threads this week and give it some consideration now. My girlsfriends got a 330 coupe and the tiptronic is night and day compared to the 6's in terms of responsivness. But for the 15k i paid for this ride, its well worth the money. I can even argue tht the handling is basically the same IMO. When the sways are put in i'm never gonna want to get out of this car! I'm planning on the progress rear and racing beat front.
[/b]

Yeah the trannies in those cars (330) are a lot more sophisticated and some even have different modes they can operate in. I have no doubt it's more responsive and puts more power to the pavement. You get what you pay for I guess.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
thank you. im very glad someone else has had this problem.

coming from the 04 6i 4 speed ATX, i was used to a bit of lag on that tranny. the 06 6i 5 speed really does feel like a torque converter or clutch is bad. it happens with 1st and 2nd gears at ANY sort of throttle, on a random basis. it happens in both D and M, although M is significantly more sensitive. on 2 occasions i've had it climb 1,250 to 1,500 rpm before "catching" and properly resting in the next gear.

i let my local dealer know that i was having issues but i haven't set anything up yet.

i've got just under 5,000 miles on my 06 (and i've have it since the last week of july) and i've been keeping an eye on that 10,000 mile mark for the transmission warranty.

i would've done the tranny cooler already, but if there's something really fucked up with the 06 5-speed, i want to make sure i can't be blamed for something thats faulty in the first place. on my next oil change im going to make them take a look at it, there is definitely something wrong with it.

oh, i just want to mention, there really isn't much lag at all with the 06 5speed. it really is 250rpm or less, not 500/750 like the older ATX models or when its "slipping". it only seems like it lags because there's not enough power to keep it moving quickly through the rpm range. its very, very fast compared to the dinosaur-like 4-speed ATX in the 04; it surprised the hell out of me when i first drove it. but might the problem be that its a bit too fast?

please keep this thread updated with any developments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you. im very glad someone else has had this problem.

coming from the 04 6i 4 speed ATX, i was used to a bit of lag on that tranny. the 06 6i 5 speed really does feel like a torque converter or clutch is bad. it happens with 1st and 2nd gears at ANY sort of throttle, on a random basis. it happens in both D and M, although M is significantly more sensitive. on 2 occasions i've had it climb 1,250 to 1,500 rpm before "catching" and properly resting in the next gear.

i let my local dealer know that i was having issues but i haven't set anything up yet.
[/b]
YES! This is exactly what my wife has been describing. I also saw it myself once, though I do not drive the car often
We took it in to the dealership but they were not able to repliate the problem. It happens very seldom. But it's on the record now that we had the issue under 5000km, so if it starts happening regularly enough for a tech to replicate, we can get it fixed

I wasn't aware that the trans warranty was only 10,000miles, perhaps that's just a US thing? We purchased a mazda (canada) extended warranty to cover everything up to 80,000, at which point our lease will be up and we'll bring the car back. I should double check that it does cover everything, though...

will update as events dictate

·
Registered
149 Posts
YES! This is exactly what my wife has been describing. I also saw it myself once, though I do not drive the car often
We took it in to the dealership but they were not able to repliate the problem. It happens very seldom. But it's on the record now that we had the issue under 5000km, so if it starts happening regularly enough for a tech to replicate, we can get it fixed

I wasn't aware that the trans warranty was only 10,000miles, perhaps that's just a US thing? We purchased a mazda (canada) extended warranty to cover everything up to 80,000, at which point our lease will be up and we'll bring the car back. I should double check that it does cover everything, though...

will update as events dictate
[/b]

This delay crap is getting worse. my prob is between 1st and 2nd. tcm update will be the first thing talked about. F my free touch up paint. I want my car working the way it was. It was crazy. I got in the car one day started driving and now its totally different then before. ahhhhhh

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My 05 6spd ATX 6s had a bad engine mount in it and I brought it in to have it looked at, Mazda fixed it under my extended warranty. I told them I was having trouble from 4th gear to 5th gear and 6th, everytime it went from 4th to 5th after driving for about 15 minutes in it, 5th sometimes would miss shifts and cause a miss gear while driving which made me let go of the gas to regrab the gear and go again. I told them all about it and they replaced my engine mount, I'm still curious on my actual tranny though. I've read so much about it and the best possible outcome= tranny cooler. The reason being, is our ATX tranny's run at 188degrees Fahrenheit at IDLE. Imagine when we actually drive it!!!!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
its not a bang for us, its just that the rpms keep climbing regardless of whether we have our foot on the gas or not. im worried that one day, when im autocrossing and im coming into a turn sitting at 5500rpms, i hit the gas on the exit then shift, that it'll do this. in addition to the longevity concerns i have of the transmission.

i got my oil change on monday and a tech drove with me, but i couldn't recreate the mis-shift. really pisses me off, especially when the other dealer i went to said they checked it out/test drove it, when they never did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 05 6 speed atx and it seems to shift funny between 2 and 3. Not really a slip but a little pause betwwen. Does anyone else have this problem? It does not do it at all times. Seems when I step on it a little (not hot rodding) is when I notice it. I was not sure if this is typical or not. I had a monte carlo a few years ago and it had the lock uo torque converter. Its sort of like that but not as noticeable as the lock up converters.
Kev

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I took my 05 in and they are giving me a new trans (6 speed ATX). They first tried the flash thing but that did nothing. I went to 2 dealerships. They said its rare but after reading a lot of your posts I don't think it such a rare thing. I just hope it works well from here on out.

Kev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts